When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To fit a 727 ... authentic dial ?

mellus

All aftermarket dials contain a unique (or slightly different) set of mistakes/inaccuracies/problems & this 1 is no exception. Check these out & see if you find something you like better there. If not, get the 1st 1.

Thank you very much for the link, Freddy :) ... I realized, it is not so easy to find an accurate dial for this watch ...

but even better than mine ....

30454684.jpg

I agree with Freddy, but I want to add that the dial you currently have on your 6263 isn't too bad either. It's unique and interesting.

The availibility of dials has improved in the last year, it's pretty amazing. Like Freddy says, none are perfect, but still the selection is pretty good, pick your poison!

You might look for the book "Rolex Daytona, a legend is born". It's out of print, but if you could find a copy it's well worth it. Freddy turned me on to it a 1-1/2 ago or so- a great study of all the models from 6238 thru 16520.

I have a copy of this book too! It is a great reference for the early Daytona watches! Sometimes on the bay they come up for sale for about $150+-

I agree with Freddy, but I want to add that the dial you currently have on your 6263 isn't too bad either. It's unique and interesting.

The availibility of dials has improved in the last year, it's pretty amazing. Like Freddy says, none are perfect, but still the selection is pretty good, pick your poison!

You might look for the book "Rolex Daytona, a legend is born". It's out of print, but if you could find a copy it's well worth it. Freddy turned me on to it a 1-1/2 ago or so- a great study of all the models from 6238 thru 16520.

I have a copy of this book too! It is a great reference for the early Daytona watches! Sometimes on the bay they come up for sale for about $150+-

I looked around for a copy, and found several sites selling them for around 100 euros. I don't have a bookmark, but if I could find it, anyone should be able to..

Here you go: http://www.giardino.it/books/index.htm

Thank you all for your tipps, I bought the book some minutes ago here you can find it .-)

I am not happy with the dial on my watch because of the closed "6" and "9" and the structure of the sub-dial background ...

the ROLEX-sign (crown), "OYSTER" style and "COSMOGRAPH" letters are ok and nearly authentic.

The hands of the sub-dials are wrong too, black, not white; but I found betters ones at Clark, USA, No 400 to fit 727 movements.

I have decided to fit the watch with this dial (thx again for the info, Freddy), the ROLEX-symbol will be eychanged with the one on my old dial, because I think it is better.

davidwong.jpg

davidwong1.jpg

A gen dial for comparsion (NON-OYSTER, but the same) comes here ...

dial6265echt.jpg

When I will have finished my little project, I will show some more pictures.

Thx for discussing and looking :)

Not completely convinced that dial in your last post is genuine. From my meagre analysis, the second (and subsecond) markers are very fine on genuine dials, and quite fat on the fakes. These are fat, but it may be that red on black second markers on the black and white gen dials have fatter markers than the red on white second markers of the white on black dials (by white on black I mean white subdials on a black face).

- edit - the subdial markings are very fine on that though, so you're probably right about it being genuine

I look forward to seeing your completed watch (but not as much as I look forward to seeing _my_ assembled watch if I ever get it from my watchmaker :))

:rolleyes: I am awaiting your pictures ...

... any information now about yours ? :)

I'm sure people have read this before, but I don't mind talking about it.

Mine's all from DW, but I chose the black PN face, and sent the plastic bezel to the watchmaker. I ordered a custom croc strap from Paris, France, and got a pretty nice stainless buckle from Yuki watch. I've kept a very loose eye on eBay for 7835 bracelets, but my hope is the strap will be so damn nice I won't want to bother.

The movement I got from a Seth Thomas chrono, a nice watch - and not quite a Rolex correct movement - so my watchmaker is just putting it in without swapping in the 'Rolex' engraved bridges. That's in the hope that I can turn up a more correct VJ72 in more of a beater case for transplanting later.

Still not sure what is happening about the crown. My watchmaker seems to think he may be able to turn up a triplock 700, but I won't hold my breath on that. I figure a more modern crown is completely acceptable because a Rolex service centre would probably stick one in if they got the chance. Glass and pushers came from cousins.co.uk.

I expect not to see it for at least another month, possibly two, which is not good, because I'm not the most patient person in the world. Although in some ways it's good because I won't have to pay him for a while, and the case, donor watch etc. weren't cheap :)

But rest assured, when I do get it in my greasy paws, there will be photos to be had.

J