When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crazy Asian 7750

jake48

I am stumped! Can anyone help? My Breitling Blacksteel has gone crazy! If I run the chronos and stop them. Push the reset button - the second hand returns to one second past the last place it was. Like this - if it was on 12 straight up and I run the chronos and reset them, it goes to one second after. Run it again and reset it and it stops at two after, the next time it stops at three after, then four after etc and so fourth. The second hand was checked and it is not loose on the cannon pin....

Any ideas?

AAAARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

The master explains:

THe hand slippage is not normally between the hand and the shaft (chrono seconds shaft that is), but the actual tube on the hand. The tube is not rivited hard enough to the hand and it can slip...

Here is the way I fix it...not for the faint of heart...

Apply glue here

190605-4972.jpg

side view, not too thick on the glue...

190605-4973.jpg

GLUE installed, should look like this.

190605-4974.jpg

190605-4975.jpg

If the hand to the post is slipping, a small amount of glue on the tip of the post, and THEN installing the hand usually fixes it...

Putting glue on the top, as you can see in the above pics, does little, since the post and the tube are both below the hand, not on top of it.

RG

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the update - I took the watch to a local watch maker and explained to him the problem and that the repair was to glue the underside of the hand to the tube. He said "No problem"

Two days later I came back and the hand was now looser then when I took it to him (he told me it was "Something inside and there was nothing wrong with the second hand") Clearly this guy didn't have a clue as to what he was doing...

After a little more asking around I found a second watch maker in the area and took it to him. I explained what seemed to be the reason for the loose second hand and he said "I can definitely fix it"

I came back two days later and voil

Edited by jake48

Here's the update - I took the watch to a local watch maker and explained to him the problem and that the repair was to glue the underside of the hand to the tube. He said "No problem"

Two days later I came back and the hand was now looser then when I took it to him (he told me it was "Something inside and there was nothing wrong with the second hand") Clearly this guy didn't have a clue as to what he was doing...

After a little more asking around I found a second watch maker in the area and took it to him. I explained what seemed to be the reason for the loose second hand and he said "I can definitely fix it"

I came back two days later and voil

The watchmaker explained that although the tube had been glued successfully, the tube was made from such a low quality soft steel that it had stretched out and would no longer grip the post. He removed the old tube from the hand and replaced it with a new one and now it runs fine...

I second Elvis above!!! You're going to get a lot of PMs from people asking where this guy is. You should ask if it's alright to pass on his name by private messages (not posted on the forum) to people looking at having rep repairs. I'm sure he'll be glad for the business.

I second Elvis above!!! You're going to get a lot of PMs from people asking where this guy is. You should ask if it's alright to pass on his name by private messages (not posted on the forum) to people looking at having rep repairs. I'm sure he'll be glad for the business.

Well thank you...thank you very much (he says in his best Memphis twang).

BTW, when I saw this picture, I just had to make it my avitar...I especially like the way that Elvis has the brightest halo and the way Jesus is looking upon him with apparent reverence!!! I love it!!