When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need some help from Omega fans who know their brand

Guest asim

I saw this watch in the master catalogue and want to know on which original it was based on. Or at least the history of this specific watch. Their website doesn't give me a clue.

Omega-516-53-39-50-02-001.jpg

that's their ref:516.53.39.50.02.001

many thanks

asim

That watch was released at the 2008 Baselworld show as part of their limited Museum Collection.

The back of the watch has a 1949 date stamping on it as pictured below:

racend_back.jpg

Official details are:

Model No: 516.53.39.50.02.001

Movement: Manual-winding chronograph

with: Co-Axial Escapement, Column wheel chronograph mechanism, Omega free sprung-balance

Calibre: Omega Calibre 3201. 55 hours power reserve

Metal: 18ct Rose Gold

Water Resistance: 100m

Case Size: 39mm, Omega vintage logo embossed on crown. Polished clasped 18ct Rose Gold caseback with special Museaum engraving and limited edition number

Crystal: Domed anti reflective scratch resistant sapphire crystal

Dial Options: Creamed opaline silver dial with opaline silver recorders, Diamond polished applied 18 Ct 4N rose gold vintage Omega logo, facetted indexes and 12H hour-marker, Pulsometer (red) and tachymeter (blue) tracks transferred on dial

Strap/Bracelet: Brown Alligator strap

Box: Special Omega Museum Collection presentation box

WHAT'S IT ABOUT?

It's a tribute to 1949 obviously when Omega introduced the Racend Timer. As its name implies, it was a "Race End Timer" and was the first photo finish camera ever that allowed the capture of group finishes at the end of the line.

It is not based on any historical watch...but is just a nicely RG finished Speedmaster, essentially. The movement is the same movement used in the 50th Anniversary Speedmasters. The 3801 (manual) is essentially a stripped down caliber 3313 (auto) from what I've read, and will no longer be made. Both are based on the Piguet 1285 ebauche.

Newer watches will be based on their newer 8500/8501 calibers (yes, as in the Hour Vision).

The dial includes Tach markings as expected per Speedmasters and in accordance to timing "pedigree"...but also features a Pulsemeter which, in combination with the chronograph seconds hand, allows for accurate pulse measurements to be taken...which I suppose for the marketing folks, was put there to measure of the pulse of the winner...or the person watching the race if they had a lot of money riding on the finish. :D

If you're wondering how the pulsemeter works...essentially...each are calibrated to a certain fixed value...in this case 30 beats. Run the chrono and count 30 beats. Where the chrono second hand stops...is how many per minute. You can read more instructions on using these watches in my guide to "How to Win Friends and Influence Beautiful Women" linked in my signature. ;)

Found some info on the watch - Omega Museum Watch

Omega Museum Collection No8 Racend Timer

Model number: 516.53.39.50.02.001

**LIMITED EDITION**

Model No: 516.53.39.50.02.001

Movement: Manual-winding chronograph with:Co-Axial Escapement, Column wheel chronograph mechanism, Omega free sprung-balance

Calibre: Omega Calibre 3201. 55 hours power reserve

Metal: 18ct Rose Gold

Water Resistance: 100m

Case Size: 39mm, Omega vintage logo embossed on crown. Polished clasped 18ct Rose Gold caseback with special Museaum engraving and limited edition number

Crystal: Domed anti reflective scratch resistant sapphire crystal

Dial Options: Creamed opaline silver dial with opaline silver recorders

Diamond polished applied 18 Ct 4N rose gold vintage Omega logo, facetted indexes and 12H hour-marker

Pulsometer (red) and tachymeter (blue) tracks transferred on dial

Strap/Bracelet: Brown Alligator strap

Box: Special Omega Museum Collection presentation box

It will run ya 10 500,00

Toad you are a legend thanks very much for the information. Doubt anyone would buy the watch based on the Pulsemeter :p but that time-piece looks stunning IMO!!!

And Triplehd, 10500Euros? That's it?? :p

thanks again