When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DG3804B - Substitute Movement for Asian GMTs

Hi folks. I was looking at the Somal Canada parts list, and they have a couple movements available...well...maybe a couple hundred...but one that stuck out was the DG3804B listed in their Asian mechanical section.

It's listed as a 4th hand second timezone movement and has the following hand specs:

DG-3804B: 4th GMT hand, date

Diameter: 26.00mm

Thickness: 5.97mm

Handsize: 100/150/200/17 Ofrei has the hand size listed as the same

Now, the DG 2813 has the following details:

DG-2813: 3 hand, date

Diameter:25.60mm

Thickness: 5.87mm

Handsize: 155/100/17

Ofrei hand size: 1.00/1.50/0.17

A 2836 has the following specs:

ETA 2836: 3 hand, day date

Diameter: 25.60mm

Thickness: 5.05mm

Handsize: 150/90/45

My question is, by all accounts, the assembly of the GMT modded movements seems to be crap according to The Zigmeister. BT has indicated his experience with WHS ETA modded GMT movements has been good (from a reliability perspective as opposed to The Zigmeister's experience trying to service one).

I'm wondering about going the cheap Asian GMT route (e.g. Rolex GMT IIc)...and if encountering movement failure...just swapping in a DG3804B given they are only $20 CDN!!!

The 3 main hand sizes look like they will fit the DG2813...which seems to be the standard for Asian movement hand sizes...but the 4th GMT hand at "200" is a mystery to me.

Is the 200 size the same size GMT hand for an ICHS ETA GMT hand? How about a gen Rolex GMT hand? How about the Asian movement GMT hand?

Does anybody know if this movement given the dimensions will fit where the Asian GMT fits? I seem to recall there being cheap <$150 Asian 21j movement watches with GMT hand that had the same cases as the ETA versions.

I know of this older thread here:

DG3804 thread

Thanks for any info.

Toad,

My parts supplier lists the hand stack as 200/152/100/17, which sort of makes more sense.

He has hand sets for them.

Shoot me a PM if you need more info.

Offshore

Thanks A!! I'm in the info gathering stages here. I have to find out who's carrying decent quality cheap Asian GMT IIcs, or bases for a 1655 or something I can make a decent lower cost 6542...so many dreams...where to begin. I'm not in the league to think of modding a gen movement!! Yikes.

I appreciate the offer. I may be contacting you yet!!

I could never find a suitable hands or dials for the one i had and was not overly happy with it. would be interested in see what is available hand wise

I have a query about that too. If the Asian movement fits the same sized hands as those used in the cheaper reps...that will work...except when trying to find good GMT hand options...then it becomes tricky...and possibly a fusion of parts from somewhere!!