When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC noob.

bvc

Hey guys. i'm a brietling boy, had a black faced super avenger glued to my wrist for months! but recently i have had my head turned by the big pilot and the portuguese chrono.

I love this.

http://www.jpc8118.com/00iwpg10002-portugu...ved-p-5491.html

Read some reviews and looking for a little help..I can live with the datewheels issue but I have to have double ar for my first purchase. Is it just the bp that comes with double ar? and is it proper double ar? ala super avenger. Love the portuguese but the outta box ar look a bit naff. If I get hooked on IWC's I will use chief to mod, but for my noob IWC is it the bp, based on these requirements?

Would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

BVC.

Bah humbug!!

Was it the Brietling part that done it?

No, it was the lack of pictures and the general vagueness that shows you've not read the IWC guide fully. :D

The Porto Chrono was available in gen both with and without AR. However, unless it's a Breitling, you'll need to get it redone if you want close-to-genuine AR.

The Porto Chrono was available in gen both with and without AR. However, unless it's a Breitling, you'll need to get it redone if you want close-to-genuine AR.

Thanks. :D

No, it was the lack of pictures and the general vagueness that shows you've not read the IWC guide fully. :D

No Thanks <_<

I'm sorry, but you asked why no-one replied. Would you prefer me to lie to you? :D

Still, at least you have your answer. I recommend you follow b16a2's progress with his new Portuguese Chrono as he's a respected member who is reviewing exactly the watch you're talking about.

I'm sorry, but you asked why no-one replied. Would you prefer me to lie to you? :D

Still, at least you have your answer. I recommend you follow b16a2's progress with his new Portuguese Chrono as he's a respected member who is reviewing exactly the watch you're talking about.

Fair doo's 12,222 posts! I'm not gonna argue with that. B)

Ouch, that's a lot. I've not even been that active in the last year! :o

;)

Hi Pugwash, I need your advise as an IWC expert. I am planning on a SSB Slevin and I want to order the day & DW from cousins, but I don't know the technical term. They ask for caliber etc. Can you advise me? Thanks a lot.

Hi Pugwash, I need your advise as an IWC expert. I am planning on a SSB Slevin and I want to order the day & DW from cousins, but I don't know the technical term. They ask for caliber etc. Can you advise me? Thanks a lot.

It's a 7750. You want white on black day and date wheels.

@ BVC, as Pug has said I'm currently going through the motions with this new Portuguese. I would advise you to wait a few until Francisco (another meber) has done a review on the movement to make sure it is a new improved one, and not a case of sly marketing by the dealers. Once this review of the movement is done Il release a review of the watch which will hopefully answer all of your questions. On the point of AR, after 2006 the Porto received AR coating. However, the crown on these reps is the one that was used on the pre-2006 Porto. Therefore if you get AR the dates won't match up because it will have the older crown design....however, you'd have to be really observant to notice this, and AR would make the dial a little clearer on the white/blue version :)

@ Yaron, the calibre of the IWC you are after is 79320. However, if you just ask for some black datewheels with white numerals for a Swiss 7750 movement they will fit, they don't need to be specifically IWC ones (they're probably the same to be honest)

@ Yaron, the calibre of the IWC you are after is 79320. However, if you just ask for some black datewheels with white numerals for a Swiss 7750 movement they will fit, they don't need to be specifically IWC ones (they're probably the same to be honest)

They definitely are the same. I used the 7750 wheels for my 3717 and have a set ready for next time I open my Slevin.

Incidentally, the datewheels used in the GST chrono are not the same, however. The replica wheels are a much closer match, which is why people tend not to swap out GST wheels.

On the point of AR, after 2006 the Porto received AR coating. However, the crown on these reps is the one that was used on the pre-2006 Porto. Therefore if you get AR the dates won't match up because it will have the older crown design....however, you'd have to be really observant to notice this, and AR would make the dial a little clearer on the white/blue version :)

I am still trying to work out why some things bother me and other often bigger faults dont. The crown issue wouldn't bother me, maybe its the briets but I love double ar. (Mmmmm, that sounds a little too gay for my liking!!) I think its just a good ar says quality straight away, before you even get close to a watch.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

I am still trying to work out why some things bother me and other often bigger faults dont. The crown issue wouldn't bother me, maybe its the briets but I love double ar. (Mmmmm, that sounds a little too gay for my liking!!) I think its just a good ar says quality straight away, before you even get close to a watch.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Don't worry, you're not alone there. Good quality AR (especially that of Chieftangs) allows the dial to show its true quality. A good AR coating can make a good looking rep look 20 times more expensive.

@ BVC, as Pug has said I'm currently going through the motions with this new Portuguese. I would advise you to wait a few until Francisco (another meber) has done a review on the movement to make sure it is a new improved one, and not a case of sly marketing by the dealers. Once this review of the movement is done Il release a review of the watch which will hopefully answer all of your questions. On the point of AR, after 2006 the Porto received AR coating. However, the crown on these reps is the one that was used on the pre-2006 Porto. Therefore if you get AR the dates won't match up because it will have the older crown design....however, you'd have to be really observant to notice this, and AR would make the dial a little clearer on the white/blue version :)

b16a2 and Pugwash, thanks a lot for your help, I will order that. Actually, I have the same day & DW swap in my 3717 but this was done by Jakub along with the AR work. I am looking forward to complete my small IWC "series" and to add the slevin to the 3717 and Ingy.