When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT 2386 Stem issue Help please

StormTooper4

Good Folks of RWG, I am hoping that someone can help me out here please.

I have a GMT II C CHS, and its been working just fine and dandy up until a few weeks ago.

I was adjusting it and decided that it would be better to wind it through a few cycles rather than change the date and GMT hand and whilst doing so I felt the Stem loosen from the crown DOH!!!

So off I trot to my

Without good, clear (macro) pics of both stems, it is difficult to know what you started with & what you got. Or, put another way, whether you had a gen ETA 2836 stem in the 1st place or whether the stem your watchsmith got is the correct stem for a 2836.

So, in this case, here is what I would do. As long as the movement in your watch is a 2836 (there are a handful of variations on the base 2836, so look on the base plate, below the balance wheel for the ETA symbol & note the exact movement number, whether it is 2836 or 2836-2 or whatever), go to julesborel.com & order the stem from them. I believe the 1 you need is part number 401/2802-2.4200. However, ETA offers a few different stems (different thread pitches, lengths, etc) & stems are only 5 or 6 dollars, so you might order 1 (or 2, in case your watchmaker damages 1) of each type.

Good Folks of RWG, I am hoping that someone can help me out here please.

I felt the Stem loosen from the crown DOH!!!

he then tells me that the OLD stem was too short and when screwed in correctly into the crown it no longer works.

ST4

Put a dab of 2-part epoxy on the original stem and don't screw it in all the way. Just screw it in to the correct length. Let it harden and you're good to go.