When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVD Coating.. Nothing New

lanikai

With the thread in the Breitling section discussing the "Black Trend" I thought I would post a little bit of that subject here..

actually the PVD Trend is not really new.. it was actually used,... starting around 1966 for it's durability in the Tooling industry .. to increase the longevity and hardness in dies and stamping tools ..generally parts that took a great deal of torque and stress.. and was adapted by the military for use in their watches.. for obvious reasons.. of durability and it's "stealth capabilities" due to it's matte finish and anti reflectiing, finishes according to the finish of the metal.

There are companies that offer the different coatings for tools.. maybe they would accept watch parts also :)

These are some of the coatings offered by coating companies and the link to one of those companies below..

http://www.tincoat.net/coatings/

these are coatings used by tooling companies to make their tools more durable.. the PVD coating was started in 1966 with improvements and other stronger coatings developed for "punching, forming and cutting tools" later than 1966

Alpha

Mmmmm... I sure do loves the PVD.

IMG_6415.jpg

She's a beaut R !!!! B) that strap is a perfect match..

I'm thinking of inquiring or sending an old Breitiling bracelet to that company that does tools and see what their DLC looks like.. or if they even do it.. but I am in doubt about the bracelet as all the links would have to be done seperately..

Thanks for the poast Lanikai :tu: very informative. I'm about to have a hand made strap done by Vintagerstraps. I was looking at the buckle selection. The choices are Polished SS, Brushed or PVD. I'm like WT@#$% is PVD. There is know explanation on the site. Thanks to you I know what that is now. :) Mike. PS The pic of your watch? Absulutely beautiful.

Thanks for the post Lanikai :tu: very informative. I'm about to have a hand made strap done by Vintagerstraps. I was looking at the buckle selection. The choices are Polished SS, Brushed or PVD. I'm like WT@#$% is PVD. There is know explanation on the site. Thanks to you I know what that is now. :) Mike. PS The pic of your watch? Absolutely beautiful.

The pic is of Ubi's PVD'd Pam .. it is awesome !! the DLC is what the Breitling Black Steel is coated with.. the DLC coat is proven to strengthen the metal by 80%

there are pics on one of the sites of the actual procedures for both.. and video's of various uses.. ie. they are now using the dlc coatings in Race engines (parts)..Cars .. Jet engines .. anything that could gain an advantage by adding durability without gaining a lot of weight.

The pic is of Ubi's PVD'd Pam .. it is awesome !! the DLC is what the Breitling Black Steel is coated with.. the DLC coat is proven to strengthen the metal by 80%

there are pics on one of the sites of the actual procedures for both.. and video's of various uses.. ie. they are now using the dlc coatings in Race engines (parts)..Cars .. Jet engines .. anything that could gain an advantage by adding durability without gaining a lot of weight.

Tremendous infomation. Thanks again :) Mike