When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First PAM - 036 or 177 H?

Bork99

Looking to buy my first Pam and I'm drawn to the Ti models which I plan to wear on a chunky brown strap. In particular, I really like the tobacco colour of the dial on the 036, but I've read mixed reviews of reps of this model. Josh seems to have a new one, though, which may or may not be any good?

On the other hand, I like the 177h's sandwich dial, which of course the 036 is not. I've seen opinions that the deal Josh has on the 177 H with free shipping is great value for money, and it would leave some cash for a nice strap...

I know that in terms of accuracy neither one will fool too many experts, but I'm looking for some input from the Panerisiti on the forum - What should a noob like me consider when choosing between these two models? I'm not planning to do any mods, at least initially, at least in part because I don't know of anyone in South Africa that could assist me and shipping the watch around the world would get expensive real fast!

These are the two I'm looking at:

036 - http://www.jpc8118.com/pn03602-titanium-to...497-p-5503.html

177 H - http://www.jpc8118.com/pn17705-series-tita...497-p-4580.html

Thanks in advance...

Well,

First off, welcome to the forum! As I am sure that you will find out, this place is a real time sink.... Be prepaired to spend many, many hours surfing, asking, reading and learning :)

Oh, yeah... hide your wallet!

As for your question, both are excellent choices. Both are pretty accurate- enough that the casual observer wont notice the major flaws. Most people are not real watch savy and wouldnt know a cannon pin from a crown guard.....

Having said that, choose which ever one you like and the one that you will wear the most! I am partial to the 177, as that was my first rep. The only way to be sure you got the right one is to buy both!

Welcome and have fun!

-K

If you would consider doing mods in the future, you might want to consider the version either 036 or 177 with swan neck movement, like the genuine.

mods on these models could be:

cannon pin fix, Ti crown, flattening the pin of the crown guard, relume.

(cannon pin, ti crown, relume, good movement i have done by vaclume aka vaccum for my 177H)

By the way the blue-ish tint of the AR on the mineral version was way too blue when i got mine from Andrew/Trusty. I bought a single sapphire from him and when i got the chance I had it AR coated by Jakub. IMO the plain sapphire looks better than the blueish mineral. this blue stuff made the dial a lot less visible. only after i got the sapphire installed i started to notice details which i hadn't seen before...

But a first good start will be a good leather strap. the rep strap screams 'fake'.

according to the specs on Josh' site, for the price I would choose 036. Why? No recessed cannon pin problem & sapphire & AR coat & swan neck. And you'd better verify if you really will be getting the Ti buckle. Cuz last time I checked it wasn't supply able by my dealer...

good luck!

The 036 rep has completely the wrong style of movement when compared to the gen, and what the hell is that "cap" over the canon pinion? Urgh! :huh: The 177 wins hands down out of the two links you provided, although it has issues too.....

Still I would suggest you contact Davidsenjpn here: http://www.rwg.cc/members/Davidsenjpn-f72.html

He has always delivered great watches whenever I have ordered, even custom stuff and "sterile" (no branding) watches ^_^

Do a search for PAM036 or 177, there is lots of info here to steer you in the right direction :D

Cheers! B)

True, at first did not see it, but the cannon pinion on the 036 at Josh' is way off...!

You could also ask Josh/other dealer what the price will be with (asian or swiss, but asian is also good) swan neck and sapphire.

Warning, whenever you go modding, watch your wallet: My 177H is now near perfect. But the total cost -also including a strap from Greg Stevens (google)- has just exceeded the 1000usd. :o

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

@Adrenalin - Yes, I know, already spent way too many hours lurking, reading and learning.

@Mickey - I'd come across Davidsen, and I gather his watches typically cost a little more (well, double...) than the two I was looking at, but if they have the major problems fixed it might be worthwhile longer term rather than trying to sort out the issues afterwards. I dropped Davidsen a note to see if he can get me a 036...

On the other hand, trying to fix the problems myself could be fun! Maybe starting with the "cheap" 177H is the way to go.

@Hookey - $1000 is toch wel veel, ik zou het liever wat goedkoper gedaan krijgen! But I checked out Greg Stevens - some nice straps there. Bookmarked!

I'll wait and see what Davidsen says and figure it out from there!

Davidsen came back with a price of $430 for a "swiss" movement 036 with sapphire crystal, cannon pin fixed, and relumed dial and hands, shipped.

Looking at the pics, and comparing with photos of the gen, this certainly looks like it's more accurate than Josh's version in a lot of small ways. I guess it's probably the way to go but it is quite a bit more than the watch on Josh's site.

Any indications of what one would pay to have the cannon pin fixed and the dial and hands relumed otherwise?

Davidsen came back with a price of $430 for a "swiss" movement 036 with sapphire crystal, cannon pin fixed, and relumed dial and hands, shipped.

Looking at the pics, and comparing with photos of the gen, this certainly looks like it's more accurate than Josh's version in a lot of small ways. I guess it's probably the way to go but it is quite a bit more than the watch on Josh's site.

Any indications of what one would pay to have the cannon pin fixed and the dial and hands relumed otherwise?

I'm looking for a nice 177H also, and just contacted Davidsen. Price was $460, with swiss swan neck mvmt, superlume upgrade, 44mm ti case, sapphire crystal... but he didn't mention the cannon pin fix. (I'm assuming that's included.)

If I remember correctly, other sites I've visited seem to have the cannon pin upgrade for $80 or so. Not sure how much the re-lume is...

I think a really nice rep watch, with a quality aftermarket strap, is going to be somewhere around $700-$800. Anyone else?

Edited by Genebe

Bork,

I own the DSN 36 (not the latest dial however). You dont need to worry about a CP fix, its done. However, the one thing I would recommend is doing research on DSNs dial coloring vs. gen. It is too purple for my taste and I think his latest dial suffers from the same issue. On the other hand, I am really happy with his case. Do some searches on the board about the lengths other members have gone to for accurate 36s.

Depends on your personal definition of REALLY nice. REALLY nice can range from $650 to $1300 depending on a lot of factors.

LH parts could push it higher...can always take things further until you're content.

Enjoy the 177H

What are LH parts?

haha, 650usd - 1300usd

My PAM177H

160usd for the watch

40usd for sapphire

80usd for AR coating by Jakub plus shipping

125usd good Titanium crown + install

140usd relume dial & hands

75usd cannon pin fix

95usd better movement with swan neck and better inscriptions

65usd complete service of movement

45usd crownguard fix to make it more tight to the case and fix the pin

175usd greg stevens strap

total: 1000usd. Cheers!

What are LH parts?

I may have spoke about a half a day too soon...Little Hero is (was?) a dealer on RG who offered modded H movements and very near to gen dials for the 111H. I suppose you could pop one into your 177H? Anyhow...the dial runs $200, the H movement all reworked, white gold plated brideges etc, about $500. But it sounds like he is pulling down all of his threads on the boards as we speak. It is also possible that he is just editing...no one seems to be certain at this point.