When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little help needed with my new Link Chronograph Please

RyanJ

Hi, I recieved on christmas day from my perants the Tag Heuer Link Chronograph, purchased from Josh and it works perfectally and hasnet missed a second since christmas day, the stopwatch works perfectally and I have made sure to start then stop then reset. I was very careful to correct the date at the right time on christmas day according to the FAQ on the 7750 movements. However recently I started the stopwatch, stopped it and reset it only to find the needle on the bottom dial swung round to just past the 3 position.

tagheuerlinkchronographvl2.jpg

w800.png

What is this bottom dial used for?

And can I correct it so it points back to 12?

Thankyou very much for your time and I await your responses

The bottom hand is chrono hours.

I'm not an expert, but there is 2 options, hopefully someone will confirm.

1st - the hrs hand resets when a hammer strikes a heart shaped cam on the wheel, the face of the hammer sits across the top, and the hand should be zeroed.

posibility 1 would be the hammer is sitting on the heart wheel, but it hasn't slid/ spun to the rest position

2nd idea - if further uses of the chrono leave it sitting in the same place, then it could be the hand slipping, as the hammer strikes the heart wheel quite violently, which could spin the gear but slip the hand.

As a result, many people say when finised with the chrono, run it till the secs are between 10/2 stop again, and reset, as the hammer is close to the heart wheel rest position, and there isn't much spinning to do.

Technically, the chrono hrs would have been somewhere near this position, unless you had it running for 6 hours, so i'm not sure what that means.

Anyone care to comment on my theories?

Bottom subdial is the 12 hour counter.

You can try pressing harder on the bottom pusher, as this one is a direct reset, the pusher has to go fully in to actually move it back to "12".

If that doesn't work, the only solution short of sending it out for repair is to let the chrono run until the hand is at "12" and then stop and re-set it.

RG

The bottom hand is chrono hours.

I'm not an expert, but there is 2 options, hopefully someone will confirm.

1st - the hrs hand resets when a hammer strikes a heart shaped cam on the wheel, the face of the hammer sits across the top, and the hand should be zeroed.

posibility 1 would be the hammer is sitting on the heart wheel, but it hasn't slid/ spun to the rest position

2nd idea - if further uses of the chrono leave it sitting in the same place, then it could be the hand slipping, as the hammer strikes the heart wheel quite violently, which could spin the gear but slip the hand.

As a result, many people say when finised with the chrono, run it till the secs are between 10/2 stop again, and reset, as the hammer is close to the heart wheel rest position, and there isn't much spinning to do.

Technically, the chrono hrs would have been somewhere near this position, unless you had it running for 6 hours, so i'm not sure what that means.

Anyone care to comment on my theories?

That only applies to the seconds and minute counters, they are reset by a hammer that is indeed driven by a spring.

The 12 hour wheel is re-set by a independent separate hammer that is directly attached to the bottom pusher. In other words, if you press the pusher in, the hammer moves proportianatly to the pressing in of the pusher. And because of this, you have to fully press in, to allow the hammer to reset on the heart cam.

Hand slippage is typically a big problem on the seconds hand, due to the size of the actual hand, and less so of a problem on the 30 minute one, and even less so on the 12 hour one.

Hope this adds to your comments.

RG

• 2 weeks later...
It seems the needle is loose as if I shake/swirl the watch with some force the needle moves. Is this commom and could it be fixed by my local watchsmith?

Hi Ryan,

Sorry about the troubles because the watch looks great. Hope you can solve it locally and save the hussle of shipping it back.

BTW, if you have 1-2 extra links after resizing the bracelet I'll be ready to buy from you. My bracelet is too tight. You can PM me.

IMG_2828.jpg

It seems the needle is loose as if I shake/swirl the watch with some force the needle moves. Is this commom and could it be fixed by my local watchsmith?

Yup...you definitely diagnosed the problem. A local competent watchmaker should be able to fix that problem very quickly at little expense. It will be better than shipping it back to China and being out of a watch for 2 months. The shipping cost/repair costs should almost be on par (repair being a little more).