When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing the bezel assembly, SMP Chrono

SMP Chrono

Howdy!

What is the safest way of removing the bezel assembly from a (Rep, obviously *g*) Seamaster Pro Chronograph 2599.80.00? I am asking b/c I am right now purchasing a Gen bezel assembly from a fellow member. Thanks as usual for any answer ;-)

Ah and btw: just got it back from the watchmaker... can't believe what a difference a Gen crown/tube assembly makes, both in screwing/threads quality and the feel when it's unscrewed - the Rep one always felt wobbly from the very first minute on... this one's solid as a rock. And a gen date disc is also VERY nice to have ;-)

Edited by Jaguar-XJR

There are bezel removal tools.. but due to the way rep bezels mostly fit it can be very hard to do. Also remember the genuine one might not fit. its far from guaranteed.

The genuine bezel fits perfectly on my Omega SMP chronograph replica, this watch here: http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=197

As for other Omegas, I could not say if a gen bezel would fit. However, there are other members who have had good results with the above watch ^_^

I bought my SMP Chrono with gen bezel from Steppen. I believe that he had the bezels swapped by The Zigmeister so it definately CAN be done. Might be worth having a word with The Zigmeister... ;)

Thanks for finally some input ;-) But, mhh that's about what I feared to hear. Of course I don't wanna destroy my SMP Chrono after already serving me so long, and after paying the watchmaker so much for service/modding. It never worked that perfect as it does now out of the box. However - sounds like I have to bring it there once again. Really hoped I could fit that bezel myself. Aww $h1t. :(

As for the fitting itself, from what I learned here, the SMP Chrono will accept a Gen bezel w/o any further work/modding whatsoever, while the 3-hand SMP won't. Can at least that proven to be true? ;-)

Edited by Jaguar-XJR

If the watch you have is the exact same rep as mine and the one I linked too, then you should be good to go I would say.

Yay, mine looks the same. I bought it in January of 2007. When did you buy yours? Did it also have the wrong date font and misaligned bezel insert from the factory?

Unless the rep factory has altered the case design on more recent Omega SMP's....

What surely would pi$s me off... Thanks anyway!

Yay, mine looks the same. I bought it in January of 2007. When did you buy yours? Did it also have the wrong date font and misaligned bezel insert from the factory?

What surely would pi$s me off... Thanks anyway!

Mine is an early batch too, and it fits nice and tight and has a satisfying click ^_^

Mine is an early batch too, and it fits nice and tight and has a satisfying click ^_^

Yea, my Rep bezel already sounds the same :) The reason why I want to exchange it to a Gen bezel is twofold: 1) the notorious Rep pearl, and 2) the fact, that both the bezel and the insert are scratched due to a bike accident (mud)... and there's no fu

I should really wear this watch much more, with all the upgrades it pretty much looks and feels genuine! B)

dsc00977ji3.th.jpgdsc00979tj8.th.jpgdsc00981ma9.th.jpg

Gen hands, bezel, Swiss 7750 and most important genuine bracelet! The rep bracelet is really, really poor, I strongly suggest you try and find a different strap/bracelet, as the rep bracelet is a massive tell.....

Cheers! :D

I should really wear this watch much more, with all the upgrades it pretty much looks and feels genuine! B)

Gen hands, bezel, Swiss 7750 and most important genuine bracelet! The rep bracelet is really, really poor, I strongly suggest you try and find a different strap/bracelet, as the rep bracelet is a massive tell.....

Well, if there's a bracelet crossing my way I for sure will catch it :) What annoys me most is the use of screws instead of pins... I don't find its overall look too bad. Gen 7750 is something I certainly won't do... my watchmaker was quite embarrassed about the quality of the Chinese 7750 - after a complete service including a new Gen mainspring and Gen date switch wheel (Rep one was broken from the factory) it runs like a charm and about 3 seconds a day fast. But maybe I am one of the lucky persons that haven't had any problems whatsoever with the Chinese 7750. There are some, from what I learned.

I also had him change the crown/tube assembly to Gen parts - he made a small custom brass tube on his lathe to allow the Gen tube be press fitted like with a Gen watch. No epoxy here :) Unbelievably good feeling when it is unscrewed - solid as a rock compared to the loose fit of the Rep crown/tube assembly... and screwing it down is like having sex now (well, sort of *g*) And of course I let him throw out the ugly date wheel...

When I look at your watch, it really screams "Gen" - thanks a lot to the bezel, of course, which both lacks the Rep's ugly pearl and violetish blue color. Great watch you own, doesn't deserve sitting in the drawer, of course!

Edited by Jaguar-XJR

Well, if there's a bracelet crossing my way I for sure will catch it :) What annoys me most is the use of screws instead of pins... Gen 7750 is something I certainly won't do... my watchmaker was quite embarrassed about the quality of the Chinese 7750 - after a complete service including a new Gen mainspring and Gen date switch wheel (Rep one was broken from the factory) it runs like a charm and about 3 seconds a day fast. But maybe I am one of the lucky persons that haven't had any problems whatsoever with the Chinese 7750. There are some, from what I learned.

I also had him change the crown/tube assembly to Gen parts - he made a small custom brass tube on his lathe to allow the Gen tube be press fitted like with a Gen watch. No epoxy here :) Unbelievably good feeling when it is unscrewed - solid as a rock compared to the loose fit of the Rep crown/tube assembly... and screwing it down is like having sex now (well, sort of *g*) And of course I let him throw out the ugly date wheel... when I look at your watch, it really screams "Gen" - thanks a lot to the bezel, of course, which both lacks the ugly pearl and the violetish blue of the Rep one. Great watch you own, doesn't deserve sitting in the drawer, of course!

Truly is an awesome looking watch. Enjoy it you lucky man. I have tried to order one from PT and he said factory is out of stock and doesn't know when they will be available. You may just have an appreciable classic there!

Yeah, I will put it on my wrist soon, but my PAM036 is glued on at the moment! :)

The rep bracelet has screws yes, but the bracelet itself is also very poor, and cheaply made. It becomes clearly apparent when you handle the gen bracelet how much nicer it is. I would rather wear the rep on blue leather or rubber, than use the rep steel bracelet ;)

Cheers! B)

Truly is an awesome looking watch. Enjoy it you lucky man. I have tried to order one from PT and he said factory is out of stock and doesn't know when they will be available. You may just have an appreciable classic there!

Did you try the other trusted dealers? Hopefully they didn't stop making them... It is still truly one of the best reps out of the box, and in 2007, when I bought it, probably was the best. And modding is fun when Gen parts fit without huge efforts :) Before I bought it I thought modding a Rep watch was ill... now I obviously changed my mind, thanks to this b1tch :)

I hope you'll be able to get one of those soon!

Edited by Jaguar-XJR

That's a current picture of my SMP Chrono. Now you see why I need to swap the entire bezel :) As for the bracelet... a friend of mine owns an older Gen SMP non-chrono - his bracelet has much more travel in its parts and feels overall "sloppier" than my Rep bracelet - probably the Rep factory made some changes to the bracelet on later shipments?

post-5077-1238161002_thumb.jpg

Lucky me, the case itself didn't suffer from the crash...

Edited by Jaguar-XJR

That's a current picture of my SMP Chrono. Now you see why I need to swap the entire bezel :) As for the bracelet... a friend of mine owns an older Gen SMP non-chrono - his bracelet has much more travel in its parts and feels overall "sloppier" than my Rep bracelet - probably the Rep factory made some changes to the bracelet on later shipments?

The non chrongraph SMP bracelet is not the same as the chonograph version, the chono version is much more substantial, thicker too, with larger end links, with a slightly different finish ;)

The non chrongraph SMP bracelet is not the same as the chonograph version, the chono version is much more substantial, thicker too, with larger end links, with a slightly different finish ;)

Damn, now u got me... Originally, I didn't want to do any further modding... but now I am already looking around for a used bracelet... only that it seems as hard to find as a bezel :-(

dsc00977ji3.th.jpgdsc00979tj8.th.jpgdsc00981ma9.th.jpg

Cheers! :D

Real nice...should be getting loads of wrist time!

The bezel can be removed without a bezel removal tool but it takes some careful work. I used a case back removal knife (cost about $6.00) as it had a very thick blade and lifted the bezel up quite nicely. The only place you can really get under the bezel is between the lugs, get the tip of the knife under the bezel and gently lift. Next, turn the bezel and you will feel the bezel continue to lift from the case as the opening in the "C" shaped spring gets closer to where your knife tip is. Just keep turning that bezel and it will just pop off. Doing it this way I did not even bend the crappy rep bezel. Now I am just waiting for my Chief crystal to get back from the current run. My gen bracelet and gen 2008 dial are already installed and ready to go!

The bezel can be removed without a bezel removal tool but it takes some careful work. I used a case back removal knife (cost about $6.00) as it had a very thick blade and lifted the bezel up quite nicely. The only place you can really get under the bezel is between the lugs, get the tip of the knife under the bezel and gently lift. Next, turn the bezel and you will feel the bezel continue to lift from the case as the opening in the "C" shaped spring gets closer to where your knife tip is. Just keep turning that bezel and it will just pop off. Doing it this way I did not even bend the crappy rep bezel.

Thanks! You actually made me doing this by myself... and what should I say, it worked! It is a real [censored] to remove, but I managed to do so without doing any damage to the watch. The Gen bezel snapped on like a charm, what convinces me that it is only due to the Rep bezel's poor quality that it comes off so hard. If this were a Gen watch, I would have shat my pants!

The Gen bezel does not only look better (the perl is centered, its frame is half as narrow, it even got a tiny clear cover over the lume), but even the snapping when turning it around sounds better :) Also it is clearly machined in a much better way than the Rep bezel.

Thanks for all who contributed - you know who you are :)

post-5077-1238849120_thumb.jpg

Thanks! You actually made me doing this by myself... and what should I say, it worked! It is a real [censored] to remove, but I managed to do so without doing any damage to the watch. The Gen bezel snapped on like a charm, what convinces me that it is only due to the Rep bezel's poor quality that it comes off so hard. If this were a Gen watch, I would have shat my pants!

The Gen bezel does not only look better (the perl is centered, its frame is half as narrow, it even got a tiny clear cover over the lume), but even the snapping when turning it around sounds better :) Also it is clearly machined in a much better way than the Rep bezel.

Thanks for all who contributed - you know who you are :)

Oliver,

It looks great, well worth the wait I think! Easily the best mod you can do on any omega rep.

All the best, wear it well.

Matt