When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UN Dual Time Macro Dial Wallpaper

RobbieG

Looks great on that big widescreen. I have two standard aspect 19's on my surfing machine - and eight 24" wides on the main trading machine, but at the moment I have only tried it on the surfing machine. I have another UN pic on the other machine still. I always do these as is. Meaning I don't crop to a ratio so some of them look good strectched and others don't. Looks like this one passes the stretch test...

Yeah, for the money you won't find anything better and in some parts you won't find anything better at any price. The only area you will see what I would call standard Swiss grade finishing is in the movements. If you want the wow factor with movements you have to step up to VC, PP, AP, etc... and pay the price of admission. But cases, bracelets, dials, etc. with UN are as fine as anything at any price for sure- but then to be honest Rolex is real close when it comes to case, bracelet and dial. Of my starting five UN leads, followed closely by Rolex, then Omega, and IWC brings up the rear in terms of overall "feel-able and see-able" quality of parts, fit, and finish...

Yes, UN does a limited edition with a "blue" theme every year. Blue is kind of a trademark that represents the connection to the rich marine history of the brand in making marine chronometers. A little history for you:

By the early 1920's all but two nations were using UN chronometers on military and merchant ships as a principle means of navigation along with the sextant. The two that were not was Japan and the US. Japan was using a chromometer developed by Kintaro Hattori who went on to found Seiko. The US was using chronometers that were self developed and exactly like the UN design. There was an ongoing lawsuit for years in which UN basically alleged that the US has used political influence to essentially steal a key to the Swiss patent office.

The entire Marine line presently still has dial layouts exactly like the original ships versions with power reserve at 12 and outsized seconds at 6. The whole obsession with chronometers in the wristwatch industry has really just been an extention of that designation from back then. Accuracy was of critical importance obviously in navigation. A single second of error at the equator represents a distance error of 463 square meters.

And finally, here is a stunner for you. Between 1846 and 1975 there were only 4,504 chronometer certificates awarded in total. UN was awarded 4,324 of them. To say that they developed and ruled chronometer performance in horology is an understatement for sure.

Here is a pic of a classic UN Marine Chronometer from the 20's...

unchronometer.jpg

The macro shots show every single detail in the text printing etc, and its truely unbelievable how crisp it is compared to other brands.

Robbie did you see this?

260-32-3a.jpg