When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another quick question

TeeJay

I've done a search, but can't find any reference. I know the cases are 36mm, I was wondering what size the dials themselves might actually be? I'm guessing around the 25mm region rather than 30mm? Thanks in advance guys :) Yes, you've guessed it, I've got another crazy idea for a potential build, but I don't think it would work :lol:

I doubt it will work- a 27mm dial needs a 26mm showing (rehaut) inside measurement- your tolerances are just too tight- 27mm dial in a 27mm (inside measurement) case will slide one way or the other and not work.

How about if it's mounted with sticky dots? To be honest, I quite like how that particular Air-King looks anyway, so if it doesn't fit, the worst case scenario is I put the dial back in the original case :) Thanks for the feedback though, it's much appreciated :)

I don't see how sticky dots will help. You take your AK dial and yes you will have to attach it to the movement (which is 25.6mm in all likelihood- 2836-2, 2824-2, DG2813, etc.) with sticky dots or glue. But when you put the assembly in the case, if the dial is the same size as the inside rehaut, or just slightly larger, it's going to be very hard to position the dial exactly in the center and hold it and the movement in place without it getting kattywombus. If your Silix case has a 27mm rehaut opening and a 28mm dial- that leaves .5mm on either side of the opening. And the case is made for the dial, or vice versa. What you really need to do is remove the dial and movt from the Silix case and measure the inside rehaut with a set of calipers. Also, movement rings enter in to the equation, but the gist of the deal is, the dial has to be bigger than the inside diameter of the rehaut ring, and I would think by at least .5mm.

I don't see how sticky dots will help. You take your AK dial and yes you will have to attach it to the movement (which is 25.6mm in all likelihood- 2836-2, 2824-2, DG2813, etc.) with sticky dots or glue. But when you put the assembly in the case, if the dial is the same size as the inside rehaut, or just slightly larger, it's going to be very hard to position the dial exactly in the center and hold it and the movement in place without it getting kattywombus. If your Silix case has a 27mm rehaut opening and a 28mm dial- that leaves .5mm on either side of the opening. And the case is made for the dial, or vice versa. What you really need to do is remove the dial and movt from the Silix case and measure the inside rehaut with a set of calipers. Also, movement rings enter in to the equation, but the gist of the deal is, the dial has to be bigger than the inside diameter of the rehaut ring, and I would think by at least .5mm.

Ahh, I see what you mean... The combined dial/movement assembly could still have a little 'wobble' in it... Would the movement holder not prevent that happening, or does it really rely on the dial for that ultimate stability?

A perfectly tight movement holder would keep the movement and dial in place, but how would you get it in and out of the case- you have to have a little play for removing everything.

Hold down tabs help, but when the dial fits the case, everything works just that much better.

Have you uncased your Silix sub yet?

A perfectly tight movement holder would keep the movement and dial in place, but how would you get it in and out of the case- you have to have a little play for removing everything.

Hold down tabs help, but when the dial fits the case, everything works just that much better.

Have you uncased your Silix sub yet?

The dial which is fitted at the moment, is 28mm, so a 27mm dial would fit in without problem, there wouldn't be any clearance issue at all from that regard, my only concern, is if the rehaut would definitely cover the edges of the 27mm dial... I have uncased the watch in the past, but I don't have digital calipers, so I had to use an old fashioned tape measure to measure the dimensions :)

Buy a pair of digital calipers for 10 pounds, or do you guys call it 'quid'?

Edit: I just pulled apart a Silix no cg sub- inside rehaut measures 27.24mm- maybe yours will be different, Teejay. The Air King dial is too small to fit my Silix case.

Indeed, 'quid' is the slang term, and more used between friends/family... I've never heard a cashier in a shop use the word when giving a price :)

Thanks for the measurements, I guess that means the end of that project :lol:

Yeh, it's been my experience that Rolex dials are typically 1mm smaller than the rep dials- frustrating to say the least. I thought I was dead in the water trying to build a 16800 franken until I saw Stephane fit an old Sub dial in a noobmariner case. And then, lo and behold, Omega was drillling the lugholes out on the noob case. Suddenly I had a case to build a 16800 with. The gen Sub dial is 27.4mm and the inside rehaut on the noob is around 27mm- just enough to make it work.

Here's the franken on the right, next to a gen 16800- both matte dials.

post-175-1232474323_thumb.jpg

Yeh, it's been my experience that Rolex dials are typically 1mm smaller than the rep dials- frustrating to say the least. I thought I was dead in the water trying to build a 16800 franken until I saw Stephane fit an old Sub dial in a noobmariner case. And then, lo and behold, Omega was drillling the lugholes out on the noob case. Suddenly I had a case to build a 16800 with. The gen Sub dial is 27.4mm and the inside rehaut on the noob is around 27mm- just enough to make it work.

Here's the franken on the right, next to a gen 16800- both matte dials.

post-175-1232474323_thumb.jpg

That's an awesome project build :) The Air-King dial I was thinking of using was also a rep dial... I might still buy the watch and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll have a nice Air-King. If it does work, I'll have my project built :)

You won't know what the rep Air King dial diameter is until you buy the watch. You could also look at a rep Datejust dial- I've seen them in the 28mm range- probably just right for the Silix case. BTW, the Silix case had a plastic spacer ring, but what would you expect from a $75 watch?

You won't know what the rep Air King dial diameter is until you buy the watch. You could also look at a rep Datejust dial- I've seen them in the 28mm range- probably just right for the Silix case. BTW, the Silix case had a plastic spacer ring, but what would you expect from a $75 watch?

That's true, I think this will have to be something I do on faith. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

Yup, plastic spacer ring on mine too ;) I don't expect much, to be honest, I'm very tolerant when it comes to reps :lol: I would look at the datejust, as there is a datejust with the same markings and indices as the Air-King I had in mind, but I didn't want the watch to have the date window, so the Air-King was the only viable option ;)

You might check ebay- there's a model 1002- it's an Oyster Perpetual, no date. Chronometer grade movement- 1570. Maybe you could find a dial from one of those- the cases are the same size as Datejusts. Black would be rare though, heck, the watches are somewhat rare themselves- in the late 60's and early 70's everyone wanted the date feature.

You might check ebay- there's a model 1002- it's an Oyster Perpetual, no date. Chronometer grade movement- 1570. Maybe you could find a dial from one of those- the cases are the same size as Datejusts. Black would be rare though, heck, the watches are somewhat rare themselves- in the late 60's and early 70's everyone wanted the date feature.

It's funny, I've always been the reverse, as it always bugged me having to correct the calender at the end of the month... Crazy and lazy I know, I guess I've also always preferred the symmetry of a non-date dial :) That's what appealed to me with the Air-King :)