When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

summertime blue in white gold

JJFlash

Actually, I own them as I thought, wrongly, I would appreciate them as personally 'functional'. That they would suit me. After a 'test drive', I realized, no, they do not.

Which brings to the conversation how amazing and what a resource that facet of 'replica' is. It gives you the opportunity for more than 2000% mark down to experience a wrist watch in the non-virtual. Towit, I thought, since I registered RWG in '04. how amazing it would be to own a genuine Daytona. I admired them since childhood as my father and all his cronies wore them. I chanced a 16520 and felt ridiculous, given my circle, vocation and station wearing it. I was self conscious regardless and aside of it being a 'replica'. Could you imagine the horror to come to that realization after spending upwards of 25K in a moment of retail hysteria?! YIKES!

Through the RWG experience I have come to realize I am a 'Submariner Man' as I always knew deep down. Perhaps a Sea Dweller, but not the DSSD surely. Vintage as well, the older the better.

As for the Daytona, as I have been given one through legacy, I will wear that proudly with ZERO remorse. :)

6263II.jpg

That Daytona really is a thing of beauty, and, as you say, being aquired through legacy, one which you don't need to feel self-conscious about.

I think you're absolutely right about the 'test drive' aspect of reps, it certainly does give that option. The APRO (Not oversized) I bought for a friend, being a good example for me. It's a really nice watch, and I know that he wears it daily and gets a lot of pleasure from it, but personally, I'm not so sure I'd actually want one for myself. I think the lack of a rotating bezel is the thing which puts me off, as they are useful, even if used for purposes other than diving :lol: I'm definitely more into the GMTs/Subs/SeaDwellers myself. When I was younger, I used to love chronos, but now, I just like something uncluttered and easy to read :)

The 'Summer Blue', as may have been mentioned here already is a 'snipe'. A 'Japan Release' only edition, for a short run in the 70's to 80's (ish, it's been a while since I researched, and with freddy around I wouldn't waste my time :D ). Seldom seen photographed, never have I as a wrist shot, and certainly not on these boards. Sort of like the Triumph Spitfire, or the Saab Sonnet. Merely "meh" automobiles in their day, but now highly sought after.

Ahh, this would be like the red SMP... Definitely brings some suspicion to the one worn on Bones...

Think faded jeans, sneaks & a t & the Smurf works.

Oh for sure, having seen the one on Bones, I know that it looks like a nice watch, I just done think it would be 'me'. Maybe I'll pick up a really cheap one at some point in the future for the 'test drive', and if it doesn't quite grab me, it can either remain in the 'movie section' of the collection, or be sold on :)

Brooklands Green with factory hardtop & electronic overdrive - a rare beast, indeed

1978spitfire1.jpg

Image51jpg.jpg

That's one fine automobile :good: My best friend's dad has an MGB soft-top in British Racing Green under cover in his garage. I don't know if he ever drives it, but it's a nice piece B)

Brooklands Green with factory hardtop & electronic overdrive - a rare beast, indeed

OUCH! Stupendous! Great googly moogly!

"Brooklands" now that is a day trip. And a half. My Father-in-Law had to drag me away from the grounds. Literally. He brought me there to visit with the Wellington as he served as bomb rigger on the ground crew RAF. Then I discovered the motorcycles; "You go on ahead, this is going to take me a while....................."

The birth place of British aviation and motorsport. I have goose flesh just thinking about it even now. That hallowed ground is haunted in the best way. It's electric. The air is.

I'm afraid to even mention Hurricane. You just may post a pic of that GMT wrist shot on the stick. And well, it's all over then. :)

"Brooklands" now that is a day trip. And a half. My Father-in-Law had to drag me away from the grounds. Literally. He brought me there to visit with the Wellington as he served as bomb rigger on the ground crew RAF. Then I discovered the motorcycles; "You go on ahead, this is going to take me a while....................."

The birth place of British aviation and motorsport. I have goose flesh just thinking about it even now. That hallowed ground is haunted in the best way. It's electric. The air is.

I'm afraid to even mention Hurricane. You just may post a pic of that GMT wrist shot on the stick. And well, it's all over then. :)

Well, you know your racing history & the world is safe - no Hurricanes at this end (Triumph or Armstrong). We did mostly old Jags & Triumphs with a couple of Lotus & MGs along the way.