When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iditarod Invitational - Alaska Ultrasport 2009

Nanuq

The competitors hit the trail for the Ultrasport 350 this weekend. Trail conditions are terrible, with tracking reports showing leaders averaging 0.7 mph -- 2 miles in 2 hours 50 minutes. As they approached Rainy Pass conditions deteriorated, and there are reports of TEN FEET of fresh snow on the trail.

My buddy Pete holds the record for fastest biker in the Ultrasport and the Iditarod. This year he's trying it on XC skis, attempting to hold the record in both disciplines. He's also not stopping in McGrath, so he intends to be the first XC skier ever to make it to Nome.

That's 1,100 miles on XC skis, pulling a pulk, in snow up to ten feet deep. :shock:

The man is the kindest gent you'd ever meet, and an absolute animal at the same time. In last year's Iditarod he broke the pedals off his bike, had to wait for a plane to bring him new pedals while the rest of the group got ahead of him, caught the flu, fixed his bike and caught the group while barfing his guts out, broke ANOTHER pedal off, waited for another small plane to bring him another pedal, caught and passed the group again, and won the race to Nome. That included 150 miles of waist deep snow. :o

Here's the start out at Knik Lake, and a shot of Pete:

start_ultrasport_2009.JPG

pete_ultrasport.jpg

My kind of guy - Go get em' Pete

I don't know if you recall but last summer during a 24-hour race here, a girl RAN INTO a brown bear on her bike. He tore her up very badly, and Pete was the first one on the scene, reaching her about 1:30AM. He pulled Petra back onto the trail, and then carefully carried her into a stand of cottonwood trees for a little protection; he had no idea if the bear was still around. He held her in his lap and comforted her as he called 911 dispatchers. I've heard the tape and he was sensitive and compassionate, very likely saving her life while soaking in her blood and remaining calm for her sake, while wondering where the bear was.

Yeah, he's that kind of guy. Go get 'em Pete.

Results are pouring in, the first five men into McGrath are 4 bikers and Pete. Most racers will stop at McGrath (350 miles) but Pete plans to finish in Nome.

Watch the results here

Looks like Pete is the smart one here, taking an opportunity to rehydrate before skiing on! :tu:

racers%20in%20mcGrath%20026.JPG