When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little review of IWC Top Gun ceramic Ref. 378901

Cercha

Good fellow, here we present one of the best rep that have passed through my hands, and without doubt the best replica of an IWC watch that so far:

IWC Top Gun ceramic ref. 378901

dsc01372.jpg

First of all I would like to thank Torobravo no doubt that He's one of the best dealers in the market.

Now a photo with flash to enable appraisal of the dial.

dsc01371.jpg

Another photo profile where you can see how well it is finished the case of the watch, you will see it in the rest of the photos...

dsc01373.jpg

Some photos of the dial, where you can see different aspects of it, including a window of dates simulating aircraft altimeter, and the counterweight of the central spire in the form of jet ...

dsc01379.jpg

dsc01378.jpg

dsc01380.jpg

dsc01381.jpg

A photo where you can see the magnificent AR brings the watch.

dsc01389.jpg

Turning to the outside of the watch, we find the crown and chrono pushers, in titanium.

dsc01374.jpg

And details of the crown with the engraving of this classic brand, which also shows the cutting of the crown ...

dsc01375.jpg

One of the surprises that I have brought this model has been to find a screw crown, like a "diver"

dsc01390.jpg

dsc01391.jpg

On the back of the clock you can see the engraving that identifies this model with a realization that to be an accurate rep ...

dsc01377.jpg

One wristshot of the engraving...

dsc01387.jpg

Turning to the bottom of the watch, we can see the anagram of the "U.S. Navy Fighter Weapons School" over titanium lid.

dsc01384.jpg

dsc01385.jpg

Regarding the strap, say that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, I'm thinking about catching the Gen, initially quite stiff but with the passing of days, it was molded perfectly to my wrist.

dsc01383.jpg

Titanium buckle

dsc01382.jpg

And one picture where you can appreciate the large gap between the case and the strap, I believe that the gen is similar or the case will be slightly thicker gen and have the feeling that the gap is somewhat smaller ...

dsc01388.jpg

The size of the model is 44mm in this photo you can see which gives the feeling of having no larger bezel. Compared with the Breitling Skyland.

dsc01396.jpg

And finally a wristshot...

dsc01386.jpg

Sorry also for the amount of dust that is on the clock, but it attracts dust like a honey to the bears.

I hope not to have so boring with the pictures and sorry for my poor English.

Thanks again Torobravo for giving me the opportunity to have this preciousness.

It is a very nice watch, in fact it's one of my favorites. But there is one seriously big problem: the silly silly TopGun logo. Yeah I know that this is how the real thing is, but this is really corny. Just my opinion (which doesn't matter at all). I'd buy the watch because I love it, but that logo keeps me from doing so.

It is a very nice watch, in fact it's one of my favorites. But there is one seriously big problem: the silly silly TopGun logo. Yeah I know that this is how the real thing is, but this is really corny. Just my opinion (which doesn't matter at all). I'd buy the watch because I love it, but that logo keeps me from doing so.

I agree. I could tolerate it on the caseback as you don't see that...but the logo on the side bugs me. This is where we need a fantasy, less accurate version that doesn't have the logo at all.

Otherwise...I love everything else about it...except the strap. I'm not sure what I would choose...but I'm not a fan of the strap either. I don't like cloth straps...they get too stinky after wear if you sweat.

I agree. I could tolerate it on the caseback as you don't see that...but the logo on the side bugs me. This is where we need a fantasy, less accurate version that doesn't have the logo at all.

Otherwise...I love everything else about it...except the strap. I'm not sure what I would choose...but I'm not a fan of the strap either. I don't like cloth straps...they get too stinky after wear if you sweat.

so many have commented on the logo, i know it's tacky, but that is why i'd never buy the gen which is far too highly priced anyway.

better priced than the gen huh? :p

i am considering this one as well.

:) well, Ideally I would like to get this and the Galapagos! however, that would not be possible and between the two, I would rather go gen with the galapagos!

Having just seen the gen again at the IWC Boutique, the pics here has shown how good this rep is!

:) well, Ideally I would like to get this and the Galapagos! however, that would not be possible and between the two, I would rather go gen with the galapagos!

Having just seen the gen again at the IWC Boutique, the pics here has shown how good this rep is!

you have to get the Gala gen, no question on that!!!!!

as for the TP, yes it is amazing. i would just get the subdials for the chrono modded with the "grey"ish rind around them. all that is required is paint that matches with the gen. i will try and do this myself, we have the gen at my AD right now.

you have to get the Gala gen, no question on that!!!!!

as for the TP, yes it is amazing. i would just get the subdials for the chrono modded with the "grey"ish rind around them. all that is required is paint that matches with the gen. i will try and do this myself, we have the gen at my AD right now.

Hey asim, you work at IWC right? I honestly do not see any grey sub-dial when I was at the boutique. Here is a pic of it on sale as well and it looks to be with no grey sub-dial.

GenTopGun.jpg

there is, if you look at your pic, there is a fine high gloss greyish circle around the 12 and 6 subdials. you can see it better at the 6 dial in your case. then compare with the rep pic at the top.

there is, if you look at your pic, there is a fine high gloss greyish circle around the 12 and 6 subdials. you can see it better at the 6 dial in your case. then compare with the rep pic at the top.

I agree there is a high gloss circle around the sub-dials but I actually think its more black than grey. :)

If you could get some close-up pics, would really appreciate it!

I agree there is a high gloss circle around the sub-dials but I actually think its more black than grey. :)

If you could get some close-up pics, would really appreciate it!

ill do that tonight.

ill pm you some pics too.

regards,

asim

Did anyone else notice that this rep has the correct internal thread crown & tube? I wonder if a set might be obtained in order to retrofit a 3717?

funny you mention that. i was thinking the same. that would make the rep ultimate beyond belief... i think you gave the gen dial as well don't you?

asim

..and movement, and crystal, and hands. :D

haha nice one buddy!!! concepta and mwee i presume :p

i hope you can get the tube, it would make yours a gen practically.

Asim

haha nice one buddy!!! concepta and mwee i presume :p

i hope you can get the tube, it would make yours a gen practically.

Asim

Yes, those 2 fine members came through and sent me some great parts. If mwee is following this thread, the crystal arrived this morning! Thanks!

The old Aquatimer has the internal thread tube, but with the wrong crown. The apparent misalignment of the tube on the Top Gun (or lack of a tube?) indicated above bears further investigation.

here is a closer look at the sub dial issue.

a small issue may I add (fixable)

here is the rep, and if you look at the 12 and 6 sub dials, there is no grey ring:

IWC-2009-2-21-01-02.jpg

Then the gen:

iw0583P-top-gun-dial.jpg