When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Zenith Panerais Unpopular?

thomasng

Are these majorly unpopular or what?

I went to the Panerai boutique in Hong Kong today and they had 5 Zenith EP Panerais in stock, while the other chronographs all have 6 to 12 month waiting lists for them.

Anyone know why? The Zenith movement is obivously the superior movement to the currents 7753 used by Panerai.

Its actually due to a row between LVMH who own Zenith and Richemont who own Panerai. Because of this row LVMH decided to stop supplying panerai with the EP movt hence the switch over to Valjoux.

In which case Zenith-based PAMs will be rarer, possibly worth buying as a store of value ?

Are these majorly unpopular or what?

I went to the Panerai boutique in Hong Kong today and they had 5 Zenith EP Panerais in stock, while the other chronographs all have 6 to 12 month waiting lists for them.

Anyone know why? The Zenith movement is obivously the superior movement to the currents 7753 used by Panerai.

That's interesting.

I'm impressed by Zenith's movements but their designs are not very consistent.

Which models are using EP?

they dont make zenith panerais which are larger than 40mm, because due to the nature of the zenith movement, the subdials are very close to each other. in a huge watch, this would look stupid, if theres like 1cm room between the the side of the dial and the subdial. it would look like those chinese pam reps with auto movements that have the seconds subdial very close to the center pin.

on the other hand, watches which are ment to house a zenith movement (pre 2000 daytonas for example) look rather stupid with movements that have them subdial pins farther apart (just look at the pre 2000 daytona reps with 7750 movement, it looks awful)

i hope this explains why and i also hope this explains why i hardly doubt that larger pams with zenith movement would have sold well

Edited by slay

my lip is great, you cant see one bit no more! and the most surprising thing was the hospital bill, it was only 99Euros.

the surgeon who I went to after I got them stiches was 5 times as expensive for just lookin at it and letting a damn nurse, who couldnt do jack, rip them stiches out.

The PAM 72/74 are beautiful (albeit 40mm) chronos, it was featured in the first Trasporter movis and that's where I first got interested in Panerai.... Maybe it's that beeping complication lol

What model you looking at Admin?

94179-27665.jpg

94179-27666.jpg

Which models are using EP?

Zenith EP (Panerai OP IV): 052, 072, 074, 108, 121, 122, 168.

Zenith EP with flyback function added (Panerai OP VI): 060

The PAM 72/74 are beautiful (albeit 40mm) chronos, it was featured in the first Trasporter movis and that's where I first got interested in Panerai.... Maybe it's that beeping complication lol

What model you looking at Admin?

94383-27615.jpg

94383-27616.jpg

I hope you all now know what I meant with it looks awfull having those subdials so close to each other in a large watch... imagine that movement in a 44mm pam.... YUCK!

Another reason could be the price. I recently saw a PAM 72 in a Tourneau boutique & they wanted over $9,000 for it. I was wearing my real PAM 170 at the time & the sales rep (with a straight face) offered to take my watch and an additional $3,500 in exchange for the 72. :rolleyes: I usually don't like to laugh in anyones face but in this instance I couldn't resist!

Another reason could be the price. I recently saw a PAM 72 in a Tourneau boutique & they wanted over $9,000 for it. I was wearing my real PAM 170 at the time & the sales rep (with a straight face) offered to take my watch and an additional $3,500 in exchange for the 72. :rolleyes: I usually don't like to laugh in anyones face but in this instance I couldn't resist!

The saying 'Blow me' comes to mind :lol: