When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V2 BCE bezel removal

sconehead

Well, I had a spare BCE V2 watch case lying around with the intent to mod it. I've already sourced a gen crown and recently found a gen dial and bezel for it.

For your reference, the gen crown requires a tap 10 stem and a new tube fitting, with a 3.5mm thread that allows for a 2mm crown tube.

Before purchasing the bezel I thought I'd make sure the rep one can be removed. Here's what I found out as there are varying reports on how/if it can be done.

1. The screws on the bezel are a pain to remove, some unscrew easily, some just spin in their holes and some are so tight that you mince the heads up. I won't bore you with the details but I managed to remove all eight screws in the end.

2. The bezel wouldn't budge.

3. Hmmm, could something else be holding it on? I then decided to remove the rider tabs, three came off no problem, the last one was solid but I removed it in the end, again mincing the head up.

4. The bezel still wouldn't budge, therefore it must be pressed on.

5. Usually if something is a 'press fit' the difference in diameter of each part is normally around a tenth of a thou. No problem there, just apply heat. A hairdryer was utilised until the watch was too hot to hold, a case knife either side of the bezel and try to pry it off. No chance, it wouldn't budge.

Conclusion.

It is myth that the bezel is constructed like that of the gen.

The eight bezel retaining screws DO NOT act as those on the gen, they go right through the bezel but something still holds it on.

The rider tab screws DON'T go right through and are like those of the gen, having nothing to do with retaining the bezel.

The screws are poorly made on the rep, if there's any resistance they will chew up and this was using quality Bergeon screwdrivers.

The only way I can see the bezel coming off without damage is to apply heat and use some type of three legged puller. Bergeon do a bezel removal tool but it's very expensive for a one off job.

I'll attempt to remove the rep bezel using other methods without damaging it but eventually I will destroy it if needs be and see what mods will be needed to fit the genuine bezel.

I'll update this post if I have any success.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting news thx for sharing...

I am looking to head same path as u in near future and this sounds frustrating... im sure some people managed to do this but i also heard it was pain in the a....

Can someone chime in that maneged to get the bezel of a BCE?

regards LAz

That is the big problem with Breitling reps. My Chrono Avenger is in dire need of Chiefs AR, but because the rider tabs hang over the crystal, the bezel must be removed in order to remove the crystal. The last thing I want to do is destroy the watch while attempting to remove it. Same deal with the Skylands and Super Avengers. Not sure why these supposed 1 to 1 copies aren't constructed the same as the gen, but it's a pain in the ass. The good news is that on Breitlings newest releases the rider tabs don't seem to hang over the crystal, so removing the bezel won't be necessary on future Breit reps :)