When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's Your Daily "Beater" ?

lanikai

My daily beater is no rep either. I got this baby at Macy's for under $150. I had to by it before I started my clinical rotations. I didn't want the docs I was working with to be intimidated by what was on the my wrist. I used to wear a BR-01 as a daily but water got in it one day when I was poured down on, on the golf course. So I gave in and purchased an every day quartz watch to wear. This one is in fact water resistant to 100m. But I will say, every day I see plenty of watches that we all talk about on the wrists of the docs I work with. I saw a Patek and AP last week in the doctors lounge.

DSCN2542.jpg

My daily beater is no rep either. I got this baby at Macy's for under $150. I had to by it before I started my clinical rotations. I didn't want the docs I was working with to be intimidated by what was on the my wrist. I used to wear a BR-01 as a daily but water got in it one day when I was poured down on, on the golf course. So I gave in and purchased an every day quartz watch to wear. This one is in fact water resistant to 100m. But I will say, every day I see plenty of watches that we all talk about on the wrists of the docs I work with. I saw a Patek and AP last week in the doctors lounge.

DSCN2542.jpg

Well, Bizz, if you are thinking of entering Anesthesia practice.... soon you will be able to afford anything your heart desires... don't forget bout us though :D

Like most ppl here, I dont have a beater in my collection. All of them have their time under the sun especially after I found this place.

The piece that holds the record of longest time on my wrist is probably the first watch that I bought with my very first paycheck...

It's gone through tennis games, diving trips, "jungles" of LCK and Shoalwater Bay. Got scratches on the Hardlex crystal and dinks on the case to show for all its trouble. Running fast.... too fast for my liking. Nothing a visit to the watchdoctor won't cure though...

DSC01181.jpg

Like most ppl here, I dont have a beater in my collection. All of them have their time under the sun especially after I found this place.

The piece that holds the record of longest time on my wrist is probably the first watch that I bought with my very first paycheck...

It's gone through tennis games, diving trips, "jungles" of LCK and Shoalwater Bay. Got scratches on the Hardlex crystal and dinks on the case to show for all its trouble. Running fast.... too fast for my liking. Nothing a visit to the watchdoctor won't cure though...

DSC01181.jpg

There is a Story and Memories behind every timepiece !!!!! B) .. chinkiechunky... gotta love your exec. "beaters" ma man !!! edit add:.. your starched cuffs are ,..

DA BOMB !!!!!

Well, Bizz, if you are thinking of entering Anesthesia practice.... soon you will be able to afford anything your heart desires... don't forget bout us though :D

No doubt when I am done training I will get my gen Chrono Superocean B) . I used to look at these watches and say, man it would be nice to own a couple of these some day. Even with anesthesia money I would only be able to purchase a few. It is just too much fun collecting reps, so I plan on being around here for a while.

No doubt when I am done training I will get my gen Chrono Superocean B) . I used to look at these watches and say, man it would be nice to own a couple of these some day. Even with anesthesia money I would only be able to purchase a few. It is just too much fun collecting reps, so I plan on being around here for a while.

I used to train (personal trainer) an anethesiologist ... you may consider Hawaii for your practice.. they are second here only to Neuro Surgeons .. (in insurance premiums also...) :rolleyes: and are in demand !!

I used to train (personal trainer) an anethesiologist ... you may consider Hawaii for your practice.. they are second here only to Neuro Surgeons .. (in insurance premiums also...) :rolleyes: and are in demand !!

Lani, correcto, and even more so on the neighbor islands, short supply of anesthesiologists, good pay....high demand. Reminds me, do you remember when Hawaii State Disability insurance compensation used to include all chiropractic visits up until about 10 years ago, then they excluded them? We used to have the most per capita chiros per person than any other state in the union. When the State pulled the plug there was a mass exodus of chiropractors off the islands! Because of State govt. insurance payments, they were making huge money, it was big business, more than any other health care providers (a crime to say nonetheless) and many a chiro clinic disappeared overnight when the insurance spigot was turned off. Has nothing to do with anesthesiologists but now chiros numbers are down and not as popular as alternative therapy.

I see I'm not the only one that uses a gen. quartz for their tool/beater watch here (for those that do some work/fun other than a keyboard).........sorry RobbieG, I do almost all my work on a keyboard (also an ex-musician although probably not as successful as you (studio musician) but made a damn fine 25 yr good living being a high-end lounge lizard crooner), :type: but I like to fix household items as a hobby/necessity rather than throwing me $$ at it or some yardwork that I don't expect my gardener to do, and it requires some physical beatup to my watch labor I'm not willing to put my other mechanical gens through. You know I'm only kidden ya! I'm just a cheap/thrifty bastard at heart and always will be, no matter what the finances.

I recently mentioned my new replacement beater HERE as they've been Luminox quartz for the last four years, before that it was all digital, before that before most of you were born it was all Seiko quartz. Utilitarian accuracy/lume for the price of a good rep. nowadays. As you can see, I'm up to my normal self and beating it up tonight with a twist!

Beater.2009.jpg

Lani, correcto, and even more so on the neighbor islands, short supply of anesthesiologists, good pay....high demand. Reminds me, do you remember when Hawaii State Disability insurance compensation used to include all chiropractic visits up until about 10 years ago, then they excluded them? We used to have the most per capita chiros per person than any other state in the union. When the State pulled the plug there was a mass exodus of chiropractors off the islands! Because of State govt. insurance payments, they were making huge money, it was big business, more than any other health care providers (a crime to say nonetheless) and many a chiro clinic disappeared overnight when the insurance spigot was turned off. Has nothing to do with anesthesiologists but now chiros numbers are down and not as popular as alternative therapy.

Beater.2009.jpg

The MD's lobbyed the Insurance execs. ... they think of chiro's as "witch doctors".. actually becaus imo .... if a surgeon makes his money byu doing his "work" .. but a chiro fixes the nerve damage through alignment.. well ... no money for doctors .. only the top of the line insurance policies now cover.. and only 10 usd per visit .. with a limit per year..

alignment does wondrs for pain that doctors make loads of money on through surgery.. drugs..

there was a senior I was training and she was "The" power behind the HMSA .. doctors would cringe when meeting with her..

your point is so well taken.. the Insurance companies run the medical profession here..

but back on point... very artsy pic my Kupuna !!!! :)

I see I'm not the only one that uses a gen. quartz for their tool/beater watch here (for those that do some work/fun other than a keyboard).........sorry RobbieG, I do almost all my work on a keyboard (also an ex-musician although probably not as successful as you (studio musician) but made a damn fine 25 yr good living being a high-end lounge lizard crooner), :type: but I like to fix household items as a hobby/necessity rather than throwing me $$ at it or some yardwork that I don't expect my gardener to do, and it requires some physical beatup to my watch labor I'm not willing to put my other mechanical gens through. You know I'm only kidden ya! I'm just a cheap/thrifty bastard at heart and always will be, no matter what the finances.

Oh don't get me wrong - I very much enjoy rolling up the sleeves. I do all the repair and handy kine stuff at the office and the house usually - except cleaning and yardwork. But when I'm doing that work i just choose not to wear a watch at all as I find them uncomfortable while working. Always getting hung up on something.

And I think I knew you were a keyboard player too. It has been an age since I had anything to do with the "biz", but I enjoyed both the studio work and touring. Although after ten years on the road doing as much as two hundred dates a year it can be murder. I was pretty happy to retire from that life when I finally did. I thought I was cool when I first started touring. You know, rock and roll man - the whole vibe. But when I gained a few years I realized I'm really kind of a home body. Not very exciting. Not much for partying (drinking, etc.) as I got older either which is hard not to do on the road.

Oh, and you and I have had discussions before about the Omni thrift. And you know I'm just the opposite. No matter the annual take, I like to spend. Money is only something you need in case you don't die tomorrow - my Dad used to say. So as long as the nut is covered, the cushion is there, and the nest egg's shell is hard and unspoiled I'm not going to deny too many desires...

Sold this one, then missed it and bought another just like it. It takes a poundin at times and still looks good.

Seastar 1000

0004385eo7.jpg

That is a awesome looking piece P !!!!

PAM1A Posted Today, 12:36 AM

LANI,

I wish I could say "here is my daily beater"...but I can

And I think I knew you were a keyboard player too.

Nope Robbie, always a string man, guitar & bass, I meant work on a "computer keyboard." Started out in college mid-60's, graduated college and went out on the road. Early 70's, if you were a musician with waist length hair, cowboy boots & a guitar, you could write your own ticket. Since I was a lounge singer, my years on the road before landing on this island were spent at 6 week long gigs so only had to move around say 10 to 12 times a year, lodging & meals were included since they were all in nice hotels, some motels, ski resorts, etc. Got to spend time getting to know the place & people where I was gigging, pretty relaxing (although not as exciting as 200 gigs a year). Took all the money I made and just traveled to places I wanted to see.

But thrift came with my 2nd marriage, 1st son, then 3rd marriage, 2nd son, house payments, etc. I don't know if you plan on having children but it seems all those personal desires go out the window when they come along. Quit singing at 45 because I wanted to be home at night with the wife & kids. Now that I can afford pretty much all my desires again, kids out of the house, .........but life now is quality over quantity, old habit of looking for bargains seem fun to me, its like the art of the deal. Back on topic, so my latest beater I got off of eBay for $360 because it was a pre-release dealer model with a black datewheel and it was from a grey-marketer.

Got to spend time getting to know the place & people where I was gigging, pretty relaxing (although not as exciting as 200 gigs a year).

Yeah, I never got the chance to do that - I wish I did. For me the only things I got to know was the inside of airports, hotels and car services. The only relaxing I did was the hour and a half to two hours I was playing...