When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm back...and a bit concerned.

got-it

They are fully aware of who we are, what we are as the information from RWG is too easy to obtain, but we are small fry in the big picture which is why we are allowed to so blissfully carry on as trust me, if otherwise we would be outta here and not even a please or thank you.

A small fry in the big picture? Only RWG counts 18.650+ members, the majority of us are primarily big fans of the gen articles, although we enjoy our reps. Even if a 1/4 of the members here spend $50 p.a. on reps, the rep industry would make roughly a 1/4 of a million $ p.a.

If due to the awareness this forum creates, 1.000 of RWG members buy one gen watch worth of $700(minimum?) in every two years, then the gen industry would make at least $350.000 p.a. out of RWG!!!

We are a big (and considerable...) GEN bunch of watch enthusiasts. Aren't we??? :greedy:

Many years ago whilst working for an AD, the managers shop rule was that anyone came in flouting a rep, we had the copyright and makers respected rights to basically take the hammer to the watch and turn it into little pieces.

:rofl:

I would love to see the results of an AD actually foolish enough to try confiscating someone's personal property... Reps are not illegal for a person to own. Yes, taking a rep into an AD is verboten, but people still have rights over their own personal property :D Any AD who tried to confiscate a rep, could wind up facing a theft charge ;)

I just want to make a quick note, many ADs may know that you are wearing a rep, but many, many do not. Your average shop, particularly one that doesn't specialize in watches, has a sales staff that likely has one watch expert with the rest capable of selling to your average joe but unable to tell a Rep from a Gen. This has played out for me a few years ago when I was shopping for an engagement ring, I'd go into a store wearing my rep watch and get comments on the watch from the sales person I was working with, I was always appreciative but never revealed it was a rep. I think that if you're going to an AD and trying to pass it off as a gen its one thing, just to casually wear one while shopping is another thing entirely.

Cheers

Ha! Found myself in a Breitling & AP AD this weekend wearing my B&R rep....woops! My hand went quickly into my overcoat pocket and never left....That's never a fun conversation to have, especially with an AD that knows high-end watches....

personally I think it is unwise to wear a rep when going into an AD, its merely drawing attention to the fact. I agree with the sentiment that manufacturers know about this site and probably use it possibly as a reference source, but I also agree with the fact that some folks would never be a potential customer anyway.

I consider myself a member of this forum for a long time now and I've traded and bought many reps. I've become inactive with the board simply because I haven't been very active with the hobby (gens are keeping me busy). But recently, something was brought to my attention that concerned me a great deal.

I feel like our hobby is becoming more and more well known to the mainstream crowd. Recently, while speaking to a salesman at one of my regularly frequented ADs, I saw someone who obviously bought the rep from one of our dealers, showcasing it off to everyone to see. Granted it was a super rep (it was the concord c1), but this blatant disregard is alarming.

This isn't the only incident that has occurred. I'm a bit worried that this sort of exposure may one day lead to our hobby's doom.

Anyway, just ranting. But it would be nice if we're (especially the newer members) would be more cautious. This hobby should continue it's underground status.

It isn't very main stream. I went to a car show on the weekend and I was one of 3 people I saw wearing a rolex and I believe mine was the only one that probably was a replica.

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes: Many people know of this site as I did for a couple months to be exact....I dont think any one cares ....I say that to say the few who are here and the man many flea markets in all cities selling ....nothing but counterfeit goods......nike shoes...air jordan....not too mention......ladies dunne and brooke purse and many amny others.

I see your point ...but if they you know who is looking for a score ....all they have to do is walk in and shut down and arrest every vendor in the markets of each city making a huge score under the belt of the se so called enforcement agents.

here we are all scatterd over many states and vendors overseas.....nah ....I think we are safe.

but point well taken !! :)

btw......what is AD?????

If anything people who frequent this (and other forums) will be more than well equipped to sniff out replicas. So that they wont get fooled and buy a rep sold as a gen. And knowledge about watches in general is skyhigh on this forum! So if you want to learn, you have come to the right place.

We dont hide that we buy replicas (Exept in the AD shops) AD = Authorized Dealer