When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

re did my vintage Radiomir...

pete2528ca

So, I decided to redo this watch that I had kicking around. It originally had a sterile dial, but wanted to put a Radiomir dial in. Thanks to Pam1a for the dial, BUT, the dial was too thick. Basically i had to take a dial that was almost 1mm thick and grind it down to under 1/2 of a millimeter.

In the process of sanding the dial, I was able to age it as well. It took me 6 hours to "thin" it down.

Now, the crystal. I wanted a tall perspex just like the originals would have had. I cut a piece into a 39mm rough circle and then hand filed and ground the crystal into an almost perfect circle. It sticks up about 5mm.

Anyway, for a daily beater it turned out ok. Gets lots of attention too.

Dial on the sand paper. Wet dry 400 grit.

DSC04162.jpg

"Sanding block"

DSC04163.jpg

Ugh, still too thick, time to bring out the big guns.

DSC04164.jpg

Finished dial.

DSC04166.jpg

Monster crystal.

DSC04169.jpg

And another couple of views.

DSC04170.jpg

DSC04171.jpg

Guest HaloArchive

For some reason I see this "Monster Crystal" thing becoming a fad B)

Keep it up! :thumbs:

Edit:

what would look cool on the dial is if you got a vintage polished look by doing a rough 400g then moving to 800g or 1000g and finally polish it off with 2000g. :g:

H

Edited by HaloArchive

yup, it is for real.

i am going to try the crystal again though. i like how it looks, a lot actually, but it may be a hair too tall. i have a vintage dsn, and it is about a mm shorter.

i need to have it ground a bit better, this one is round, but has a couple of flat spots, not really visible ,but there nevertheless.

i need to talk to an opthamologist to see if they can grind me a 39mm piece of plexiglass.