When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Devil's Workshop II

freddy333

No CG shaping as the Silix case is CG-less, but I will have to smooth the case area around the crown to remove the slight dimples the Silix cases have.

I had to do just a wee bit of grinding around the inner face of the case where the dial slides down against it, but the stem aligns perfectly. But, to be honest, 95% of the modding work I had to do on the Silix case (for the 6542 project) related to reducing the height of the vertical ring portion of the case that held the crystal in position. You can Search out my original tutorial/journal for the details, but, basically, the ring's height had to be reduced to allow the flat-bottomed Plexiglas 6542 insert to sit low enough in the bottom of the Silix's bezel to keep it in position, so I do not remember exactly what the minor mods were.

Thanks. I'm still blown away by that bezel insert. I had not seem the bakelite type of aftermarket inserts before you posted that 6542 pic. It looks amazing...pricey...but it really makes the watch. Regarding the CGs...I was a little slow there...forgetting it didn't have one. I just saw the pic and couldn't tell what was on there...forgetting about the year of the watch not having CGs.

Here's one I took years ago when I was thinking about modding a Silix Triple Red into a Milgauss

milgauss_idea.jpg

Excellent pics, Nanuq. But it looks like you have a bit of bezel overhand there yourself (on the left). :g:

Compare to

rol234-1.jpg

I am guessing it is the same model. Did you by any chance ever measure the case (without the bezel)? I am just wondering if the case, itself, is the same as the ROLS176 I used for the 6542? The stock bezel on ROLS176 does not have that overhang.

Excellent pics, Nanuq. But it looks like you have a bit of bezel overhand there yourself (on the left). :g:

Oh yeah, definitely. That was a standard Sub style bezel and it was nowhere near accurate. I wound up giving that one away.

• 7 years later...