When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Version of DSSD

Watchmeister

I picked up a new version of the DSSD (v.4.???) from an off-board dealer which comes from a different factory (or so I am told). In truth the dealer is sold out but I suspect that our dealers will pick it up or come out with their own improved version. I am really most curious to see what people think of this version. I am not a Rolex expert and have not seen the gen more than once or twice. I was wearing the v3 for a while though. Here are some pics and primitive observations as I am not a Rolex expert. [Apologies for the smudgy pics but I wanted to get it done while I had some down time]

IMGP2882.jpg

IMGP2884.jpg

You can see thicker bezel engraving and more reasonably sized bezel pearl. Date window is nowhere near gen but does at least show some bevel and the date although I have no idea whether it is correct font is centered on all numbers. Dial has crisp lettering but my sense is that it is too shiny and probably needs a matte clear coat but someone with the gen can comment. Crystal appears better and does have the small crown on it but is still somewhat lacking in the rise above the bezel insert. That may be fixable by removing some metal from the bezel though.

IMGP2861.jpg

IMGP2866.jpg

IMGP2876.jpg

Crown and cg area are similar to prior versions. I initially thought the He valve was too recessed but now I think it is about right. Bezel mechanism is built like a tank and I think the overall bezel shape is improved:

IMGP2860.jpg

IMGP2887.jpg

Bracelet and clasp seems as good as prior versions (and frankly you can fault the engraving but the overall bracelet is sturdier than a lot of my gen bracelets).

IMGP2888.jpg

And lume is blue but could still use a relume. The funny thing is the pearl and the hands glow brighter blue and longer

What do you think?

The bezel numbers do look different, but I am not sure that difference is an improvement. Since leaving the DSSD fold, I have not been following the various version changes on these reps, but I have to say that the shape of the date window on this 1 looks too rounded to me. I do not know any recent vintage (modern) gen Rolex that has such rounded corners on its date window. So, unless it is just an aberration of these pics, this is something that I think would require fixing in my opinion.

Bezel, gloss dial, band fit, blue-green hour markers with blue hands...this looks like the most recent version of the DSSD V3 that Andrew was shipping from GZ. A shot of the caseback would be more helpful in determining that; a few oddballs got spit out with one-piece casebacks, but most have the correct, and bigger, faux titanium piece.

Edited by gioarmani

Unless they've changed it somehow, what's pictured is the exact same as the latest version of this being shipped out:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...f09db243de91b7c

i think that's the point of kruzer's topic -- they have changed it -- just check out the thicker font on the bezel insert ;)

deltatahoe

Guest carlsbadrolex

I sure would like to get one of those bezel inserts... That is a real improvement over the thin font on the previous ones. But I also agree that the date window is a step backward. I am going to have my V2 dia relumed and some how get it into a v3 case.

That watch looks familiar for some reason, mostly because of the "M" in SYSTEM. Hmmmm. As far as that being a V4, I sure hope not. Looking at the HEV, I have to shake my head. Here's the V3 HEV :goes to take photo BRB:

Gen

Gen-He.jpg

Mine

HEV.jpg

Please note that I have links to replace the ones that are not "perfect," I just haven't installed them yet. :) Yours looks more like a V2 to me.

Guest carlsbadrolex

There are definitely "different" versions of this watch floating around. Today I picked one up locally (yes, I may have found someone in CONUS who has a decent supply). It is definitely a V3 case. It has correct HEV, the better rehaut, good engraving, crystal has the best coronet I have ever seen on a replica, blue lume all around (very bright)... And here is where it gets different. It has the matte dial and no reference number or serial number engraved between the lugs. It has the ORIG ROlEX DESIGN and STAINLESS STEEL... but no numbers. Which is fine by me, I have someone who will engrave them for me.

It has the 2 piece case back and genuine SWISS 2836-2. BUT it has the thin bezel font. The pearl is much better thant the V2 and appears to be as gen with the crystal over the lume.

The bracelet is the exact same as all of the V3's Ive seen.

I will try to get some pics up later today.