When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster 2254 with Mods

triplehd

Here is my first watch that I put together from scratch (and so proud of myself :1a: )

I always had a love affair with the Omega Seamaster 2824. After parting with 2, yes 2 closed factory versions (I admit, I didn't know any better :( ) some years back, I always knew that one day, I would redeem myself. Well, I didnt find a closed version or a case with the correct HE valve. Yeah, it be really nice to acquire, but at the end of the day, so what - its a rep, right?

While surfing on the bay, I saw an auction for a used gen Omega 2254 dial, which I utlimately won. Upon receiving the dial, I noticed that the lume was coming off each dial markers and upon closer look, the lume actually looked a little brownish like it aged 25 years or something. At first I was bummed, but then that light bulb in my head said - go with it. So that's what I did.

Having an asian version of this watch, I knew I couldn't mod it with a 2813 movement or even a 4813 movement. I had o get the real thing - a swiss 2824 movement. Unable to source one for relatively cheap, came up with the best alternative - ETA Clone 2824. After getting the movement, I ordered some brand new hands from Ofrei. Once the hands arrive - it was modding time !

Overall, the watch came out great. Finished on Saturday and hasnt been off my wrist since. I only wished that the numbers on the datewheel were a bit brighter (like on the true ETA 2824 movements). I do have some spare 2824 datewheels, but Im not ready to swap them yet - Im still learning. :)

Parts:

Mineral Crystal

Rep Case

Rep Bracelet

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

ETA Clone 2824

Yeah, I know...mineral crystal. No worries - got a sapphire crystal on the way. From the pics (except for the first one), you would think that the crystal had some AR to it, but no AR on this crystal. I think it looks good without it.

Also, on the insert, I removed the pearl to try modding it to look more gen like. But after removing the pearl material, I noticed that the pearl holder (whatever you call it) was a goldenish color. Another part to add to my vintage style watch !!!!

Pics

img04522ad5.jpg

img04492tw6.jpg

img04512kf3.jpg

img04552bn9.jpg

img04582wq6.jpg

img04592tj8.jpg

img04632hg9.jpg

Edited by triplehd

Interesting...I know that super luminova will naturally turn a bit yellow over time (my 2000-ish SMP 2531.80 being a perfect example) but is this hastened by exposure to moisture in the ambient air, etc?

Whatever the case may be, that vintage look is awesome! :thumbs:

nice project. WBK is supposedly selling a decent SMP asian mov with decent CG and correct HE (albeit still totally off to me).

I just picked up a WBK SMP. Very very nice watch for the money. The HE is incorrect- no matter how its advertised - not correct. But still a very nice watch indeed.

Where are u getting the sapphire crystal?

I purchased crystals from watchmaterial and krysworks.

I just picked up a WBK SMP. Very very nice watch for the money. The HE is incorrect- no matter how its advertised - not correct. But still a very nice watch indeed.

I purchased crystals from watchmaterial and krysworks.

Its funny how WBK said he was comparing his next to a gen and that they were the same...ditto with some RG members...I guess if you want to believe it, you'll see what u want to see...I agree WBK's SMP is a very good value at the price offered.

Can u share pricing info and size for the SMP crytsals?

Krysworks seems like an especially interesting site.

-bosk

Its funny how WBK said he was comparing his next to a gen and that they were the same...ditto with some RG members...I guess if you want to believe it, you'll see what u want to see...I agree WBK's SMP is a very good value at the price offered.

Ill post some pics between the two watches soon.

• 1 month later...

Am on the lookout for a decent 2254. Where can I find info on WBK and his SMP?

Nice watch by the way Trip...am jealous!