When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me choose between drsd(mbk/mbw) or SD (BK)

mikolee

guys been studying the forums and looking at several posts. i have narowed down my choice to a seadweller. first of all i want the watch to be as close to gen as possible, im not expecting exact just decent. also i want it to be reliable so im thinking higher quality than usual off the rack reps.

will also be using this as a daily beater ON A NATO STRAP and possibly some wet action in the beach but nothing too extreme. so i have narrowed down to two particular models and dealers.

first is the double red sea dweller from paso and second is the preorder SD from bK. both seem to be what i am looking for but prefer the double red sd from paso on a purely cosmetic level but a lot of mods will have to be done to get it fairly accurate. also the mods on the DRSD look intimidating for a newb like me, thats why i obviously prefer the one from bk based on the internals and level of craftsmanship and modification. so its a toss up for one of the other.

if Bk has a double red with the same level of inputs as the one he has on pre-order il be all over it by now. thanks in advance

I'm down for the BK/WM9 preorder - that is going to be a fantastic piece for sure - I'm thinking that is going to be the ultimate in the forseeable future.

I have a DRSD from Paso/MBW and it is superb too - wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger there and Paso is a great guy to deal with.

However, if you're looking for a daily beater, it is hard to go past Trusty Ultimate SD 16600. I have a gen 16600 (in the safe now - it's a collector's item!) but wear my TT watch as a daily beater and it is a great watch. It looks perfect. Sure, if you put it side by side with a gen and break out the loupe, you'll notice some differences, but on your wrist, it is ideal. Trusty says it is waterproof to 100m and I've certainly worn it swimming without any problems. Been on my wrist for about 9 months and so far we're on average + 5 secs a day which IMOis respectable straight out of the box with no servicing/modding.

My 2c - put your name down for the WM9 and get a Trusty ultimate to wear for the next 9 months while you wait for the WM9 to arrive :p

A good question. Vintage or new realy

A new gen SD you could were as you want ed but would a gen vintage SD be as good, yes it has the looks but is it as water proof, resistant to scratches ect as the new one.

Personaly i would go for the 1665, mod the CGs ect but just go for light mods that you can do, but spend the time on getting it waterproof

I would go for a modern SD from BK,

because the vintage SD needs a lot of work and mods.

After gen Parts are harder and harder to get it can run

in a expensive project.

thanks tribal. i will most likely go with the modern sd/bk. i just saw the beautiful DRSD of jjfesq and he spent a small fortune on his watch. ouch. modern it is

Since the BKSD is still pre-order and several months away why not get the DRSD for now and see if that helps solidify your decision either way.

A shameless plug but may be helpful, I have my un-modded MBW DRSD 1665 on Repgeek for sale now $275 shipped CONUS. (its the the VIP trader section)

I've owned a SSD V2 and the MBW DRSD, personally I prefer the DRSD. The SD was a tad small to me in size and just didn't do it for me. BUT, anything looks good on a NATO...

Since the BKSD is still pre-order and several months away why not get the DRSD for now and see if that helps solidify your decision either way.

A shameless plug but may be helpful, I have my un-modded MBW DRSD 1665 on Repgeek for sale now $275 shipped CONUS. (its the the VIP trader section)

I've owned a SSD V2 and the MBW DRSD, personally I prefer the DRSD. The SD was a tad small to me in size and just didn't do it for me. BUT, anything looks good on a NATO...

thats a good deal. arent the SDs and DRSD the same size diameter? like i said i love the drsd but the mods intimidate me and would want something kick azz off the bat:) id love to get a watch to pass the time while waiting for the bk but unfortunately i just shelled out for a aproo sec at 12 and a gen br01-94 so im short of luck

thats a good deal. arent the SDs and DRSD the same size diameter? like i said i love the drsd but the mods intimidate me and would want something kick azz off the bat:) id love to get a watch to pass the time while waiting for the bk but unfortunately i just shelled out for a aproo sec at 12 and a gen br01-94 so im short of luck

Nice choice on the ROO and B&R, I've been thinking about picking up a rep of both myself. The SSD just seems a tad smaller in diameter. The crystal is different, I can't find the right words but let's just say I bought it and sold it 2 days later as it just didn't do anything for me. From pictures though i thought it would be perfect but in practice, no. The Sub/SD bracelets also, while true to the gen, feel cheap to me. My favorite rep I own is my Rolex GMT IIc, but it's the newer style bracelet and clasp(heavier) and also slightly larger in diameter than the SD.

The DRSD is very nice and IMO much better than the SD. Inserts can be bleached easily, vintage pearls are cheap, etc... If you're a tad hesitant there are many modders around who know what they're doing as well. Plus it's something a bit different than your everyday, dime a dozen, Sub or SD. Just my 2 cents...

Nice choice on the ROO and B&R, I've been thinking about picking up a rep of both myself. The SSD just seems a tad smaller in diameter. The crystal is different, I can't find the right words but let's just say I bought it and sold it 2 days later as it just didn't do anything for me. From pictures though i thought it would be perfect but in practice, no. The Sub/SD bracelets also, while true to the gen, feel cheap to me. My favorite rep I own is my Rolex GMT IIc, but it's the newer style bracelet and clasp(heavier) and also slightly larger in diameter than the SD.

The DRSD is very nice and IMO much better than the SD. Inserts can be bleached easily, vintage pearls are cheap, etc... If you're a tad hesitant there are many modders around who know what they're doing as well. Plus it's something a bit different than your everyday, dime a dozen, Sub or SD. Just my 2 cents...

.... please let me know where you get gen vintage pearls cheap,I buy tons of it :)