When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's Alive - My Frankin UPO (Courtesy of Rex)

jhalsey205

I had a well worn UPO from Trusty and now the proud owner of a freshly converted Frankin UPO. I sourced the "gen" parts via Ofrei. Contacted a highly recommended "modifier," Rex (has his own sub forum over at RepGeek) to perform the modifications. He installed:

- gen crystal

- gen dial

- gen hands

- gen second hand

- gen crown

- gen crown tube (laser welded in)

Rex also installed a bezel insert I procured off ebay; rebuilt the pearl insert.

The watch is amazing. My photography skills do not do it justice.

FrankenUPO-full;init:.jpg

...Roughly how much is invested? (I hope that's not a rude question. If so, ignore!)

You really shouldn't have asked...It will probably shock you... :p

Awesome list of mods...Wear it well!

This should last you a lifetime...

P.S.

I will "guess-timate" that he probably has over $1k invested (including the original purchase price of the watch).

UPO (eta movement) via Trusty around $300

Gen Parts, just under $500

-Dial: $220

-Crystal: $170

-Crown: $36

-Tube: $7

-Hands: $38

-Second hand: $18

Labor

-Probably not appropriate to comment on Rex's fee, but very reasonable given time (modifications, welding tube in place, pearl replacement, watch service). That said, DuDro is definitely in the ball park. I will add - I am very happy with the final product.

Edited by jhalsey205

Very nice watch, congrats!

But IMO it gets too expensive! On german wach fairs you can found a gen with papers for around 1500,-€...and you have maybe over the half price invested!

If I would invest the half price in all my watches I have, my wife....no.....better not to think about what would happen... :girl_devil::black_eye:

Rexie did mine as well though mine already came modded with gen crown and tube from the previous owner. I am equally proud and amazed at the job he did and the professionalism throughout!!! Beautiful watch about as gen as it gets with respect to the modibility (if thats even a word) in that many of the key genuine parts are so readily availible from Otto Frei. How many of us would kill to have the same Panerai parts so easily attainable?? Sigh....................

Enjoy your beautiful watch and take some more pics.

Love it...really nice watch and pretty good pricing on the gen parts...

I remember Rex's service prices being somewhere between $100-200 depending on the movement / other stuff you wanted him to do... I've never used him but that's what he quoted me for repairing a dead movement/overhaul/some other stuff... fairly reasonable

...I noticed you have been a member of RWG for 18 months and this was only your second post, it's sure been a long time coming, don't be a stranger from now on :) ...

Yep - in that time I have done more lurking than posting... with little to say and a lot to learn. This site (and its members) have been a great resource. In that time, I have acquired:

-UPO

-BK

Edited by jhalsey205

We have a laser and a puc welder in house.

I have done both laser and puc welds on tubes, dial feet (I hate it), crowns, new pins. The list goes on and on.

Here is a YouTube video of the PUC. This is not our machine, but same the same idea. There are 3 IIRC machines on the market right now and we got a great deal on our machine through a local company so we bought it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdNCrS5_EY

Here is a video of a LaserStar the machine we have doing a earring post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twPST2FKWFY

To be honest either of them work just fine for the tube weld.

All it needs to be done is tacked in place in a few places, then it is good to go.

Cost for all of my work was close to $200.00

I would love to take a video of the PUC in action but the "flash" is enough to burn your eyes in the next room. One thing we don't have is a camera capable of doing that or super macro stuff.

Got to remember Zig that we have 18 employees, a GIA certified gemologist, a master goldsmith, me (rexthewatchman) and a 5k sq foot show room. Not to mention access to a Master Watchmaker for Rolex service, a casting facility for our 3d Jewelry design (we do in house), Dial and Watch restoration close by (they take along time though), CNC Engraving (done in house) and Laser Engraving by a partner down the road. Got to keep up with the Joneses so to speak.

We cover all bases.

Because this is the armchair internet, I am not sure how I should take that comment..

Knowing The Zigmeister, I definitely don't think he meant anything sly, but more along the lines that in his case, because he is a one man shop he is still able to do quality work even though he does not have a lot of work space...but is limited in scope to what he can offer services for, but recognizes that you have much more resources available in terms of not only space and equipment but qualified employees as well, so are able to do quality work as well but with a much larger portfolio of services.

I would hate to put words in people's mouths, but if there's one person who doesn't play around with doublespeak...that would be Zig.

Much better pics, looks great. I just finished the same mods on one yesterday, with a nice Chieftang AR crystal added in.

It must be the shooting angle or something, but the pearl doesn't look centered on the 12 marker in any of the pics you have shown.

RG

yep - i think it is a function of photographer rather than the watch. On my wrist, the pearl appears dead on 12. Let's see if this is any better:

IMG_1530.JPG