When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Twisting a dial

PhilipM

I have a SSD which has a very slight twist on the dial, very small, 1/10 second (so imagine the pearl triangle when centred is at 1/10 sec past 12)

It is almost un noticeable, but i have seen it now, and you can see the 9 marker bar against the bezel 9 marker as being fractionally twisted.

Now to fix this - i assume it's case back off, loosen the movement holder tabs and it should either fall into line or need a touch to square it, or would this be more to the dial mounting tabs (so stem out, and reset the dial holders, or is it just plain printing and that's the way it'll always be?

The stem will pretty much 'fix' the movement position so its probably a problem with dial print alignment in relation to the dial feet.

If it's a new purchase I'd send a photo to the supplier and ask for a replacement dial.

A good repairer could fit replacement dial feet but it's fiddly and time consuming to do it right. A diy 'bodge it' fix would be to snap off the dial feet and re-attach the dial in the correct position with some adhesive dial dots.

I'll have to open it up.

It wasn't a new purchase, just new to me.

The slant is quite small, it took me quite a while of looking at it to be sure, but once you see it, it's a curse!

i'll have a look and see what it's like compared to the stem, that'll give me a good idea of where it needs moving from.

Thanks one and all

Remember you can't "twist" the dial without changing the date in the date window. If the date is properly lined up you need to move the movement and dial, which, as someone said earlier depends on how well the stem is lined up in the crown tube. Not very much adjustment available.