When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Glued In?

freddy333

According to the OP of the shattered ceramic GMTII bezel insert on TZ, Rolex glues the insert into the bezel (just like our reps). I do not know about anyone else, but this came as quite a surprise to me

UPDATE!

One of the owners of A G (my AD) got on another forum and verified the truth of my shattered ceramic bezel...for all you skeptics! email me and I will send you the link.

My dealer A G (actually JT at the store) got the head repair guy from Rolex on the phone today. My dealer really went to bat and fought for me BIG TIME! He explained my issues with the demanded repairs and pricing from Rolex and the head repair tech looked at my watch and deemed that he could just replace the ceramic bezel only and polish the case for me. He did not feel the movement on the watch needed a service.

It was explained to me in good detail as to why Rolex wanted to replace the whole bezel and do a full service. Basically Rolex is just covering themselves. However I understand the circumstances and months down the road if the watch is not keeping good time with in COSC I will send it in and pay for the service.

Rolex has replaced broken ceramic bezels on the new GMT before I have found out. My GMT is not the first with a shattered ceramic bezel. Rolex always wants to replace the whole bezel because usually the bezel is bent...even a fraction of 1mm off and the ceramic will not stay glued into the bezel. Luckily my watch did not fall far and fell with out hitting the bezel. Basically it was explained to me that Rolex is just covering themselves by replacing the whole bezel and doing a full service.

Now that Rolex is just polishing up the watch and gluing in a new ceramic part the cost has been greatly reduced into the low hundreds of dollars. A G is being extremely gracious and said they are picking up the charges. That is really overboard and nice of them. However I will not allow them to do this since I dropped the watch and none of this is their fault. I demanded that I pay....fair is fair and this is the right thing for me to do.

According to the OP of the shattered ceramic GMTII bezel insert on TZ, Rolex glues the insert into the bezel (just like our reps). I do not know about anyone else, but this come as quite a surprise to me

That's very interesting, and indeed, kudos to the guy for insisting on picking up the tab, too many folks nowadays would just scream 'warranty' and refuse to pay, even if the accident was down to them.

Rolex have replaced several ceramic inserts... I need to have a real think about my project... I love how the ceramic insert looks, but I don't want a beater which can't take a beating :lol:

look at the bright side -- there's still no glue in our vintage rolex :D

Yes & this epiphany about using glue to install the ceramic insert does not strike me as the usual Rolex way of doing things. It sounds like someone put the proverbial cart before the horse - designing a new series of ceramic bezeled watches before realizing that, unlike steel, a ceramic insert cannot be squeezed (temporarily bent) to fit into a bezel. Reminds me of someone who comes up with a brilliant design for custom furniture, but, in his impatience to get it produced quickly, ends up finding out (the hard way) that it will not fit in through front door of his house. :bangin:

Shundi i had held back and not said anything about your avatar pic, but now that someone else brought it up.... I can't help but scroll back up to your post every time, it's like a drug.

Keep up the good work.

And regarding Rolex, I heard they were going to start selling more affordable Ceramic GMT II's by using PVD coated SS bezels ^_^

The IIc is a dress watch not a tool watch anymore.

I do not see how you can possibly call the GMTII a dress watch. On the other hand, I think most would agree that Rolex, with its current product lineup, has lost all pretense of being a maker of tool watches.

I thought Rolex had an ad about how great and strong the ceramic bezel was. I guess it is more bullshit to go with the "It takes a year to build a Rolex" line.

To be fair, I think Rolex is suffering a bit of Bush-itis (having their comments misread or misunderstood & then used against them).

The only comments I have ever seen coming from Rolex that relate to the quality or strength of their new ceramic bezels state that they are resistant to corrosion & ultraviolet light & scratch-proof

CeramicBezel.jpg

No where have I ever seen Rolex suggest that this material is 'unbreakable', impervious to impacts or capable of withstanding abnormal abuse (like being dropped onto a hard surface).

I do not see how you can possibly call the GMTII a dress watch. On the other hand, I think most would agree that Rolex, with its current product lineup, has lost all pretense of being a maker of tool watches.

To be fair, I think Rolex is suffering a bit of Bush-itis (having their comments misread or misunderstood & then used against them).

The only comments I have ever seen coming from Rolex that relate to the quality or strength of their new ceramic bezels state that they are resistant to corrosion & ultraviolet light & scratch-proof

CeramicBezel.jpg

No where have I ever seen Rolex suggest that this material is 'unbreakable', impervious to impacts or capable of withstanding abnormal abuse (like being dropped onto a hard surface).

Oh man, I nearly pissed myself when I read the small print on that advert, as that is precicely the material I suggested that Rolex should be making the bezels out of due to it's strengthened structure :lol: Seeing as that stuff is used in applications like joint replacements, F1 brake discs and jewellery, it's clearly a pretty strong substance, so must've taken one heck of a whack to shatter like that :lol: Oh well :D