When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling SOH vs IWC Big Pilot

DemonSlayer

breitling21.jpgVS iwc1yo4.jpg

(Mods please advise if I posted this in the wrong section)

Well guys, I'm about to dabble in two brands that I've not had any real experience with.

When I first saw the SOH, I was immediately drawn by the simple clean look and elegance of the watch. The bezel and crown looked amazing, and the AR put the icing ong the cake. Not to mention the damn good pics everyone puts up on the forums :D

I had the opportunity to try one on, but I must say, though it was a very nice watch, I didn't "connect" to it as I have with other watches I own. The problem might be, that for me personally, I need to try it on the OR strap for a more "truer" opinion of it. I've read from several members that these two make a killer combo.

Then there's the BP. When I first saw the watch for the very first time on the net, I didn't even look twice. In fact I was like that with all IWC, but recently my interest in the brand is increasing daily..

The Big Pilot, to me, looks quite similar in design to the SOH. They are roughly the same size and thickness, and both have beautifully made crowns. Now I need to see this one in the flesh to make up my mind on what is the nicer watch for me.

The fact that I have 6.5 inch wrists didn't put me off in the slightest, the SOH wears very comfortably, despite it's big size. The IWC should wear similar I think...

What about other's experience here? Which do you find the nicer watch?

They are quite different watches. As you'll see in the pics of the SOH that are on RWG, I think this watch has a bit more "flash" as the bezel insert and dial have that metallic look to them...whereas the BP is more neutral. There was a thread recently that discussed the BP 5002 being the better option vs. the 5004 as the dial is much more accurate (needing only to fix the 7 days power reserve needle to full or whatever you want) compared with the dial and hands being incorrect on the 5004 that just came out.

If you want an understated, more "I'm about the business' watch with a 30s/40s retro feel...definitely get the BP. If you want something in your collection that adds a little bit more flair and elegance and a 50s/60s retro feel...get the SOH.

As said, these are two different types of watches IMO.

I own the SOH with black dial on the OR strap. THE CLASSIC DIVER. 45/46 mm. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

The BP is a PILOT WATCH. I believe it is 47mm. Comes with the classic pilot leather strap. Also nice.

Both reps are supposedly 1.1.

Pick the look you like.

I am a water guy. You might be a pilot.