When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How is Synthetic Sapphire and Asian Manual Wind?

MimiSars

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an Audemars Piguet Classique:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...;products_id=51

AP001_1.JPG

AP001_4.JPG

I'm not sure how accurate it is to the original, would help if anyone could chime in?

My main question is how different is Synthetic Sapphire from Sapphire? Same with mineral crystal? Also, any experiences with Asian Manual Wind? Thanks.

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an Audemars Piguet Classique:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...;products_id=51

AP001_1.JPG

AP001_4.JPG

I'm not sure how accurate it is to the original, would help if anyone could chime in?

My main question is how different is Synthetic Sapphire from Sapphire? Same with mineral crystal? Also, any experiences with Asian Manual Wind? Thanks.

Synthetic Sapphire, is, chemically speaking, real sapphire, it is simply formulated and 'grown' in a lab. Genuine watches use synthetic sapphire. It does not mean that it is a 'replica sapphire', it just means that it is not a naturally formed and mined crystal. I am not too sure about mineral crystals, so I will pass that question to others more knowledgable than myself...

Asian Manual Wind = :good: in my book :) Reliable time-keeping, and easy to regulate at home, if one is thus inclined, and has some basic tools :)

Thx TeeJay. I was just worried if the crystal would hold up to the same conditions as the advertised "sapphire".

As far as the movement, is there any web sites or posts on it?

No problem. As long as the crystal actually is sapphire, then yes, it will hold up :) As I mentioned, the sapphire involved in all these applications is synthetically produced, so from that perspective, it doesn't make a difference that it is called 'synthetic sapphire'. A more accurate term, would be 'man-made sapphire', as ultimately, that's what it is... It is real sapphire, it was just made in a lab rather than mined out of the ground ;)

I'm not too sure about that particular movement. The models I've had experience with, have been in Panerai replicas, and I've found them very reliable. If you were to post your question in the section for that watch manufacturer, you're more likely to get a reply for someone with specific experience of it :)

Hi Teejay,

What I'm still confused about (forgive me I'm slow...) is the sapphire vs synthetic sapphire. On TTKs site, he sells watches that are both Sapphire and Synthetic Sapphire. Obviously, the two are different or else he would have just sold them all labeled as Sapphire. But perhaps you did answer my question but I didn't understand it. Are what you saying is that Synthetic Sapphire is just as good as his watches labeled just plainly as "Sapphire"?

I'll address my question on the movement in the "Movement Q&A" section. Dummy me :p

Thanks again!

Hi Teejay,

What I'm still confused about (forgive me I'm slow...) is the sapphire vs synthetic sapphire. On TTKs site, he sells watches that are both Sapphire and Synthetic Sapphire. Obviously, the two are different or else he would have just sold them all labeled as Sapphire. But perhaps you did answer my question but I didn't understand it. Are what you saying is that Synthetic Sapphire is just as good as his watches labeled just plainly as "Sapphire"?

I'll address my question on the movement in the "Movement Q&A" section. Dummy me :p

Thanks again!

How TTK chooses to identify items in his sales, is his prerogative, and I wouldn't want to comment on that. As far as I am aware, any kind of sapphire crystal, has been artificially created, but is chemically sapphire. These crystals are used in both replica and genuine watches. With regards TTK as a dealer, I would suggest considering a different dealer, as TTK can be extremely unpleasant, but that is obviously your choice :)

I wasn't meaning the Movement section (although that wouldn't hurt) but I was meaning the AP watch section, because as they are popular watches, someone might have experience of the one you are interested in, and be able to give you a better answer than I can :)

Hi TTK and FxrAndy,

Thanks FxrAndy, I was unaware of that. I have an Asian 21J and it works pleasantly fine.

As far as using TTK, I don't think there are any other dealers with this watch as I can't find any. I've used him before I had a good transaction however I'm aware that other people have not. I guess I should email all the dealers and see if they have it before purchasing from TTK. Thanks for the help TeeJay!

Guys....

When the replica sellers write: sapphire, the mean the synthetically made hard to scratch sapphire. The best to get in replica watches.

BUT....

when they write synthetic sapphire. IT IS MINERAL CRYSTAL.

good luck.

But its just as durable as sapphire, just man made?

Hi my friend,

you get what you pay for.... just 108usd will only get you mineral crystal. Not sapphire.

when they write 'synthetic sapphire', you will get mineral. that is their way of working. And yes it is confusing. but you get what you pay for. and 108usd is cheap....

And your other question:

all sapphire used in watches is man made and thus is synthetic. Otherwise with 'nature sapphire' the crystal will never really really clean to see through i guess. And will also be way too expensive. remember how much they need to cut off with a domed crystal for example....

cheers!

Edited by hooky

Hi TTK and FxrAndy,

Thanks FxrAndy, I was unaware of that. I have an Asian 21J and it works pleasantly fine.

As far as using TTK, I don't think there are any other dealers with this watch as I can't find any. I've used him before I had a good transaction however I'm aware that other people have not. I guess I should email all the dealers and see if they have it before purchasing from TTK. Thanks for the help TeeJay!

No problem at all, if you've used TTK before and are happy to use him, then by all means, go for it :) I was merely making the suggestion thinking you may not have dealt with him before :) As mentioned, I've always found Asian movements to be perfectly acceptable :)

Guys....

When the replica sellers write: sapphire, the mean the synthetically made hard to scratch sapphire. The best to get in replica watches.

BUT....

when they write synthetic sapphire. IT IS MINERAL CRYSTAL.

good luck.

Ahh, I wondered if that might have been the case, but I didn't want to say that specifically, as I know that the sapphire crystals used in watches is, in itself, defined as 'synthetic sapphire' :)

Hi my friend,

you get what you pay for.... just 108usd will only get you mineral crystal. Not sapphire.

when they write 'synthetic sapphire', you will get mineral. that is their way of working. And yes it is confusing. but you get what you pay for. and 108usd is cheap....

And your other question:

all sapphire used in watches is man made and thus is synthetic. Otherwise with 'nature sapphire' the crystal will never really really clean to see through i guess. And will also be way to expensive. remember how much they need to cut off with a domed crystal for example....

cheers!

That clarifies it even better :) As far as I understand, synthetic crystals are used to ensure a uniform finish of product. I think I have read elsewhere that synthetic jewels are used in the movements as well :)

EDIT: NVM, I'll just stick with this one. It's cheap but I do like the dial a lot better. Thanks again guys. Has anyone got pics to the gen? All I have found so far on the bay is the 3151.

Thx Hooky and TeeJay,

So it's word play that they are basically doing then?

I'm just going to shell out 358 for the 3151 then:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=541

AP009_1.JPG

AP009_4.JPG