When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first modding adventure

valerian

Ok, getting a little frustrated here....

Few months ago I got myself a Super Sea Dweller V2 after having read all those raving reviews (also the less excited statements by By-Tor). The watch I got is superb (Chris was too, it's not easy getting a rep to someone living in the Land of Watchdom) but the pearl and bezel inlet wasn't.

post-14208-1233517244_thumb.jpg

You can see the pearl has more the shape of a tear.

Chris was very helpful and immediately sent me another bezel insert with better pearl but after having read the pictorial by gioarmani (the pinned one, absolutely great!) I decided to get an after market inlet on the bay.

Following the hints here I bought one from jewelleryoutlet555 for $24.50. Shipping to Switzerland ain't cheap of course.

I received it together with an inlet I ordered for my Noobmariner, on which I perform all the Noob tests you guys wouldn't stand watching :p That was in November last year.

After having been too busy for some weeks I decided today to be brave and follow the gioarmani pictorial for applying the inserts. I started with the Noobmariner inlet and the result was quite satisfying. I haven't glued it in yet (need to get better i.e. elastic glue), but it looks nicely recessed already.

Getting braver I wanted to start work on the Sea Dweller inlet when I realized it has bad dent exactly where the pearl is. It looks as if a drill had been used for the pearl whole with too much force. Its not broken but bent. I tried to take a picture but my abilities are very limited. Sorry.

Pic of the dented inlet:

post-14208-1233517493_thumb.jpg

I wrote to jewelleryoutlet today asking if there is anything we could do about it. But it's been a few months and my hopes aren't so high. I can't even proof I didn't ruin it myself.

I will probably have to order another inlet. Not so happy at the moment. -_-

But will give it another try. And will post pics of the Noobmariner as soon as the inlet is glued in!

Yours kindly

Valerian

My SSDv2:

post-14208-1233517426_thumb.jpg

Rather than putting a new insert in, why now just install a better pearl in your SSD? You can buy one from www.watchmaterial.com for around $10- not sure what shipping would be. I did that on a friends SSD and it was pretty easy- just enlarge the hole slightly with an x-acto knife and glue the pearl in. Easier than taking out the insert and regluing a new one in.

Rather than putting a new insert in, why now just install a better pearl in your SSD? You can buy one from www.watchmaterial.com for around $10- not sure what shipping would be. I did that on a friends SSD and it was pretty easy- just enlarge the hole slightly with an x-acto knife and glue the pearl in. Easier than taking out the insert and regluing a new one in.

I did just this...looks good. I dented my aftermarket insert a bit just above the pearl...not noticeable really...and makes it seem more like the tool watch it was intended to be.

Thanks very much for the help and the friendly advice. I would prefer just changing the pearl but the insert of my SSD is not evenly installed. On one side of the bezel its a bit recessed, on the other it stands up a bit. You don't see it from far, but it bugs me still.

jewelleryoutlet has answered in the meantime. They think it's been too long since the deal for warranty which I can understand in a way. Still they offer me free shipping if I buy a new one. Nice gesture! :) I think I'll do that. Do you think I should still get the watchmaterial pearl? It's supposed to be the best aftermarket.

Yours kindly

Valerian

I did the easiest thing.... ripped out old bezel insert chucked it in the garbage and bought a WM bezel insert with pearl. Installed with glue, no need to shave it down or anything it is perfect out of the box and only costs $25. The pearl looks great an I have the "lip" (not to mention the bulging sapphire hehe)