When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Its not everyday that you get a Patek Philippe 5140 Grand Complication.

I guess its true that you never actually own a Patek, you just merely taking care of it for the next generation...I feel a little young (29) for wearing this watch anywhere but it is a true beaut and nobody nows what it is, which I why I love it...I'll be wearing it once a week until my father deems me worthy enough. Well if you ask me...Im not worthy, well what 29yo would be worthy of a platinum museum piece on his wrist...

...Well on to the pics. Enjoy!

post-11900-1234133205_thumb.jpg

post-11900-1234133633_thumb.jpg

post-11900-1234133763_thumb.jpg

post-11900-1234133832_thumb.jpg

post-11900-1234134752_thumb.jpg

You could be the new Jetmid if you play your cards right! Just don't let Jake ever hear that you have that or there is going to be trouble. :D

But seriously, all kidding aside, that will be a kingly gift when you get it. I am happy for you. That is one serious watch my friend - and 29 is not too young for anything. I remember it was around there that I had my first serious watch and serious sports car myself.

I only wish I could go back and do it again - not that I would do anything different - just for a repeat. Kind of like seeing a movie for the second time. Maybe it will get even better. Now which movie was it though...

ps that rotor is solid 18k

Yeah they all are. I'm about to buy either a Patek or Vacheron for my wedding watch and so I'm really into high end dress watches at the moment. I don't know if you are familiar with the Hallmark of Geneva seal that Patek and VC put on their in house calibers, but if you are not familiar you might research and find interesting what steps are required to get that certification. It takes roughly 40% more time to make a movement capable of earning that seal. You kind of expect that with complications but both brands are getting them with base calibers as well. Check it out...

There are three conditions for initial issuance:

1. Only mechanical movements are accepted and they must be assembled and adjusted in the territory of the Canton of Geneva

2. Movements must comply with 12 technical criteria defining design characteristics, production quality and finish work

3. Movements must be approved and certified by all of the eight sworn members of the commision, which acts under authority of the Department of Public Education.

The Twelve Criteria for obtaining the final seal:

1. The good workmanship of all the parts of the caliber, including those of the auxiliary mechanisms, must be in conformity with the requirements of the Office of Voluntary Inspection of the Watches from Geneva.

Steel parts must have polished angles, their sides must have parallel file strokes and, their visible surfaces must be smoothed and polished. Screw heads must be polished or circular grained, with their slots and rims chamfered.

2. All movements must jeweled with ruby jewels set in polished holes, including the going train and escape wheel. On the bridge side, the jewels must be olive machined with polished sinks.

3. The hairspring must be pinned in a grooved plate with a stud having a rounded collar and cap (a sliding stud cap). Mobile stud holders are permitted.

4. Split or fitted indexes (regulators) with a fastening system are allowed except in extra-thin calibers where the holding system is not required.

5. Regulating systems with balance with variable radius of rotation are allowed.

6. The wheels of the going train must be chamfered on their upper and lower sides and their sinks polished. For wheels 0.15 mm thick or less, a single chamfer is allowed on the bridge side is permitted.

7. In wheel assemblies, the pivot shanks and the faces of the pinion leaves must be polished.

8. The escape wheel has to be light, not more than 0.16 mm thick in large calibers and 0.13 mm in calibers under 18 mm, and its locking-faces must be polished.

9. The angle traversed by the pallet lever is to be limited by fixed banking walls and not pins or studs.

10. Shock protected movements are accepted.

11. The ratchet and crown wheels must be finished in accordance with registered patterns.

12. Wire springs are not allowed.

So as you can see, much of these criteria are time consuming and will only be found in the highest order of horology. Of course, a few manufactories are meeting these requirements without obtaining the seal, but I find it a fascinating designation which can certainly instill pride in the owner of any such movement which has been built in its accordance.

So you must be proud to wear such a masterpiece on your wrist. Again, congrats!