When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster Crystal Mod

Lazoon

Does anyone here know if it is possible to remove the saphire crystal from a (Ruby) Speedmaster moonie

& replace it with a plastic domed crystal.

I've got several plastic domed crystals which match the diameter of the existing Speedmaster saphire crystal. I was hoping to

push out the saphire & press fit & bond the plastic domed crystal (1.1mm thick) in its place.

Any advice ?

Lazoon.

Best option is to pop out the old one and see if the domed ones fit. You can get a simple crystal press to try it out with. Just be careful with the display back.

I read somewhere that the plastic crystal will need to have an interference fit when fitted into the counterbore of the watch body.

I have a number of various domed plastic crystals going up in 0.5mm diameter increments, I'm hoping that one of these will have a snug fit.

I intend to remove the movement so as to give me free access from both sides.

I'm currently looking on e-bay for a crystal remover. this will allow me to compress & reduce the overall diameter of the

plastic crystal by 'a knats [censored]' & hopefully allow me to ease it into position.

One of my main fears is accidentally damaging the bezel or getting glue on it.

Do you know of a good quality crystal retaining glue (clear) that would help keep the replacement crystal in position?

regards.

lazoon.

Edited by Lazoon

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know of a good quality crystal retaining glue (clear) that would help keep the replacement crystal in position?

GS Hypo Cement - available from good hobby shops or any watch material house. Nice hollow needle applicator. An Indian knock-off crystal tool from Otto Frei runs about $26, twice that for the Bergeon.