When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blackberry Storm

wsj_ca

Hey Everyone,

I just picked up a Blackberry Storm a couple of days ago and I'm quite impressed. There a few minor issues that I'd like to resolve and was wondering if anyone has tried updating their OS with a leaked beta version? Is their a risk of "bricking" the phone by doing this?

I've used one unofficial operating system, and it was fine. Only reason that I don't download each one is because I have a BES, and each OS knocks me off and I have to have the IT folks reconnect it.

Just BACK UP YOUR FILES, and you'll be fine.

.75 works ok for me, though. Based on what I'm hearing, the next official OS should be a revelation.

Happy with mine as well, but wish typing was faster.

Also hoping they launch that talked about app store.

The IPhone is just so much more fun and functional with all of the apps available for free or cheap money.

Yep i feel u... i have the bold but the lack of apps is annoying! I come from series 60 symbian platform that i used extensively over the years...

iPhone is as u said a great device no doubt and in terms of multimedia entertainment nothing comes close... but personally the lack of multitasking and a hw keyboard don't make it top device in my drawer...

Bold on the other hand when it comes to HW shines ... i adore the bold keyboard and screen but the lack of apps, droping my corporate chat and sometimes annoying settings made me put it up for trade recently...

Ill be getting a nokia e75 soon from WOM Nokia looking forward to see what that can do...

LAZ

I have to agree that the iphone is tops for entertainment. However, I don't think RIM is about to orphan any of their next gen devices. I'd expect to see some sort of centralized downloading application soon. My Telus version already has a primative version of this and offers a couple of directly downloadable apps through Blackberry Help. Still a ways to go until it offers an iphone experience though.

I just picked up a Nokia 5800. At first I thought it was a bit so, so. A few weeks down the line and I would recommend this phone to everybody, wi-fi,gps, agps,nokia maps,best audio out there,hi-res screen the list goes on. All at a low price and in a small package. Does everything a smart phone should at a bargain price. Check it out...

The main issue with the apps so far is software needs to be made specifically for this model to take advantage of the touch screen and accelator.

I do think that RIM is working hard on this and will advertise extensively when they launch their very own app store to compete with Apple.

Unfortunately from what I understand, the graphics will never be IPhone quality becuase although the BB screen is actually brighter it does not have 3D cababilities that the IPhone has, please correct me if I am wrong.

I own both and use the BB strickly for work becuase it is no fun, the IPhone is strictly used by me for fun.

Feature Nokia 5800 Apple iPhone 3G. N.B. all functions for 5800 on left...iPhone on right.

Touch user interface optimised for one-hand use with tactile feedback... two-hand usage, multitouch

Screen 640 x 360 pixels (nHD)... 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi

Keys and input method Stylus, finger and hand-writing... finger

voice commands...no

E-mail plain text (IMAP, POP, SMTP, Mail for Exchange)... HTML (IMAP, POP, SMTP, Mail for Exchange)

Web browsing HTML, XHTML, WML, Javascript, Flash... HTML, XHTML, WML, Javascript, no Flash

GPS free maps on the phone, voice navigation (optional), walk mode... online maps only

Photo 3.2 MP, Carl Zeiss, dual LED flash... 2 MP

Video 640

The main issue with the apps so far is software needs to be made specifically for this model to take advantage of the touch screen and accelator.

I do think that RIM is working hard on this and will advertise extensively when they launch their very own app store to compete with Apple.

Unfortunately from what I understand, the graphics will never be IPhone quality becuase although the BB screen is actually brighter it does not have 3D cababilities that the IPhone has, please correct me if I am wrong.

I own both and use the BB strickly for work becuase it is no fun, the IPhone is strictly used by me for fun.

The 5800 doesn't have hardware graphic acceleration, I presume the iPhone does? Regarding apps, 10,000 expected this year versus 6000 in six years for the iPhone...

Yup the iphone could use a lot of work. Not going to give mine up though, there are a lot of great apps (lots of crappy ones too).

Oh, btw personal experience - mine has not crashed yet after 3 months. My various flavours of blackberries and WM devices crashed regularly - daily in the case of WM. It's a refreshing change.

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting for delivery on Monday Nokia N85. I almost went for the 5800 my son has one. I am not yet convinced on the longevity of some of the touchscreen phones, various people I know have had issues with them. The new LG KM900 Arena is out here later this month it looks a beauty.

New smartphones really are incredible, good quality camera combined with a better video camera than many digital cameras, clock, alarm clock, appointment diary & reminder, stopwatch, scientific calculator, dictaphone, email & internet browsing device, tv reciever, movie player, mp3 player, fm radio, torch,storage devices for any media, sat-nav, & on top of that you can even make telephone calls. A whole suitcase full of gizmo's.

Cheers

Johnkaz.