When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Being conned..

repfreak

As you all know I always wanted to get myself a Canon G9.. I asked around where to get a cheap G9. Meanwhile, I like to thanks Swissaddict for his recommendation even thought I didnt buy his G9 last time. In the end, I found 2 local sellers selling G9, one offering at S$450 without any warranty left, one offering at S$500 around (USD335, expensive as e-bay selling at a brand new usd$277) with 2 months of local warranty. I decided to got for the S$500 since if there is any problem, I still have 2 months old of warranty. In his ad, he mentioned the G9 with standard package. I didnt bargain the price anyway.

I went out of my way to go to his area to meet him. (bus and train) The first impression is a nice friendly guy who smiles a lot and willing to help me out. He mentioned he has a lot of camera so he decided to sell this one. He passed me all the receipt and warranty which stated he was given a 2GB SD card. ( Almost all camera shop in Singapore gives a free storage card anyway with the purchase of a new camera) Upon reaching home, I realised i was given only a mere 32MB card. I messaged him about the SD card which he sms me that he didnt promise me to give me the card. I said its only right that he gave me the card since its comes free with the canon G9. He said he lost a lot for the depreciation of the camera and I should be happy with it. [censored]. the two faced snake. He even went far that he was very angry to meet a unreasonable and ridiculous buyer.

I was [censored] not cos of just the card. I can go and buy it at around usd 15. but I was [censored] because the way he behaved and acted is totally different before and after the sale. At least in RG, I check if my buyers receive the stuff, okay etc... There is once when a buyer had received a spoilt watch from me and I was about to refund him but thank god, the watch works miraculously again. (Thank god, and thanks to the buyer who is honest)

I understand US is a spending economy and Singapore is a saving economy. However, there is no reason to behave like that. Furthermore, I am still a student studying and have limited funds and he is working.. Must he be so stingy and fussy and break promises like that just for a miserable usd$15 bucks? On that of that, I waS BRANDED unreasonable and ridiculous...

Anyway, there is the picture of my Carrera when I was on [censored] mode on my way back home... by canon G9 of cos

Picture.jpg

Picture001.jpg

You should just make him feel bad and tell him not to worry about the card. Just change your whole attitude and be like 'Ok man that's fine, you just seemed so nice I figured there was no way you were a scammer. But that's cool man good luck with your life... Try not to scam anyone else.' This messes with his head and makes him feel bad(it should anyway if he's human because immediately after realizing you've just accepted it but you see right through him he should feel bad for what he did) Then just let it go. If he contacts you to offer him the card just explain that it's not even that but you just thought people had more pride than that. Tell him you're not even worried about the $15 and emphasize how lame the worry of 15$ is (even if you don't feel it is this makes him feel like he ruined a reputation for nothing).. Lol if you don't like my advice just ignore it but nice watch anyway ;-)

Awkward situation... I can see it from both sides... Unless he actually promised to sell you the camera package as he bought it, personally, I don't see why he should be obliged to give you the other SD card, as that was something he was given in addition to the camera (although I agree, it certainly wouldn't've killed him to give it to you) On the other hand, if something is purchased as a 'package deal', and one part is faulty, some companies will insist on all the contents of that package being returned, not just the faulty item, so from that point of view, if it was all received as a package, yes, it would certainly be reasonable to then sell it on as a package (but ultimately the seller's discretion)... How was the purchase recorded on the receipt? Does it have two separate entries? Ie:

Camera $500

SD Card $0.00

Total $500

Or, did it just read:

Camera Pack 1 (camera + SD Card) $500

Total $500

As above, I agree, it's pretty tight not to just give you the card, but I can also understand why he might not have felt obliged to include it with the deal...

Best to just forget it and move on, karma will resolve the issue in the end :):good:

PS Awesome photos :good:

Eh, my photos are great? tee you are too kind in your words... :)

Anyway, its

Total $500

I was more [censored] about his attitude really... esp after I made so much accommodations for him before the sales...

Awkward situation... I can see it from both sides... Unless he actually promised to sell you the camera package as he bought it, personally, I don't see why he should be obliged to give you the other SD card, as that was something he was given in addition to the camera (although I agree, it certainly wouldn't've killed him to give it to you) On the other hand, if something is purchased as a 'package deal', and one part is faulty, some companies will insist on all the contents of that package being returned, not just the faulty item, so from that point of view, if it was all received as a package, yes, it would certainly be reasonable to then sell it on as a package (but ultimately the seller's discretion)... How was the purchase recorded on the receipt? Does it have two separate entries? Ie:

Camera $500

SD Card $0.00

Total $500

Or, did it just read:

Total $500

As above, I agree, it's pretty tight not to just give you the card, but I can also understand why he might not have felt obliged to include it with the deal...

Best to just forget it and move on, karma will resolve the issue in the end :):good:

PS Awesome photos :good:

Eh, my photos are great? tee you are too kind in your words... :)

Anyway, its

Total $500

I was more [censored] about his attitude really... esp after I made so much accommodations for him before the sales...

No problem, bro, they're good shots, I've certainly seen (and taken :lol: ) worse photos :D

If that's how it was rung through on the register, then as above, he really should've included everything in that pack, rather than just the camera... Of course, the guy was selling his own property, so that does give a modicum of flexibility which a shop obviously wouldn't have, so from that point of view, I guess it was his choice to either sell it all as he bought it, or split the pack. Not really a rip-off as such, but certainly pretty cheap behavior on the seller's part... Don't lose too much sleep over it, bro, karma will make sure he gets his comeuppance in due time ;)B)

If the ad doesn't say "comes with 2GB card" then you have no right in any way to expect it. Why would you expect to receive something that isn't in the ad? I have a couple of cameras, a phone, and an MP3 player, all of which use SD cards of some sort, and if I sold any of them, it wouldn't even occur to me to sell the card with it, as I'll use it in the next device I buy. I can't believe I'm the only person to reply saying this...it's just silly. Unless the ad says "comes with a 2GB SD card" you weren't conned or screwed or anything else. You got exactly what you paid for. In fact, I'd say you were lucky to get any card at all. You mentioned that he broke promises to you. What promise was that? If he promised to give you a 2GB card and didn't then that'0s a whole different story, but I didn't see that in your post.

Not to mention they cost like $9US new...why worry about it?

Its a small issue.. nvm.. I got so many people in RG who dont read the post properly, making me to look a cheapskate. The card was promised by him. I was more [censored] of his after service.

Very disappointed in RG anyway when so many people said waste of 5 min of their life reading, hinting I am a cheapskate who cant afford a SD card..

To think I was a VIP there, and helping people out of their disputes... Most of them are looking for juicy news of watch scamming, when it is not, I am the result of such comments...

I had the admin there to close my thread anyway...

Not the exact the best day of the week... Please dont call me to explain the issue anymore.. If you wish please search and read it in RG...

However, I appreicate the people here at least they read the post clearly before making a judgement.

I do not wish to talk anything more about my purchase... And thanks for the comments of my photo. If anyone can, do advise me on how to improve my shots... I think it looked grainy...

If the ad doesn't say "comes with 2GB card" then you have no right in any way to expect it. Why would you expect to receive something that isn't in the ad? I have a couple of cameras, a phone, and an MP3 player, all of which use SD cards of some sort, and if I sold any of them, it wouldn't even occur to me to sell the card with it, as I'll use it in the next device I buy. I can't believe I'm the only person to reply saying this...it's just silly. Unless the ad says "comes with a 2GB SD card" you weren't conned or screwed or anything else. You got exactly what you paid for. In fact, I'd say you were lucky to get any card at all. You mentioned that he broke promises to you. What promise was that? If he promised to give you a 2GB card and didn't then that'0s a whole different story, but I didn't see that in your post.

Not to mention they cost like $9US new...why worry about it?

Shows what type of person the seller was.... but at least you sleep better at night. Don't worry too much abt it.

With regards to your photos.... lighting is the key.

Rule number 1: No directlight - use a lightbox

And almost instantly pictures will look a million times better.

Cheers mate - catch up with you one of these day.

Siesta

Its a small issue.. nvm.. I got so many people in RG who dont read the post properly, making me to look a cheapskate. The card was promised by him. I was more [censored] of his after service.

Very disappointed in RG anyway when so many people said waste of 5 min of their life reading, hinting I am a cheapskate who cant afford a SD card..

To think I was a VIP there, and helping people out of their disputes... Most of them are looking for juicy news of watch scamming, when it is not, I am the result of such comments...

I had the admin there to close my thread anyway...

Not the exact the best day of the week... Please dont call me to explain the issue anymore.. If you wish please search and read it in RG...

However, I appreicate the people here at least they read the post clearly before making a judgement.

I do not wish to talk anything more about my purchase... And thanks for the comments of my photo. If anyone can, do advise me on how to improve my shots... I think it looked grainy...

As a fellow Singaporean,

I hate to do this but you really sound like a whiner now. Come on, grow up. Why compare the feedbacks from different forums. You posted a thread and members are entitled to their opinion. Did you just expect good and feel good comments and if not, it's not a good forum and suddenly this place is better.

So if one day you post a thread here and the repsonse is not kind to you, I suppose you will be on RG saying that you are disappointed in RWG and RG is better is it?

I was one of those that responded to your thread on RG and like I said and I will say it here again. Your first post did not mention anything of a 2GB card, so why were you expecting it? You mentioned standard package, what is standard package?

You were promised a card, you got one, didn't you?

He got a free gift from the shop as he paid full price, he is not obliged to pass that to you. You did mention later in RG that he did promise. to give you the 2GB card. Great! so he was not keeping his part of the bargain but again, read your first post! You did not mention that

Please don't go around bad-mouthing members from other forums. You need to read your posts first!

When you start a thread, you need to expect all sorts of responses. Everyone is entitled to their opinions!

Not to offend I am not a whiner. I just want to show how some people can be after the after service. I was promised a 2gb card. I explained after the later post but people seems not to care and keep saying that I shouldnt have the card as a package since it is free to him. I did not mention RG was anything of a bad forum, please do not put words in my mouth. If it is a bad forum, I wont be a vip member. I gained my knowledge due to RG and I felt it is a great forum. Just that people dont read carefully, I have mentioned that I was PROMISED THE 2GB card, but I SAID THAT I AM NOT BOTHERED BY IT, please read later post after the first post. But people is still saying that as if I shouldnt get the card as when promised. I already SAID I AM NOT BOTHERED BY THE CARD INSTEAD THE GUYS's ATTITUDE but people keep putting words in my mouth.

Please try to put yourself into my shoes, I felt being wronged. Just like you are saying I am badmouthing people when I just said I am disappointed in people who put words in my mouth cos of not reading carefully.

I shouldnt have posted my exp here, I realised I was just slapping myself in the face when I post this thread.... esp when someone just slapped me.. And now? Everyone is slapping on me again...

For now, I am simply to lazy to explain things again and again. Its just a small matter but I thought I would share my buying experience..

I post the recent message emphasis is to stop debating who is right or wrong, I just want to close the issue and stop explaining.

As a fellow Singaporean,

I hate to do this but you really sound like a whiner now. Come on, grow up. Why compare the feedbacks from different forums. You posted a thread and members are entitled to their opinion. Did you just expect good and feel good comments and if not, it's not a good forum and suddenly this place is better.

So if one day you post a thread here and the repsonse is not kind to you, I suppose you will be on RG saying that you are disappointed in RWG and RG is better is it?

I was one of those that responded to your thread on RG and like I said and I will say it here again. Your first post did not mention anything of a 2GB card, so why were you expecting it? You mentioned standard package, what is standard package?

You were promised a card, you got one, didn't you?

He got a free gift from the shop as he paid full price, he is not obliged to pass that to you. You did mention later in RG that he did promise. to give you the 2GB card. Great! so he was not keeping his part of the bargain but again, read your first post! You did not mention that

Please don't go around bad-mouthing members from other forums. You need to read your posts first!

When you start a thread, you need to expect all sorts of responses. Everyone is entitled to their opinions!

Edited by repfreak

Again, you do not read too well. Please read what I wrote. I mentioned your first post. The people who were not sympathetic probably just read your first post. Please read your first post objectively and t ell me honestly, what wold be your reaction.

As for RG, This is what you wrote:

I had the admin there to close my thread anyway

Also, look at your heading. You know about the big scam incident at RG and you started with what at RG? " Damn, my turn to get conned!"

This will be my last reply to this. At the end of the day, your situation was aat worst, you met a slightly dishonest seller, if it was that as going by your first post, it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, your later post claiming the seller promised you this and that was only after the replies from other members about how this is not the case at all.

If you want to go deeper, I could be a [censored] and say the seller is not here to defend himself, you could say any damn thing you want! But let's not go there.

Two things,

Why the strong words on your header for the post? No matter how, it was not a "con job".

Secondly, coming here and complaining about members of another forum shows you are exactly that, a whiner.!

comon, I didnt post here because I post in RG and didnt get whatever +ve comments... I post 2 place at around the same time!

Why are you so uptight about it when i didnt?

Surely I have to defend myself when people said something about me untrue right?

its just a title probably so more people will be interested to view it?

its the fact what? People really read my post and said that reading this waste 5 mins of my life?

I already want to close off this issue why do you have to keep bringing it up?

"If you want to go deeper, I could be a [censored] and say the seller is not here to defend himself, you could say any damn thing you want!"

If this is what you think I am, think it that way.

I see no reason to explain why I have to explain what kind of character I am. Those who have met me I hope they know I am not such unreasonable person.

In case you dont know, its Benguin who said this..

"i think most people who read this thread were hoping to read a story about you sending $300 to buy a watch from a repgeeker and never receiving it or getting a watch that was busted

i think people are responding that way because we are accustomed to hearing about bigger scams and cons on this forum

and also, since this is a watch forum, i think people were secretly hoping for a "juicy" watch scam story to keep us entertained

it's kinda funny how the watch scam threads always have the highest view counts... "

If I am at fault for saying this without quoting Benguin and you think I am condemning the people in RG, I apologize. I will still spend most of my time there.

Its being ridiculous that you had to quarrel with me over such a small issue. Perhaps I just type what I feel without thinking the consequence, my apology.

Still I see no reason for your outburst.

If you think I am a whiner, so be it. I wont want my day to be spoilt by people what they say online.

Edited by repfreak

Apology accepted :) I had a bad week myself. Probably why I wrote with emotion without mentioning the details clearly.

For the graphix incident, I was the first one to contact him via msn to inform him that he was involved in recent dispute... I am not helping him anyway cos I think its irresponsible.

From what I gathered,

He didnt mean to scam that guy. He was in camp and told his maid to settle the shipping. He didnt see to the shipping personally. That was when the shipping was sent wrongly, maybe the payment from WU was sent wrongly. I cannot be sure if the watch he received is spoilt, he should have sent the watch back to the guy who who traded with him since he was the one who didnt see to the shipping properly. The way he saw it is since he didnt got the money or the watch, he rather keep the pam than to lose out.

I cant bear to explain that in RG cos I am not sure of the details and that is my speculation. I am the only one who saw him before and people may have thought I was his friend and was helping him to say smt.

I wont want to incur public wrath. speculation not = proof.

Edited by repfreak