When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FYI -- good deal on Horotec screwdriver set!

stilty

Indeed, that is not too shabby a price for that set.

Gotta ask why someone from Cairo is selling at that price, when everyone else is far dearer?

Hope it is not a replica set, or worse still, goods never arrive.

Hopefully it is just the pessimist in me.

Offshore

Almost certainly, these are knock-offs. This guy also sells a hand puller, which is labeled "Bergeon", for $3.99...

Can't disagree with that re the hand puller.

It is a bloody small world we live in.

I was just checking all the other items this guy has, (there are a lot of qtz movements which I use at very good pricing)

Here in Oz I deal with a local watchmaker, who I remembered said he was getting some stuff from his BIL in Cairo.

So I gave him a call....and Bingo! same guy!!!! My man confirmed that some of those tool items are indeed copies.

However he has a demag there, which is almost certainly the Etic, and it's a great price.

And a lot of other stuff is very well priced as well. The Horotec stuff is genuine!!!!! (I'm told)

Worth a browse through his store, and try to sort out what is gen from what is rep.

Maybe just ask him upfront, and see what answers come back.

Offshore

PS -that price on the gold 2834/2 is not too shabby either.

Can't disagree with that re the hand puller.

It is a bloody small world we live in.

I was just checking all the other items this guy has, (there are a lot of qtz movements which I use at very good pricing)

Here in Oz I deal with a local watchmaker, who I remembered said he was getting some stuff from his BIL in Cairo.

So I gave him a call....and Bingo! same guy!!!! My man confirmed that some of those tool items are indeed copies.

However he has a demag there, which is almost certainly the Etic, and it's a great price.

And a lot of other stuff is very well priced as well. The Horotec stuff is genuine!!!!! (I'm told)

Worth a browse through his store, and try to sort out what is gen from what is rep.

Maybe just ask him upfront, and see what answers come back.

Offshore

PS -that price on the gold 2834/2 is not too shabby either.

Amazing... bloody small world indeed. thanks so much for the wonderful advice, offshore!

He has another Carousel set of Horotec drivers for $199....that sounds more like it.

Yes, and just like Bergeon, you pay dearly for the carousel itself. I have the Bergeon 3044, and I know a lot of the cost was the carousel and spare blades. I'm tempted to replace just the screwdrivers with the new rubber grip ones they have out, and buying them without any stand will make it almost worthwhile.

That being said, the March sale flyer from my local supplier has the Bergeon set of 9 screwdrivers with a rotating stand for $90CDN.

@Krusty,

Think you may find the Horotecs are worth the extra. Especially the blades!

I run Bergeons, with Horotec blades, as well as a set of Horotec. (which were a lot dearer than these.)

Find the Bergeons to be a bit on the small side for my big hands, and I like the anti roll tops on the Horotecs.

I haven't yet seen the new rubber Bergeons, although the guys on the gen forums have been speaking very well about them.

The later blades from Bergeon are crap IMHO.

Just had another chat with my man here.

He tells me this guy has an ETA and Horotec account, so all that stuff would be kosher.

(Or as kosher as you can get with ETA :rolleyes: )

Looks like he names the Brand in his spiel if it is gen, (as he didn't name Bergeon in the hand puller adv)(although he didn't say the demag was Etic either!!)

My guy here, is going to get me a few items from him.

From what I am told, he is not carrying large stocks, so his prices may jump around a bit due to exchange rate variations.

Offshore

Guest avitt
Yes, and just like Bergeon, you pay dearly for the carousel itself. I have the Bergeon 3044, and I know a lot of the cost was the carousel and spare blades. I'm tempted to replace just the screwdrivers with the new rubber grip ones they have out, and buying them without any stand will make it almost worthwhile.

We think alike, KB...

I just picked these up last month:

img4928.jpg

...A full set of Bergeon 6899's, complete with replacement blades. By foregoing the stand, and buying these as individual pieces, I was able to buy them for about $100 from watchool.co.uk. (However, I just noticed that they've raised their individual screwdriver prices by about 40%...They must have caught on to me ;) )

Now, all I have to do is make a little stand...

I doubt these are knock-offs. The price is low, but not too far away from the deal I got in 8/08:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/received-9-piece...&hl=horotec

The price at the place I bought mine has gone up to $100, but I got them for $90

If mine are knock-offs, the quality is incredible. I've used them a lot and have yet to replace a blade. The ball bearings are nice and smooth too.

Like I said in the linked post, my box is a little different than the picture, but I'm 99.999% sure they are the real deal (mine, I mean). My box and set look exactly like the set in this post by stilty:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Horotech-vs-Berg...&hl=horotec

We think alike, KB...

I just picked these up last month:

img4928.jpg

...A full set of Bergeon 6899's, complete with replacement blades. By foregoing the stand, and buying these as individual pieces, I was able to buy them for about $100 from watchool.co.uk. (However, I just noticed that they've raised their individual screwdriver prices by about 40%...They must have caught on to me ;) )

Now, all I have to do is make a little stand...

Man, sweet-looking tools like that make me glad I have opposable thumbs!

Guest avitt

They haven't seen very heavy use yet, Offshore.

The reviews that I've read call these stainless steel blades a departure from Bergeon's recent trend (brittle blades, which are easily damaged). They are compared with Horotec's quality.

If I hadn't just invested in the Bergeons, I would definitely be giving this eBay set a try...and I may still ;)

I have bought a bit of stuff from a guy in Bangkok. Bit of a pain as his payment is by T/T, but some good numbers.

http://www.rianthong.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=72

Have a look thru his screwdriver section.

This is a quote I received today

Item # 3001 = USD$89.50

Item # 3002 = USD$124.50

Item # 3004 = USD$288.00

Item # 3005 = USD$82.00

Item # 3006 = USD$117.00

Item # 3010 = USD$97.00

Item # 3012 = USD$115.50

Item # 3013 = USD$29.00

Item # 3015 = USD$10.50

Item # 3016 = USD$10.50

Item # 3029 = USD$6.50 (only stand, exc.screw drivers)

We can delivery your purchase order by EMS parcel. Freight charges about

USD $35.00 (depend to the weight of the parcel) It will take about 3-4 days to

receiving the parcel.

So item3016, is the new Bergeon driver!

A set of 9 (if you need that many) would run $94.50 and his small revolving stand is $6.50.

The other set which is not bad for someone not wanting the cream, is the #3013, AF set/5 in plastic pack @ $29.

Have used these, and they are quite acceptable.

So more fuel for the fire!

Offshore