When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I sell?

Seadweller4000

Hey all, I am playing with the thought of selling major parts of my collection in order to fund a genuine.

Candidats for example are

Seawolf "oldskool" titanium, gen dial, aftermarket AR, waterproofed

SOH

SOSF relumed, gen diverstrap

Pam 111G fully customized

Carlos Coste

Omega Seamaster Chrono 1. batch, aftermarket AR

Omega PO 4th gen with gen diver, aftermarket AR

The thing is I love 'em all and I don't think I will be able to buy most of them back as they are discontinued and/or pretty modified.

But after I got my Ingy Chrono they just don't do it for me anymore. Strange. <_<

What do you guys think? Any input appreciated! Thank you.

HI B,

well here is a first hand experience, as u know i sold a bunch of watches to fund my gen exp II purchase in April 2008 same happened in September 2008 when i purchased my gen sea dweller.

Do i miss my high end modified watches... sure i do sometimes specially those pieces that were in the pipeline/production for several months going through parts collection various shipping of parts to final assembly.

Still personally for me that is i think i made the right move... the way i see it there will always be time to start from scratch buy another rep and go through the parts/assembly/mods procedure all over again as its fun to see that watch change over time... with gens once u have a great opportunity to pickup one of the watches you really love i say go for it in the long run again for me it makes sense.

Ball is in ure corner... LAZ has spoken ;)

Cheers L.

HI B,

well here is a first hand experience, as u know i sold a bunch of watches to fund my gen exp II purchase in April 2008 same happened in September 2008 when i purchased my gen sea dweller.

Do i miss my high end modified watches... sure i do sometimes specially those pieces that were in the pipeline/production for several months going through parts collection various shipping of parts to final assembly.

Still personally for me that is i think i made the right move... the way i see it there will always be time to start from scratch buy another rep and go through the parts/assembly/mods procedure all over again as its fun to see that watch change over time... with gens once u have a great opportunity to pickup one of the watches you really love i say go for it in the long run again for me it makes sense.

Ball is in ure corner... LAZ has spoken ;)

Cheers L.

Thanks mate, this really helped me a lot.

I should've remembered about our chats earlier... :doh:

Cheers mate!

Tricky decision...

I've been in the situation where a watch "just doesn't do it for me anymore", so from that perspective, I would say 'sell'.

But.

I would temper that with the circumstances. If it's just to buy a gen watch, then you need to be absolutely sure that you will actually like the new gen enough after the 'new watch feeling' subsides, that it would still be more popular to you than the others. As you say, some aren't available, or have been modded, so not easy to replace should you actually decide you want those watches again, so from that perspective, I would say 'keep them'.

I'm only selling off my collection due to financial need, rather than simply to fund another purchase... If it was just a case of a new purchase, then I'd just save for the new purchase and keep the collection intact, so I'd say to seriously consider the value of the collection, over the potential value and wrist time of the new purchase. If you definitely wouldn't wear the collection any more, and only wear the new watch, then sell the collection and buy the new watch, but if you aren't 100% definite, I'd say hang on to the collection :) Of course, if you really can't decide, you could always flip a coin ;)

SD it's certainly a difficult situation, and Laz's comments sum up my thoughts on the matter too.

I think of all of the watches you own though, the Seawolf might be the hardest to part with, as it is such a wonderfully modified watch, and so so rare. However, if you would get more happiness from selling this along with the others to fund another purchase then so be it!

P.S. I like the sound of that Pam ;)