When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gmt Hand Slower Than The Hour Hand.. (eta 2836)

Hi guys, my GMT hand seems to be slower than my hour hand..

So for example, i'll make sure everthing matches up properly at 4pm..

Then at about 10pm, the GMT hand is showing 2130 hours..

Im am puzzled, coz when i manually take the hour hand one round (via the crown), the GMT hand lines up nicely..

Any tips?

Thanks...

Could the GMT hand be slipping? At 4PM, the GMT would be at 1600 hours, if its losing 30 minutes by 10 PM, 2200 hours, that would be my first guess. Beyond that, it's a trip to the watchmaker, or sending it back to who you got it from.

This is from my Rolex GMT Master II review:

--------------------------------------------------------->

How to use & set the GMT hand in ETA 2836-2 version:

You unscrew the crown to the date set position and TURN THE CROWN ANTI-CLOCKWISE to adjust the GMT hand into desired position. It's not absolutely necessary to tweak the GMT hand. You can also turn the bezel and set the 24 hour markers into desired "timezone" position to match your GMT hand. Then click the crown back to "winding position" and screw it back in (properly).

The GMT hand moves 2 times slower than the hour hand. So it makes full circle in 24 hours, instead of 12 hours. Many newbies buy the watch and complain that GMT hand isn't following. IT IS FOLLOWING, IT'S JUST TWICE AS SLOW. GMT hand hour markers ARE ON THE BEZEL INSERT, NOT ON THE DIAL!!!

<-----------------------------------------------------

Are you sure it's not this "problem"?

@Sprockett... perhaps there is a problem... I could not replicate your results. But help me here, what do you mean when you say, "everything matches up properly at 4pm"? Can you be more specific, please?

Try this: Set the main hands to (say) 4.00 pm. Set the GMT to the "16" marker on the bezel. When the main hands read 10 pm, the GMT hand should be pointing to the "22" marker on the bezel. If it doesn't... you have a problem. If it does... all is well.

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Edited by Highflyingclive

Hi guys, haha yes i know that the GMT should be exactly half the speed of the hour hand...

what im saying, is that its SLOWER than that..

at 4pm, i set GMT 1600hrs.

Come 10pm, the GMT is showing 2130..

It might be slipping... how should i correct this?

It is very mysterious, because if i manually turn the crown for a full 24 hours, the GMT performs perfectly!

I just reset the GMT about 12 hours ago, and it seems to be ok now..

If its slipping, would a watch maker be able to fix it?

Thanks for the help guys.. it is much appreciated..

@Sprockett... perhaps there is a problem... I could not replicate your results. But help me here, what do you mean when you say, "everything matches up properly at 4pm"? Can you be more specific, please?

Try this: Set the main hands to (say) 4.00 pm. Set the GMT to the "16" marker on the bezel. When the main hands read 10 pm, the GMT hand should be pointing to the "22" marker on the bezel. If it doesn't... you have a problem. If it does... all is well.

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

If its slipping, would a watch maker be able to fix it?

Has the watch been opened recently, like for a relume or something? If the hands have been removed, they can sometimes slip afterwards. It's apparently a well-known problem with modded 2836s, and you may need to push the hand in further.

This should be something that can be repaired if this is the case, even if it's by adding some sort of adhesive. :blink:

Nice smartass comments about Sprockett not knowing how to read a 24 hour hand when he makes it very clear in his initial post that the GMT hand is losing time. Maybe people should read what someone actually has to say before firing off the snidery.

I seem to recall the PAM GMT watches commonly having this problem, something about the hand stack causing friction. The Zigmeister wrote about it extensively.

Nice smartass comments about Sprockett not knowing how to read a 24 hour hand when he makes it very clear in his initial post that the GMT hand is losing time. Maybe people should read what someone actually has to say before firing off the snidery.

Sorry, sir. I'll do better next time. I really didn't mean it and ... wait, what does this have to do with you? :black_eye:

Not to be funny, but if the problem had been described clearly, we'd have answered with help immediately. When you ask for help, the people helping you (for free, don't forget) have to eliminate the simple responses first. If the OP didn't say that he knew the GMT hand swept a 24-hour sweep, we're going to have to assume it's yet another person that doesn't get it, and offer that advice first.

This isn't a paid support line, this is a forum: We're all about the dialogue. The OP was happy about the advice he got, and to me that's as much as we can hope for.

Is this long, clear and descriptive enough for you not to write off as an "unnecessary snipe" or should I prettify it up some more for you?

I seem to recall the PAM GMT watches commonly having this problem, something about the hand stack causing friction. The Zigmeister wrote about it extensively.

Seriously. For once, get off that high horse of yours and quit being so pretentiously righteous all the bloody time.