When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New PVD Pam project - Help Needed

athan

Hi to all,

I woke up this morning and I decided to wear my brown motorcycle leather jacket.

I really like this jacket but today I felt that something was missing.

A simple looking PVD PAM with a nice brown leather strap on my wrist!

Like the 009.

At that moment the urge for a 009 was so big that I finally decided not to wear this jacket!!!

So, to cut a long story short, I'm going to built one!

I love FGD dials and I was amazed by master The Zigmeister's gen tritium lume application - WOW

http://www.rwg.cc/members/PVD-PAM-latest-F...ial-t92213.html :clap:

Dear fellow members, I need your help:

Which case should I go for?

Is DSN's any good?

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/wat...D%20CASE%20SET/

Are the PVD cases available from our dealers any good or should I go for a nice plain SS case and PVD coat it?

I already have a T-48 SS crown available and a V's CG, should I coat those?

I would kindly appreciate your support.

Athan

PS. the jacket on the picture attached is not the actual item

post-4284-1238502680_thumb.jpg

post-4284-1238504541_thumb.jpg

Nice pair of PVDs.

Nah, they're crap! Look at those skinny crowns and recessed canon pins.

I'll give ya $500 for the pair....

;)

:p

DSN's PVD is the best out of the box PVD available. Now, sending your case off to Rolli or Avitt is a whole different matter.

If you want a 009, I wouldn't use the V CG. Pre-A 009s with Pre-V cases were pretty rare, I believe.

Edited by peepshow

Nah, they're crap! Look at those skinny crowns and recessed canon pins.

I'll give ya $500 for the pair....

Excuse me!!! these two beauties are gens out of the paneristi site http://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_Pan..._A_Panerai.html

DSN's PVD is the best out of the box PVD available.
Are your referring to DSN's new 009? http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/wat...ew%20PVD%20009/

If you want a 009, I wouldn't use the V CG. Pre-A 009s with Pre-V cases were pretty rare, I believe.
Would the FGD dial fit inside the DSN's case?

I know exactly where that picture is from, and I know they are gen watches. Hence the smiley faces after making fun of the non-existant "flaws".

Any of FGD's dials will work in a DSN case, AFAIK.

Yes, DSN's 009 would be an example of a Pre-A PAM009. Again, I *believe* that some of the very early Pre-A watches may have used Pre-V cases, but the majority would have used Vendome cases which were exactly the same as the A series and beyond cases. Those would not have had the Pre-V/current Historic shaped CGs, which is what V's pieces are replicas of (not to mention the two-piece screws and other differences of the case shape itself).

I'm building a Pre-A 009 and I must say if you can afford the Avitt DLC coating, go for it! I'm amazed everytime I look at it. It looks completly different than the DSN finish. Mine has a DSN dial at the moment, but I'm waiting for my dial from The Zigmeister to pop in.

I'm going to use this post to talk about how great of a guy The Zigmeister is. My original dial was stolen on the way back to me and The Zigmeister took his own personal dial that he was going to use and is going to lume that and send it my way. I can only say great things about the guy thus far! Can't wait to get it back so I can install it and finally have my perfect 009. I'll post pictures of it when it's complete. But The Zigmeister/FGD/Avitt is the way to go with a pre-a 009.

I'm building a Pre-A 009 and I must say if you can afford the Avitt DLC coating, go for it! I'm amazed everytime I look at it. It looks completly different than the DSN finish.

Thank you milesd!

Before DLC coating, was your case polished or brushed? Where did you get it from?

While Avitt's DLC coating is SUPERB, I wouldn't do it for a Pre-A 009 for one simple reason - DLC will not scratch/age like PVD does. This is a good thing, except when you are trying to replicate a 10+ year old PVD watch. It will look pristine and brand new for a long, long time. A real Pre-A watch wouldn't.

I would DLC a rep 005, Zero or 111 (heck, I'm going to have Avitt DLC my gen Zero when I get it), as that is not uncommon in the gen world. However, NO gen Pre-A owner would have their watch DLCd. It would kill most of the value. It would be like putting a fuel injected modern V8 in a classic car.

Food for thought...

...It will look pristine and brand new for a long, long time. A real Pre-A watch wouldn't.

However, NO gen Pre-A owner would have their watch DLCd. It would kill most of the value. It would be like putting a fuel injected modern V8 in a classic car.

Food for thought...

Thank you Peepshow, that was exactly the quality answer I needed to get.

This is the distinction.

The patina of time is an issue of huge importance when building a vintage watch.