When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for Vintage ...

Epanoui

Hey everyone!

Lately I've been steering away from my usual choices in IWC, Panerai, etc... and I think I have been bitten by the vintage bug. I have a fairly nice 16610 LV that has been seeing a lot of wrist time lately, mainly due to the comfortability and of course the classic sub look.

But the more and more I wear it the more I fall out of love with it being modernish. I think I'm ready to spend some serious $ to pick up a nice vintage piece that will be my daily wearer.

I'd really like to find something in the 5512/5513 style ... or even a vintage Sea Dweller for that matter. Accuracy is pretty important to me ... and I'd also like something that actually looks vintage ... especially a faded bezel.

As far as sourcing, I've noticed the usual dealers have some interesting if not pretty inaccurate pieces for sale. But even then they come "new" looking as if they just left a factory.

So ... all that leads me to my question.

What is the best way to source something like this? Is there anyone out there that has a line on someone wanting to drop a vintage piece for some cash? I would be willing to start a project and have people we all trust do the modding myself, but I'd prefer to find a project already completed as I have a fairly long trip coming up that I'd really like it for instead of having it all over the country getting modifications done.

Thoughts? Advice? All would be appreciated!

Cheers :)

Keep your eyes peeled in the for sale sections. There are always deals popping up there. You'll pay more than the cost of a base MBW, but a lot of times it's still cheaper than if you had the mods done yourself. These things get expensive fast, but the modded pieces typically sell for less than the sum of their improvements.

toomuchgear, That is a beautiful piece indeed ... very close to what I'm looking for.

The only thing I'm not in love with is the gold hands / dial combo. I think I'm more looking for something with a bit more of a classic look like silver hands / non-numbered dial. If only though ... the bezel is perfect!