When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Story about old school watch repair

Deadlast01

Great story about a dying breed. Supposedly there is someone very similar not too far from me. He's originally from Europe, where he learned his trade, and has been doing it all his life. A couple years ago I had heard that he was on the verge of retirement and have been meaning to go in just to see the shop. But I haven't gotten around to it. I really should.

Wonderful read. On another note this leads me to asking the question I've been wanting to for a while... How do you get in to watch repair? I'd really like to start doing it and I'm sure I need to set up a 'lab' of sorts rather than just working in my room but where is a good place to start? Just get some watches and take them apart and put them back together?

Wonderful read. On another note this leads me to asking the question I've been wanting to for a while... How do you get in to watch repair? I'd really like to start doing it and I'm sure I need to set up a 'lab' of sorts rather than just working in my room but where is a good place to start? Just get some watches and take them apart and put them back together?

Yes, just get some watches, watchmaking tools (ofrei.com, cas-ker.com, cousinsuk.com, etc) & go at it. Or, enroll in Timezone's online watchmaking school. There are also a number of watchmaking schools around the US that are sponsored by Rolex, which even pays your tuition.