When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Baselworld time

valerian

Hi guys

It's spring in Switzerland (at least calendar-wise, it's freezing cold still) and where I live everyone gets watch crazy. Basel is trying to outshine itself and you gotta take care not to get trampled down by hordes of eagerly chattering watch professionals from all over the world. :rolleyes:

BaselWorld2009

Needless to say media is quite focused on the watch market which brings all sorts of interesting announcements and statements... Today Baselworld officially released a Press communique about falsifications. Their speaker is cited that it's not as it used to be (hear, hear!): replicas have become so good it's "crazy". And whereas a few years ago there where only a few brands repped today you will find at least twenty (20!) different brands on rep market! :huh:

For german-savvy members:

NZZ-Article

Probably they know a lot better (Swiss watch manufacturers receiving replicas to check authenticity from Swiss customs quite regularly) but won't talk about how bad it is really...

Yours kindly

Valerian

Thanks for the information. It is quite amazing how good these reps are getting. I was showing my Pam 250 to my dentist. He saw it on my wrist and asked me" new watch Mike?" I told him that it was a high end Rep. He was very Impressed. I told him about RWG. He wrote it down and said that he would be checking it out. I could tell by his face that he would buy one of these in a heart beat. Made my day. Things like this never happen to me :D Mike

A whole 20 brands huh. Well, you have to think that they full well know what is going on in the rep world, there is no way that they cannot and to admit just how many brands are repped, and how good they are getting would be a big embarassment to them. Either that, or they are in denial. Also, remember that it is just not watches alone, just about every high end name in fashion accessories are repped.

Things like this never happen to me

But it did ;)

As to the topic, it's worrying that there are press releases about how good reps have become coming from Basel World.

It makes one wonder if they are about to ramp up attempts to get to the manufactures or at least to stop the flow into the western world.

Ken

It makes one wonder if they are about to ramp up attempts to get to the manufactures or at least to stop the flow into the western world.

Thanks for your thoughts, Ken. The Baselworld speaker actually states that there is not much the gen brands can do about the rep market. He calls upon the Chinese government to do their duty. He admits that there are extremely professional watchmakers in China, also swiss manufactured machinery.

Another thought: Will the world economic crisis force the Chinese officials to collaborate more with western states in terms of copyright enforcement? Until now the Chinese could pretty much act as they wanted having the growth rate they had. That's obviously about to change, Chinese middle class is for the first time confronted with an actual decline in living standards.

Your comments are appreciated.

Yours kindly

Valerian

I can see where your thoughts are coming from Valerian but I tend to think that if anyone is going to toe the line in this economic crisis it will be us in the western world, China (followed very closely by India) are going to be in a powerful position when it comes to recession busting commodities.

Ken

Thanks for your thoughts, Ken. The Baselworld speaker actually states that there is not much the gen brands can do about the rep market. He calls upon the Chinese government to do their duty. He admits that there are extremely professional watchmakers in China, also swiss manufactured machinery.

Why would they care?.

A rep buyer is a rep buyer,and hopefully will become a gen buyer,good advertising is all reps are.

You know you are wearing a rep,and even proudly letting others know?,pride will take over at some point,they know that.

I can see where your thoughts are coming from Valerian but I tend to think that if anyone is going to toe the line in this economic crisis it will be us in the western world, China (followed very closely by India) are going to be in a powerful position when it comes to recession busting commodities.

I quite agree with what you say: What we see at the moment in world economy could end up as a new balance in wealth and power between West and East (and not so much North and South, which is due as well).

But on short terms I think that Chinese government feels quite some pressure from their "citizens" (I doubt the adequacy of this term given the civil rights of the Chinese people) as they suffer a radical decline in material comfort for the first time in modern chinese history. This could (I admit it doesn't have to) force Official China to collaborate more with Western economies which is (from a very re-focused point of view) probably bad news for our community. The flipside could be a process towards more democratic structures which I would readily prefer to buying our beloved reps.

Forgive me if I'm being unclear English not being my daily language.

Yours kindly

Valerian

But it did ;)

As to the topic, it's worrying that there are press releases about how good reps have become coming from Basel World.

Ken

Indeed it did. I guess there are a lot of people that would buy a nice rep, but they may not admit it ;)