When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dw Vj23

bertieng

You probably don't want to be "adjusting the beat", anyway.

Read The Zigmeister's tutorial on the subject before sharpening your screwdrivers...

Do you have the link? I can't find it in the Forum. Thanks.

The balance bridge has two marks on it, for "plus" and "minus". Looking at the stopped movement you can see the hairspring attaching to the balance bridge, on a shiny piece of steel fastened at a rotating center pivot. Look at it and think carefully... rotating that piece one way will tighten the hairspring, and make it run faster. That will also rotate the opposite end of that shiny piece in the direction of the "plus" sign.

There's your answer.

Now then, if you can't look at the movement and figure out what I'm talking about, chances are you shouldn't make this adjustment on your own. It's intuitive if you're fairly mechanically inclined.

Thanks for your advice.

But sorry I don't get it when I look at DW's vj23, there is no such plus/minus indicator there. I know there are such markings like on the 6497 but not in this case here for this movement. You can see from the attached photo for reference.

post-943-1154518849_thumb.jpg

Any more clue on how to adjust the beat?

Thanks again.

Any more clue on how to adjust the beat?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya.

You do not under any circumstances want to be altering the beat - please stop saying you do. You want to adjust the speed, which is completely and utterly different. I once took some bad advice and adjusted the beat on a watch and it caused a small african country to cease to be ... no, wait, it caused my watch to need to be sent off for a $175 service.

There are several posts on how to regulate your watch. Let me nanny you and find you one, poppet.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1365

Ok? Now go boo boos, petal.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya.

You do not under any circumstances want to be altering the beat - please stop saying you do. You want to adjust the speed, which is completely and utterly different. I once took some bad advice and adjusted the beat on a watch and it caused a small african country to cease to be ... no, wait, it caused my watch to need to be sent off for a $175 service.

There are several posts on how to regulate your watch. Let me nanny you and find you one, poppet.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1365

Ok? Now go boo boos, petal.

Yeah, may be I used the wrong terms. My watch is running slow, so I want adjust the speed. Regulate should be the appropriate terminology.

My curiosity, what is adjusting the beat then?

Okay... Just how slow is your movement running? There are some things that regulating simply can't fix by adjusting, because there are other problems elsewhere that need to be addressed...

Hi Randy,

About 5 min. a day.

So where is the regulator on this movt? Can you please indicate and advise how to adjust?

Thanks.

5 minutes a day? I don't think regulation is going to fix that... There's most likely something else going on with the movement... Regulation is only going to adjust for seconds, not minutes :(

Oh, I am now trapped as the DW vj23 is almost impossible to get anybody to fix. :help:

After reading the tutorial, take another close look at the photo you provided. It looks to me like the hairspring is out of position, perhaps caught on something beneath the adjustment levers. It should be a nice concentric nautilus shape... the photo shows something else.

Can you help tp point out which is the regulator lever on the movement please?

At least this will good for my learning.

Thanks.

Some additional help...

The lever in your picture is the correct one for this model of movement.

Moving this lever will vary how fast or slow the watch runs. Just

becasue it's the correct lever on this movement, doesn't mean it's the

correct one on all movements, some are the opposite to this one and have

the stud arm on the inside. The 2892A2 is opposite to this model.

This arm is the regulator arm, and the way to tell which one is the

regulator arm is as follows:

look at the hairspring on the balance, where the hairspring ends - this

is the stud arm. You never move the stud arm as this affects the beat of

the watch, and to adjust the beat, you need a watch analyzer.

The arm that the hairspring passes through, is the regulator one. The

danger in moving this arm is the risk of touching and damaging the

hairspring. The only way to avoid this is to have loupe so you can see

what your doing.

If the regulator arm is at the most negative adjustment, and the watch

still runs fast, then it's a sign that the movement is dry and needs to

be serviced, cleaned and oiled. A dry movement has more friction and

this means the balance swings less, smaller swings equal faster rate...

RG

I did exactly what nanuq explained (in this post) a few months ago on a watch that could not be set just using the regulator arm. I knew I was in dangerous teritory but went ahead anyway.

I also looked at the direction of the coil and used Nanuq's explanation in making a small movement adjustment. Once I did that, I was able to successfully set the timing with the regulator arm so the logic must have been correct. I would not do this on an expensive watch and considered myself lucky on this try.

Usil

Edited by Usil