When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rose Gold

monkeypie

Been considering a rose gold watch for a while now, but reading about how gold plated reps have a penchant for fading, I've become a bit cautious.

How are rose gold constituted? Are they basically SS watches with a micron or two layers of gold?

And as the topic suggests, how do they hold up to fading compared to a gold watch?

I would assume since a lower k gold watch has a lower ratio of gold, it would fade more slowly. I'm kinda curious as to what exactly a rose gold watch is composed of in terms of "rose gold".

I have a few chinese cheapos with Rg finish and to be honest I rotate what I wear regularly so no problem. LIke most things, eve the basic plating has improved over time due to better technology and to some extent better materials. I have had no issues to date. Just use non abrasives to clean it and silver cloth works well and isnt overly harsh

I have a PAM231 RG. A simple, clean and classically beautiful design. I have probably worn this watch 75 times. Although the case looks good as new, the crown does not. The fact that this is a manual winder seems to be a guarantee that the crown will wear on its knurled egde and show the base metal siver ss. It did and it does. Oh well. I still wear and love this watch, despite my disappointment.

It depends on the watch, seller, and plating level... I've never had issues with reps and gold unless it's on the bracelet (which is constantly rubbing skin, etc)... Homer's RG Tourbillon is a great buy and the plating seems to be holding up really, really well on it.

The good quality rose gold reps hold up very well.

The cheaper stuff actually holds up well too but is mostly copper and can be found out by the oxidation, which discolors and discourages.

Carl

Rose gold is regular gold with copper added to give it that rosey hue. That will make it a bit more wear resistant than regular gold. It's not just a different color as Fakemaster says. Depending on which rep you buy, the quality may vary. Hope that helps. Any ?'s just ask.

Edited by go_cubs_go