When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Condensation around crystal edge on my brand new Slevin!

DemonSlayer

Firstly I must say that this is truly an amazing watch, breathtaking in person.

So I got my Slevin and showered with it on this morning. th my reps and never had any issues.. except today. After getting out of the shower, I noticed quite heavy condensation/fogging in my watch around the crystal! It's most prominent between 9-10, most water collected there. I never had any issues with any of my other reps before, so I assumed it would be safe with this "super rep"!

Is the fogging around the edges an indication that the crystal hasn't been evenly pressed? Apart from greasing the gasket on the caseback, is there anything else I can do to make this watch water resistant enough to take a shower?

Thanks in advance guys!

slevin002.jpg

The fogging could be leakage from anywhere...likely the chrono pushers. Water rarely leaks at the crystal and caseback...sometimes at the crown...usually at the pushers.

If you can...decase the movement and do like Mikellem said...stick everything in the warm sun or a warm spot in a Ziploc bag with silica gel for a couple days to dry it out. It's not salt water as you were in the shower...so the movement is likely not toast but don't let the water sit there.

If you have the money and the time...The Zigmeister would recommend anytime there is leakage...to have the movement serviced...just to be safe.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Toad, are you suggesting that I remove the movement (with dial and hands attached) and then put this along with the case crystal and bracelet in a zip lock bag with silica gel?

I've never done this on a 7750 before, so am kinda nervous. However you're right, I need to do something about that water sitting inside the watch.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Toad, are you suggesting that I remove the movement (with dial and hands attached) and then put this along with the case crystal and bracelet in a zip lock bag with silica gel?

I've never done this on a 7750 before, so am kinda nervous. However you're right, I need to do something about that water sitting inside the watch.

If you can...if not...just open the caseback and unscrew and pull out the crown. There is no movement holder so the whole thing will flop out a bit when the stem is unscrewed and pulled out and give more "air" circulation in the ziploc.

The space between the movement and the case with dial attached is not much...so evaporation will be much slower than if you can remove the whole thing...but you have to be careful about stem removal and re-insertion. I think I have posts on this in the A7750 sections of my Noob Guide linked in my sig. Some have screwed up their keyless if not done properly.

Toad is right in that it is most likely the pushers. I personally would never shower with a rep until I checked all the seals and lubed them myself. Actually, I don't even shower with my gens as I can't find a reason to. Easier to just take it off for me.

You should now be a bit concerned though now that moisture has gotten into the movement man. You never know and it can be the kiss of death. I think you may want to consider having it serviced - or you could buy my 7750 I have for sale and then you kill two birds with one stone. Seriously though, funny sales pitch aside - just looking out for you. Make sure that movement didn't get wet or you are going to have a problem. Such a great watch and everyone I know who has one - rep or gen tends to keep them for the duration. Coolest chrono around IMO. The braclet and internal bezel design makes for a really functional and fantastic looking timepiece. Can't think of another chrono in its class I would rather own.

Robbie, I hear what you're saying man. I hope I ain't f*cked this watch up already, I totally agree, it is one slick chrono watch.

Update: I've managed to decase the watch. Man I hope I haven't screwed up the keyless, first time ever I pulled the stem out on a 7750. I've packed a tupperware container with silica gel, I put in the movement with the dial and hands attached, and I've laid it flat on tupperware container, dial side up ofcourse. (please let me know if this is correct) and I've also put in the case with bracelet attached in the container.

I've put it on the window sill, however there is a radiator directly underneath the window sill, is this a good place to leave it or shall I move the container somewhere else.

Ooops.....thats quite heavy beading at 9 too!

I don't even wear my Gens in the shower or bath!

It was so Humid in Hawaii a couple of months ago that when I got back in the car and turned the AC to max.. my MBK modded 1665 accumulated a lot of condensation under the crystal ..

I use "damp rid" pellets to get excess moisture from the room I store my cigars in ..with my watch.... I put some of the pellets in a small plastic holder.. and opened the crown to the setting position and put the watch in a cigar box with the damp rid pellets.. and left it over night.. the damprid "extracts" the moisture .. the pellets then turn to liquid with the moisture it extracts.. and the pellets hold the moisture .. so it does not return to the area where it was extracted from.

you can pick it up at hardware stores.. it works well..

Once condensation occurs in an enclosed area unless it's totally removed it will cause problems even if you cannot see it on the crystal.. this I am assuming for watches..... from experience with moisture in distributors in cars etc.

Thanks Toad and Lani. I've now had the watch in the tupperware with silica gel for 24 hours. The moisture in the crystal is fully gone, but of course what damage has been done to the movement (if any) is anyone's guess. Therefore I've decided to get the watch fully serviced (it would have had to be done anyway).

I'm just now learning how to insert the stem properly on the A7750 and hopefully I didn't screw up on the removal.

By the way, this thing came out of the slevin when I opened the caseback. Does anyone have a clue as to what it is and where it goes? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

That is NOT the gasket...as others have incorrectly said in your other thread. The gasket is black rubber.

Read my Cousteau Diver review in my signature...as I had my CD tested (same general architecture as the Slevin) and it actually passed at 50m...but the tester said he still wouldn't trust it as if you look at the chrono pushers and wiggle them side to side (not in and out), they actually have some play (bad fit tolerances). SO...if the watch is not bumped...it's fine. Mine can take a shower and run under the tap, etc...but...after a big play session with my kids some time back...it fogged on me...likely because a pusher got shifted when playing with my kids in the pool bumping into my arm or something.

thanks Toad. Whatever it is, I just pushed it in into the caseback and it somehow fitted.

UPDATE: I have now re-cased the watch. At one point during the stem insert, I was so sure I screwed up the keyless. It took me a lot of attempts, and at times I felt like I didn't know what was happening. Everytime I thought the stem was in, when I would pull it to time setting mode it would pull out. Then the seconds at 9 started running with the stem out. Finally I managed to get it in, but I don't think I will be trying this again for a long time :D Everything seems to be running OK, chrono's are resetting.

thanks Toad. Whatever it is, I just pushed it in into the caseback and it somehow fitted.

UPDATE: I have now re-cased the watch. At one point during the stem insert, I was so sure I screwed up the keyless. It took me a lot of attempts, and at times I felt like I didn't know what was happening. Everytime I thought the stem was in, when I would pull it to time setting mode it would pull out. Then the seconds at 9 started running with the stem out. Finally I managed to get it in, but I don't think I will be trying this again for a long time :D Everything seems to be running OK, chrono's are resetting.

It's actually not too bad. The Zigmeister recommends removing the stem in the WINDING position (others say the time setting position is easier)...but The Zigmeister's recommendation is because it reduces the probability of throwing things out of skew on re-insertion.

On the A7750 unlike the non-chrono movements, you don't push the release button on re-insertion. Just push it in a bit while turning slowly in the winding direction. You'll eventually feel it "click" and keep pushing and turning and push all the way and you should be good to go.

I think I just need more practice Toad. I couldn't get the stem removed in winding position, it kept moving to date setting and then time setting position. Unfortunately my first try-out on an A7750 messed up the keyless on my Slevin, but mistakes happen.

Inserting stem, 7750 turn stem while inserting till it stops, then press on the release pin and push the stem in place, it takes a hard push on this one to seat it. Little risk of popping the keyless works out of place.

Here The Zigmeister says to press the release button, several other members also say the same thing. Am I missing something here? Toad, do you mean that you only push the button until you hear/feel a click?