When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Redux

Ronin

Ok, so it is not a rep. And don't hate on the quartz ;).

Here is the story so far. Did you ever come across a watch that simply jumped out at you, regardless of brand, movement, etc? About six months ago I came across the following advertisement in "Wired" magazine (see below). I ripped it out, and it has been floating around my desk ever since. I battled the "but it's quartz" for the last six months, but simply love the design. My personal style in watch's lately has shifted towards vintage, and military style models.

About a month ago, I came across the watch at my local Nordstrom's. Tried it on. Loved it. Got the nod from the wife. However, Nordstrom sells it for MSRP/List price which I was not prepared to pay. (Note: I have seen this watch for sale as high as $1295 on Amazon, $995 was the "on-release" price, and the current list price is down to $695.) I managed to snag it for about the same price as my rep Black Steel, $400. I feel at that price point it was worth it.

I present to you the Victorinox Swiss Army Infantry Vintage Chrono:

The ad that started it all - I love the Sword hands!!!:

sa1p.jpg

Unboxing:

86img1604.jpg

(Wow!!! Instructions AND a warranty! ;) )

86img1608.jpg

Eye Candy:

86img1610.jpg

Dial changes color in different lighting conditions:

86img1615.jpg

86img1618.jpg

Direct Sunlight = Green

86img1619.jpg

LUME is Supa...:

img1634.jpg

Size Comparison 47mm including crown SOH is 50mm including crown:

86img1623.jpg

(still need a better strap for the SOH)

86img1630.jpg

Hey, it's complicated :)

86img1639.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this. So far, first impressions are great. The fit, finish and overall quality of this is supurb. Bang for the Buck is definetly there.

PRODUCT DETAILS

• Made in Switzerland with precision Swiss analog quartz movement
  • Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment
  • Stainless Steel case with screw-in caseback
  • Luminous hands, numerals and hour markers
  • Protected Crown
  • Chronograph 30-min, 60-sec, 1/10th sec
  • Telemeter Scale
  • Date Calendar
  • Stainless Steel Bracelet
  • Water resistant to 10 ATM (100 meters/330 feet)
  • 44mm case diameter (47 including crown)

Final thoughts, the watch is also available in Gunmetal PVD.

Almost forgot. This watch functions as a "Telemeter". Not to be confused with "Tachymeter". This makes sense on an infantry watch. A Tachymeter is used to calculate speed, wheras the Telemeter is used to calculate distance. How does it work? Remember when you were a kid and you would count how long it would take from a "flash" of lightning until you heard the thunder?

This works the same way, you can use it to calculate the distance of a thunderstorm or distance of artillery by timing the flash to explosion. Start the chrono when you see lightning/artilery flash. Stop the chrono on BOOM and note the distance on the bezel.

Thanks for viewing,

-Ronin

Here is the story so far. Did you ever come across a watch that simply jumped out at you, regardless of brand, movement, etc? About six months ago I came across the following advertisement in "Wired" magazine (see below). I ripped it out, and it has been floating around my desk ever since. I battled the "but it's quartz" for the l

Ronin, very nice Swiss Army. enjoy it.

I have to say, I really know the filling, and that happen too often. I got the same filling with the Swiss Army Dive 500 Black Ice, I just could not resist the dark gray gun metal treatment. I first saw it in a mag ad and it keep printed in mind until I got one.

And that is just one example.

I also love the Black Ice. It was interesting to see the handful of Victorinox SA watches that even made it into the 2009 WatchTime Buyers Guide.

This SA even caught my eye since I also like the Breitling Emergency/Aerospace:

Chrono%20Classic%20MultiTask%20MT.jpg

AerospaceE75362-600.jpg

SA also has a wicked 7750 Auto as well:

victorinox-airboss-mach-6-power-gauge-pilots-watch.jpg

victorinox-airboss-mach-6-power-gauge-pilots-watch-caseback-detail.jpg

Enjoy

-Ronin

Ronin, I did not know the SA Chrono Classic XLS MT, did you notice that it does not have any pusher ? I look at SA web page, all function are controlled with the crown. This is great, it implies a learning process, but I really like it.

Well Ronin, you make it happen again, I WANT IT. :wacko: