When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

skyland avenger from Josh

yachtmaster1027

i rec'd a blue skyland avenger from josh and it is absolutely beautiful! however, i think theres something wrong with the movement. i have wound the watch well and it runs fine while sitting upright. when it sits sideways or when its on my wrist, the second hand will not sweep smoothly (instead is sweeps for about 4 seconds and then clicks forward about 2 seconds.) when the second hand freezes, the whole watch stops keeping time and the chronograph wont work...by shaking the watch gently the second hand will start again...nothing is impeding the second hand, it is a fair distance from the dial and doesnt brush against it. it has to be something with the movement, would you agree?

i emailed josh about the problem and he told me to "Tap the watch on the side.. against your palm.. Tap it a couple time.. Pretty hard.. Seee if it will free things up." im still having the same problem, i asked if i could send the watch back for an exchange but josh said, "Let the watch stay upright for a period of 2 days.. See if it will get better .Sorry I cannot allow exchange to another model."

it looks like i have a new $250 paperweight...has anyone had a similar problem with the a7750? any advice?

i emailed josh about the problem and he told me to "Tap the watch on the side.. against your palm.. Tap it a couple time.. Pretty hard.. Seee if it will free things up." im still having the same problem, i asked if i could send the watch back for an exchange but josh said, "Let the watch stay upright for a period of 2 days.. See if it will get better .Sorry I cannot allow exchange to another model."

it looks like i have a new $250 paperweight...has anyone had a similar problem with the a7750? any advice?

Don't worry...it won't be a paper weight. Often the watches need to run for a few days to get "broken in". Try running it as Josh said in the position that works for a couple days...or try wearing it for a couple days contiuously if it runs while wearing it.

If it still is having the same problem...I think you should contact Josh and re-word your email. It sounds like he is mistaking your request to exchange the watch you have with either a new one or another model. This they usually don't allow. If you ask if he will repair the faulty movement because the second hand is getting stuck...that he will do for sure.

Another option is to buy a replacement movement...and do a swap (movements cost about $120 - $150 and a swap can cost $100)...almost the cost of the watch I know!!!

The other option is...if you think it's a watch you want to keep...you can have it serviced. Look for links for people who do servicing (there aren't a huge number of them) of A7750 movements in my Noob Guide. A7750 movements to be kept reliable, are recommended for complete breakdown, cleaning and re-lubing at around the 1 year mark. Some never do this...and their reps may last <1 year to a few years without problems...it's all luck of the cards!!

This happens. All of us who have bought reps have had to mail them back for one reason or another...it's unfortunate it may happen with your first one...as it means nervous sweating and worrying about arrival in China..and it means usually a 2 month wait...but very very few have had problems. I have not. This is where seasoned rep veterans say you have to have much patience with the replica game.

thank you for the advice. i have nothing bad to say about josh and you're right i had asked him for a different watch/replacement. i will try the advice and hopefully it will work, its a beautiful watch!

It is a for profit business where unfortunately they being in China, can control things a bit. I remember back in the early days, I had asked that when they posted the return for a watch being repaired if they could throw in another order of mine into the return shipping. They said if I did that...I would have to pay the return shipping. My theory was, that if they were going to pay for the return shipping anyways for a warranty return...why not encourage me to put in an additional order now...but they have their shipping rules.

You can hate them for many things (like QC problems)...but not for consistency I suppose.

Keep the Skyland. I love mine...wear it all the time. Stick it on a leather strap and it is an amazing piece!! It is truly an excellent rep.

Errr... Tapping the watch hard to "free things up" does not say much about the movement does it? Definitely not a solution.

Best you find a watchmaker to open the watch and see what is it exactly that is not freeing things up.

I am in total agreement with Toad, the skyland's a wonderful replication. I have the grey dial on Cajun's Cognac gator strap. Awesome

Cheers

i rec'd a blue skyland avenger from josh and it is absolutely beautiful! however, i think theres something wrong with the movement. i have wound the watch well and it runs fine while sitting upright. when it sits sideways or when its on my wrist, the second hand will not sweep smoothly (instead is sweeps for about 4 seconds and then clicks forward about 2 seconds.) when the second hand freezes, the whole watch stops keeping time and the chronograph wont work...by shaking the watch gently the second hand will start again...nothing is impeding the second hand, it is a fair distance from the dial and doesnt brush against it. it has to be something with the movement, would you agree?

same problem with a Tag but mine would completely stop. I sent it back for an exchange (wasn't from Josh though)

I have 3 different dial colour Skylands and had each movement stopped or stopped after I regulated the movement.. 2 were running extremely fast.

it has to do with the 2 arms .. it's time I post pics and let the experts explain..

but the lower arm at a certain position .... stopped the movement .. I believe it was around the 4 oclock and 10 oclock position relative to the setting of the arm .. after finding what seems to be the "sweet" spot for the arms ... meaning the time is pretty much spot on give or take a few seconds a day.. they have been running in sync with my blackberry and all three are keeping the same time ..

seems like the problem was in the servicing from the maker of the skylands.. too many members have reported movements stopping (skylands), whereas other makers with the same movement had no issues.

I will try to get some pics up and explain through the images..

edit add: .. it's a very easy fix.. (cause I can do it.. it has to be easy and simple) .. all you need is duct tape (if you don't have a rubber ball case opener) and a toothpick.. easy as tying shoes.. seriously

According to The Zigmeister this is absolutely nonsense...

The Zigmeister has a right to his very expert opinion, but I've had several reps that ran weird for about a week and fine after that. My guess is there was a bit of dirt in the movement that shook loose - rep factories are not the cleanest in the watch world.

If course, you should probably take it to a qualified person for a cleaning and adjustment, anyway - it's good general practice.

The Zigmeister has a right to his very expert opinion, but I've had several reps that ran weird for about a week and fine after that. My guess is there was a bit of dirt in the movement that shook loose - rep factories are not the cleanest in the watch world.

If course, you should probably take it to a qualified person for a cleaning and adjustment, anyway - it's good general practice.

That's probably more the sounds of it. The movement should not need running to break in if properly machined and oiled...but because of shoddy assembly, dirt, metal flakes, etc...running it helps push the dirt to areas that affect the watch less or the metal shards from jamming things up. Running dry, un-jewelled movements gets some good old metal-on-metal acclerated wear going too, that probably helps "smooth" down jagged edges that make the movements choppy too.

Temporary fix? Yes, often. Time bomb for reliability? Absolutely.

The one statement that rings in my mind is... "The A7750 is a good movement, but serviced improperly" .. that is the basic mantra I have .. ergo the fact that it "is" (in all my skylands) very easily remedied... :)

that is the only statement I hear in my mind .... it would be erroneous of me to quote Ziggy otherwise ... as I am definately not speaking for the Zig.