When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2846 movement transplant went really wrong.

Velasco

Hi all,

I bought a nicely modded white 1680 from a fellow member a few months ago. It had a 2836 with a slight failure so I decided to go for a slow beat movement swap. I bought a brand new sparkling 2846 on the bay... and prepare the patient to the operation.

Everything went fine until I assembled all together. When screwing the movement to the case, the movement stops. When screwing in the stem, the movement stops. And also the day change gets jammed.

I don't know what to do! The movement runs fine outside the case. So I guess I'm putting pressure on the movement when attaching it to the case or with the stem. If this is right, then the 2846 dimensions are not the same as the 2836. Because with the 2836 the movement run fine. I hit a wall!!

Please help this amateur with ideas... What I am doing wrong?? Maybe one of you found this very same problem before.

Thank you!

Please see attached pic of the 2846

2846_bil.jpg

Sounds like the keyless works got popped.

Thank you for your reply.

The movement runs fine (date change, everything) when it is outside the case.

When I put the stem when the movement is in the case, the movement stops in a matter of seconds.

I'm totally lost, and love this watch.

Do you please know if there is a modder I could talk to?

Is it just when the stem is screwed down or as soon as you put the stem in, I think they should be the same but just check that the stem that came with the 2846 is the same as the one from the 2836 that i suspect you are useing. The other thought is that the stem hights are different.

I'm guessing that this happens when the crown is screwed down.

If it is, as you should have a spare 28xx stem from the new movement, try cutting it just slightly shorter than the other stem (or sometimes you can get away with just winding the crown an extra turn down onto the existing stem).

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, the stems are exactly the same. I have just trimmed the stem and it kept stopping. So I tried another time and now the stem is too short and the movement still stops. :disgust:

Could it be that the stem hole is at a different height? (I mean, 2846 higher than 2836). This would cause an "unproper" pressure on the keyless that makes the movement to stop and the date change to get jammed.

I'll try to post pics later. Feeling quite stupid right now... :wallbash:

No need to feel stupid we have all been through problems like this, i hope that Ziggy catches site of this thread and may put us all on the right track, One thought that has just poped up is , Is there a spacer on top of the old movement between the dial and movement, may still be on the old one? if there was then it would explain the problem as being the stem alignment?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, the stems are exactly the same. I have just trimmed the stem and it kept stopping. So I tried another time and now the stem is too short and the movement still stops. :disgust:

Could it be that the stem hole is at a different height? (I mean, 2846 higher than 2836). This would cause an "unproper" pressure on the keyless that makes the movement to stop and the date change to get jammed.

I'll try to post pics later. Feeling quite stupid right now... :wallbash:

Stem height is identical - 2.25 mm with a 5.05mm movement height.

The date change issue is a new clue though. If the date wheel has dropped slightly out of alignment or has bent a tooth, it could apparently turn ok when out of the case but jam once the dial and movement are tightened down into the case. whip the dial back off and have a good check over the date wheel and the related parts of the keyless.