When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Daytona Swiss Valijoux Movement

Alextor

Hello guys,

I was browsing the offerings of our dealers and bumped into this from ETAworldgoods...

http://www.etaworldgoods.com/daytona4.htm

The price IS steep at around $678...the difference is the movement: a swiss Valijoux 7750 not an asian vali...I don't own a rep daytona but apparently the major concern was the reliability of the asian 7750 (at least the old version).

The question is then, would this solve the problem? was there a problem to begin with? is it worth the expense?

Thanks for your input guys!

Cheers :drunk:

Alex

First: There's no guarantee that the watch actually comes with ETA Valjoux. Pictures prove nothing. I can put up a stolen picture of a Ferrari Daytona and claim it's mine.

Second: What's that site anyway? "Etaworldofgoods"? They can't even make the pictures show up properly. Gee: Handbags, leather, watches, etc... sounds like a typical scam site selling "Swiss Rolexes" to me. Go ahead, send your money there through bank wire there if you want a gastric ulcer.

Third: If the modification requirest the 11 extra gears to get the seconds at 6 it doesn't make any difference if it's "Swiss" or "Asian". It's unnatural evinronment and according to Ziggy the movement will probably fail anyway.

All in all: It's better to stay away from sites like that. If there's a high-end rep somewhere our dealers can ALWAYS get it. This has always been the case. ;)

PS: I'm 99% sure some members have even purchased the "seconds at 6" Daytonas with genuine Valjoux. Search around, there should be something in the database. Good luck!!!

They were actually out before the asian version.

Same problems though. All those extra gears that move the subdials around put a lot of extra stress on the movement. They're better than the asian ones, but still not perfect.

EDIT:

Second: What's that site anyway? "Etaworldofgoods"? They can't even make the pictures show up properly. Gee: Handbags, leather, watches, etc... sounds like a typical scam site selling "Swiss Rolexes" to me. Go ahead, send your money there through bank wire there if you want a gastric ulcer.

He is, or they are, a dealer here on these boards. Ken i think the guy's name is. I think he's something to do with WatchHonpo.

Edited by bigpops

By Tor,

Enlightening as usual...thanks for the encyclopedic knowledge! :victory: There are a few guys I kind of 'follow' in threads (especially technical) and along with reading the Replica Watch Report...this has been a great place to start this hobby.

BTW, Etaworldgoods is listed as one of the forum's dealers. Never dealt with them and haven't seen a review either but that was the first time I saw a swiss valijoux. I have always dealt with Neil, Josh, Andy, PT and Eddie and I'm not planning on changing. But I was checking the names at the bottom of the dealers list.

In the end, mine ended up being a lame-[censored] question (as Neil would say it) since the Valijoux 7750 (asian or not) is NOT the native movement of that watch and would have problems regardless of the origin...

Thank you guys for a swift response!!!

Regards :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Alex

First: There's no guarantee that the watch actually comes with ETA Valjoux. Pictures prove nothing. I can put up a stolen picture of a Ferrari Daytona and claim it's mine.

Third: If the modification requirest the 11 extra gears to get the seconds at 6 it doesn't make any difference if it's "Swiss" or "Asian". It's unnatural evinronment and according to The Zigmeister the movement will probably fail anyway.

All in all: It's better to stay away from sites like that. If there's a high-end rep somewhere our dealers can ALWAYS get it. This has always been the case. ;)

PS: I'm 99% sure some members have even purchased the "seconds at 6" Daytonas with genuine Valjoux. Search around, there should be something in the database. Good luck!!!

etaworldgoods is apparently watchhonpo's US seller and is reliable--but that's not the problem w/ the swiss datona. Even if the movement works dispite the 11 gears, and that's a big if, your watch will be an instant tell for anyone who knows wht the subdial spacing is supposed to look like. Nothing you can do about it. Why spend $600 to fix a flaw only WIS know about only to create another that a WIS will spot in half a second?

Sadly, the only way to get a super-accurate "modern" daytona is to go through the headache of building a pre-2000 frankenwatch.

I never used to like the vintage daytonas but after a year of trying to put an El Primero franken together, they're lookingbetter and better :D

Well, the problem with the mod-7750 Daytonas with seconds at 6:00 is the dimensions of the case. It's wayyyy too thick, and for a reason- There has to be enough room to fit that mod 7750 with the extra bridges for the gears. The genuine 116520 is very thin; even thinner than the 16520 that it supercedes (by a fraction of a mm). The bezel, and rehaut should be quite a bit thinner as well- The bezel is very flat.

I owned roughly 5 or so of these 7750 Daytos with the seconds at 6:00; and now the only modern Daytona I own is my franken-built El Primero 16520, as it's the only way I could obtain a reliable, trustworthy, and correct Daytona. Sure it cost significantly more... But the result is the closest thing to genuine as you can get without buying the real deal...

92332-28040.jpg

92332-28041.jpg

92332-28042.jpg

@Alextor: You're welcome, no probs. And I didn't know the owners of that site are listed here as dealers. Never heard of them before.

Here's Ziggys excellent movement breakdown of the 7750 "modification seconds at 6". It's certainly worth reading and it explains a lot:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1414

Thank you BT, ubi, Arch, big! for great posts and pictures!

Ubi, my hat goes off to you...that project is aesthetically and functionally superb!

Cheers

Alex

@Alextor: You're welcome, no probs. And I didn't know the owners of that site are listed here as dealers. Never heard of them before.

Here's The Zigmeisters excellent movement breakdown of the 7750 "modification seconds at 6". It's certainly worth reading and it explains a lot:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1414

Well, the problem with the mod-7750 Daytonas with seconds at 6:00 is the dimensions of the case. It's wayyyy too thick, and for a reason- There has to be enough room to fit that mod 7750 with the extra bridges for the gears. The genuine 116520 is very thin; even thinner than the 16520 that it supercedes (by a fraction of a mm). The bezel, and rehaut should be quite a bit thinner as well- The bezel is very flat.

I owned roughly 5 or so of these 7750 Daytos with the seconds at 6:00; and now the only modern Daytona I own is my franken-built El Primero 16520, as it's the only way I could obtain a reliable, trustworthy, and correct Daytona. Sure it cost significantly more... But the result is the closest thing to genuine as you can get without buying the real deal...

93247-27773.jpg

93247-27774.jpg

93247-27775.jpg

That's awesome Uniquitous! I bet that seconds hand glides at 36,000. I'd like that better than the toned down Rollie version (28800).

Nice!

I just had a Daytona in for a fix and relume the other day and I noticed something that could be a big problem for both the asian and swiss versions.

Because the Rollie does not have a date the subdial transfer gears are very neatly built into a complete new top plate which is fixed on to what would have been the top plate with 3 screws. The problem with this arrangement is that when the chrono reset button is pushed it flexes the plate very slightly and allows part of the reset mechanism to jump out and then jam the reset so that the chrono can still stop and start but no be reset. This could be easily fixed with a new screw hole.

....but even then the "Swiss movement" is really a combination of Swiss and Asian parts pieced together.

The primary movement is Swiss but the additional gearing is all Asian add on parts; tenuous at best.

If it was 100% ETA I would have better faith in this movement.