When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What the heck is wrong with my Crazy Date?!?

nakortheblue

after reading the "Top Bargain Buys!" post by chrgod, i decided to get a fun watch, the FM Totally Crazy with Crazy Hour and Crazy Date.

here is a picture of the dial with the date indicator as i forgot to take a shot before I started dismantling the watch.

dialcz5.jpg

the crazy hour worked fine but the crazy date kept jumping to the wrong date.

from the picture, it should be jumping 7 dates to "5" next (green circle) but it would always take 1 jump less, in this case to "27" (red circle).

i had a fairly long email exchange with the dealer. the gist of it was that he said it would get better over time. <_<

i gave up pursuing the matter since I wasn't all that keen on spending money sending it to GZ on the possibility that it may be lost or stolen.

since the watch didn't really suit me, i decided that it should end its life on the operating table to further the cause of science (so to speak). :D

with Toad's FM movement guide as a reference, i got as far as the top plate.

topplateah4.jpg

this is where i got stuck. i removed the 3 screw at the red locations and still couldn't remove the top plate.

eventually, i had to use a cheap, flat head screwdriver to pry the top plate off.

bottomplatejq5.jpg

at first, i had no idea what to look at and then i saw what i assumed to be the jump date gear on the right.

hey, wait a minute, there's something strange with the gear.

turns out that one of the teeth is broken.

i guess this was what caused the date to jump 1 date less.

jumpgearqg8.jpg

jumpgear2wu6.jpg

nothing left to do now but to bury the pieces in the backyard... :p

thanks for looking.

special thanks to Toad for his inspiring guide and his PM encouraging me to post this.

hmm... the watch is about 3 months old... so probably quite a long shot.

anyway, it didn't look good on me and it was quite fun taking apart so i'll let the matter rest.

less stress for me that way... B)

Hmm...any chance you could email the dealer those pictures and see if he could do anything? Long shot but might be worth a shot...

Thanks for posting that. It does make things look clearer. 3 months unfortunately is past the warranty period for most dealers unless you have a sales history with them and they want to keep you on the good books.

If you contact Peter (Watchstation), he will likely be able to get a replacement movement for you. The Crazy Hours movements (without jump date) were $40 when I ordered them from him I think...in that neighbourhood. You could order a couple movements for backups with another watch to offset shipping.

BTW...you obviously figured out how to get that top plate off...but how was held on? Was it glued on?

nah... it's not really my kind of watch so i'll just leave it in the graveyard.

thanks for the info anyways.

there wasn't any glue or tape holding the top plate but it was quite tight and i could not pry it loose from the top but only from the side. seems like it was held by some form of tension. it did not fit back as tightly again.

Thanks for posting that. It does make things look clearer. 3 months unfortunately is past the warranty period for most dealers unless you have a sales history with them and they want to keep you on the good books.

If you contact Peter (Watchstation), he will likely be able to get a replacement movement for you. The Crazy Hours movements (without jump date) were $40 when I ordered them from him I think...in that neighbourhood. You could order a couple movements for backups with another watch to offset shipping.

BTW...you obviously figured out how to get that top plate off...but how was held on? Was it glued on?

nah... it's not really my kind of watch so i'll just leave it in the graveyard.

thanks for the info anyways.

there wasn't any glue or tape holding the top plate but it was quite tight and i could not pry it loose from the top but only from the side. seems like it was held by some form of tension. it did not fit back as tightly again.

Do you think the posts at the date #'s 30 and 10 might have acted as rivets to the top plate?? I'm curious where the tension came to hold this on. The posts there and at date #16 look to keep the top dial from rubbing the gears below it. I wonder if these were press fit onto the posts and held in place by the screws as backup.

BTW...what colour were your hour and minute hands. If they were blue...I might be interested in buying them off you.

yeah, the posts look like they may have been holding the plater there.

the hands are silver... i'm not going to be putting it together again so they're yours if you want.

Do you think the posts at the date #'s 30 and 10 might have acted as rivets to the top plate?? I'm curious where the tension came to hold this on. The posts there and at date #16 look to keep the top dial from rubbing the gears below it. I wonder if these were press fit onto the posts and held in place by the screws as backup.

BTW...what colour were your hour and minute hands. If they were blue...I might be interested in buying them off you.

• 1 month later...