When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot

poopypants

With the release of the big pilot in both FUNCTIONAL and FAUX power reserve and at the same price... which is better/worse?

I know I'm not going to get a 7 day reserve, but is the functional model actually better or even worth $0 price tag?

- history in reps tells me, the less moving parts the better!

Then they release two models 5002 and 5004... Which to choose?

one missing the '9' to represent the newer dial and the other which i guess is an older model... Which one is more correct between the two?

This topic may have already been beaten upon in the IWC section... but i have never wanted any other model other than a Portuguese...

So, if anyone has any comments that can help me decide which one i want...? or even refer me to a thread that goes over all of my questions??

Thanks

PP

my current vote goes to the current 5002 version with non working PR.. for dial accuracy.. the 5004 that was just released has incorrect hands.. the maker failed to research the 5004 hands and thought all BP hands were the same.

what good is a working PR when the rest of the dial is inaccurate..

i agree with lani -- the 5002 is extremely accurate, so that's an easy choice.

the question of faux power reserve re: moving power reserve is also an easy one -- go with the faux power reserve, adjust the hand to show fully wound, get the crystal double AR coated, and you've got yourself an incredible rep....

deltatahoe

i agree with lani -- the 5002 is extremely accurate, so that's an easy choice.

the question of faux power reserve re: moving power reserve is also an easy one -- go with the faux power reserve, adjust the hand to show fully wound, get the crystal double AR coated, and you've got yourself an incredible rep....

deltatahoe

I agree with Delta who agrees with Lani...

Delta left out one thing though - put a nice strap on it too! This take the watch into superdupertrooper Rep watch status! (Two steps above super Rep status)

And I agree with all of the above. Not only is the 5002 the more accurate watch, but it is also the nicest in my opinion, it takes alot more from the original design of the pilots watch - based around the instruments in an aircraft.

Nice point to bring up b -

Also, I realized there is onemore thing...

Add lume to the whole shebang and you've got an Almighty superdupertrooper rep!

What was I thinking?

I agree with b16a2 who agrees with Jake who agrees with Delta who agrees with me only because delta got me the genuine lume shot that I sent along with my 5002 to the Great North to the Den of the Ziggmeister for a relume and should be coming home ... all in good time.. :)

And I also agree with DT on the strap issue to which here are some pics from a thread I posted after recieving the OEM spec strap from Aaron..

Aaron comes through in record time :D

I love the distressed OEM colour buffalo !!! it really makes the BP sing.. IMO anyway.. Please excuse the rush in pics (as is evident with the dust and DW).. but I had no time to set up lights etc. and had a small window for the natural lighting..

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0fe7.jpg

Aaron built this with OEM specs for the deployment and lugs.. so needless to say the Rep is spot on as far as measurements, since I didn't give Aaron any measurements, for the lugs and deployment clasp.. I did however work out with Aaron the legnth since the OEM legnth was a bit to long for my wrist.. so if your wrist size is 7 to 7.5" ask Aaron for the same legnth as he made for Randy..I had used the straps for the 3717 previously so this was adjusted per the case size and my wrist size.. B)

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0jz2.jpg

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0ap0.jpg

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0tu6.jpg

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0oc9.jpg

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0bm3.jpg

Lower right is the other OEM specs strap.. regular buffalo..

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0vo4.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Is that enough concensus for ya Poopy ?? :D

I agree with b16a2 who agrees with Jake who agrees with Delta who agrees with me only because delta got me the genuine lume shot that I sent along with my 5002 to the Great North to the Den of the Ziggmeister for a relume and should be coming home ... all in good time.. :)

And I also agree with DT on the strap issue to which here are some pics from a thread I posted after recieving the OEM spec strap from Aaron..

Hey Lani - I ended up with two of Aaron's factory spec straps after seeing yours and they are stunners. Absolutely gorgeous straps!

I will be curious to see how your watch comes out when it returns from The Zigmeister. Interestingly, when I emailed The Zigmeister with a request to lume my 5002 I was given a reply by his partner that The Zigmeister would no longer accept a request for work on anything other than Swiss ETA and Asian 7750's. No Asian ETA clones or Asian movmnt's. I sent a picture of the movement of my IWC 5002 and his partner responded that he would not work on this type of watch movement.

I hope you have "Special privilages" as it appears I do not.

Good luck!

Edited by jake48

Hey Lani - I ended up with two of Aaron's factory spec straps after seeing yours and they are stunners. Absolutely gorgeous straps!

I will be curious to see how your watch comes out when it returns from Ziggy. Interestingly, when I emailed Ziggy with a request to lume my 5002 I was given a reply by his partner that Ziggy would no longer accept a request for work on anything other than Swiss ETA and Asian 7750's. No Asian ETA clones or Asian movmnt's. I sent a picture of the movement of my IWC 5002 and his partner responded that he would not work on this type of watch movement.

I hope you have "Special privilages" as it appears I do not.

Good luck!

Aaron's straps are REAL !!

No, no special priveleges.. I never ask for any of my Asian Movements except the A7750 to be serviced .. I cannot see the reasoning behind servicing a movement that can be easily replaced.. So I have stayed in sync with Ziggy's policy ..:)

Eunomians Posted Today, 09:02 AM

Sh*t! The 5004 has incorrect hands? I've got one on its way

This is the last time I order a rep without lookin' at pics. My oh my, what was I thinking!

Don't feel to bad Euno.. I ordered before the member with the genuine posted the thread.. and btw the pics are of the hands that are on the rep... unfortunately the 5004 has wider hands.. we'll see as mine is sitting in the mail office.. but I am not highly motivated to pick it up .. :(

@robertk... thank you sir !! I am never dissapointed with Aarons work..

well fine... i AGREE with all of the above on all statements made about the 5002 and also agree to the upgrades needed to make a great piece...

honestly, i miss the days of being able to find reps at this price point too... it seems that LATELY you cant find a decent rep worth buying under $300-$400...

you have all solidified my decision in getting the 5002... UNLESS... Lani wants to sell his with that awesome strap! LOL!

is Aaron a member here?

OH YEAH! and who do i buy from?!?! i know most of the dealers have them, but who should it be...???

PP

No, no special priveleges.. I never ask for any of my Asian Movements except the A7750 to be serviced .. I cannot see the reasoning behind servicing a movement that can be easily replaced.. So I have stayed in sync with The Zigmeister's policy ..:)

Lani, I did not ask to have it serviced. All I asked for was to have it re lumed. Actually, the watch is keeping COSC time!

and although a transaction with Aaron takes a little patience, his straps are by far some of the best...

• 2 weeks later...
good to know... i had the gen in my hand and failed to even look... oh well, fun piece to have in the collection...

LAST THING... is there ANY WAY to quiet down the rotor?!?!

Lube the bearings.. I used the microlubricant from ofrei,works for me.. better check with the experts if this is ok though.. .... and yup, the second hand is jerky on the gen due to the low beat..so the rep is correct.. :)

• 2 weeks later...